Trap Doors

B.Forsaken

Arachnopeon
I also have one of these. I got her a week ago and so far she is not interested in food ,and has yet to build a burrow.
She sure is pooping man that stuff is all over the lid ;with that kind of power you'd think they could fly:eek:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also have one of these. I got her a week ago and so far she is not interested in food ,and has yet to build a burrow.
She sure is pooping man that stuff is all over the lid ;with that kind of power you'd think they could fly:eek:
yup, that is what mine did also(didn't make a burrow until it molted,but mine did eat up to that point)now i never see her,or my other 1 aswell.give it time it will,it's most likely getting ready to molt.

B.Forsaken

Arachnopeon
Well she never did molt , but about a week ago she built a trap door and kind of a burrow more of a hut.
She is eating now. Quite a treat watching her.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very cool. How big is the spider and what's it in? Looks like a vial?

<Edit: I'm half evil

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very cool. How big is the spider and what's it in? Looks like a vial?

<Edit: I'm half evil
Thanks. The spider in that video is a juvenile and is around 3.5cm(~1.5"). Yeah, it's in one of those clear type vials.

That was awesome! Loved the quality of the video to. Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks and No problem. The video quality really sucks when you upload stuff onto youtube, so I used photobucket.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice!!! :clap: I should try photobucket for videos.

How did you get a hold of an immature one?

†-MarK-†

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi!

How strong is a trapdoors venom in general? Can you compare it with some of the more venomous tarantulas like poecilotheria spp. or is it more dangerous? How does it affect you?

I´m thinkin about gettin an African one ( red trapdoor, gorgyrella spec. )

Regards

Mark

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice!!! :clap: I should try photobucket for videos.

How did you get a hold of an immature one?
Yes definately, much better IMO.

I traded for it, but I didn't know it was gonna be immature. :D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi!

How strong is a trapdoors venom in general? Can you compare it with some of the more venomous tarantulas like poecilotheria spp. or is it more dangerous? How does it affect you?

I´m thinkin about gettin an African one ( red trapdoor, gorgyrella spec. )

Regards

Mark
I don't know exactly, but it is said that Gorgyrella sp. have very strong venom, much stronger than a tarantulas. I don't have any report or anything to back this up, so hopefully someone with something can come by and shed some light.

This species is very easy to keep though because they can't climb, and usually don't try to run away becuase they'll just keep trying to bite you. If you keep your fingers away you'll be alright.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the liny's?

not something you can just pop into a shop for but their have been hobbyists who get them from time to time.

i think Crotalus might have had a segmented spider before... but i could easily be misremembering. someone on the boards did, though
botar had some , not sure if he still does...not sure i should be answerng this thread tho its a tad old lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my brother dug this one up wile digign a ditch. its now in a cube wiht coco fibre and buried about 5" deep lol
crickets go in and never seen again lol

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking about getting one of the African red trapdoors (Gorgyrella sp). Whats their expected lifespan? Ive seen this question several times on this thread already but are they a high low or moderate humidity animal

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the way that black one out of Texas is beautiful too bad you dont see it much. Its Ctenizid right? Any idea on the species

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've read that the African females can live 20+ years!

I keep mine fairly moist. I have them in KKs, and whenever the top 1/4" or so looks dry, I give them a good misting.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Trapdoor spider

hello i am new to the arachnoboards and i have a few questions about my Red TrapDoor Spider

well heres the First question
-i was wondering when i should feed her beacuse the door is looking like its pulled down so much that i cant go donw anymore.

-and i have read that some trapdoors or all keep there legs out of the door just a little bit to feel vibrations is that true?

-One more thing how long can she live for?

thanks for reading :)

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't own one and never have but I suggest just throwing the food in there. If I'm not mistaken, they have trip lines that tell them if something edible is crawling around on the surface.

Good luck with feeding and tell us how it goes :)