Trap Doors

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a mature male of a Cyphonisia sp. "Kenia" (Barychelidae) and I tried to mate them. I´m not quite sure if the attempt was successful, but we´ll see in a few weeks. The second female killed that male :(
Where did you manage to get you male from? and do you have any pictures of him?

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, the male was a WC from Kenya. He moulted one time after he´d been imported to Germany and there he was an ultimate male ;)
Sure I´ve got pictures of him..I´ll post them here soon.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So would i be right in assuming he behaved just like a female specimen untill the ultimate moult?

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So would i be right in assuming he behaved just like a female specimen untill the ultimate moult?
That´s what he did. He dug a whole and built a trapdoor but left his burrow after he moulted from penultimate to ultimate male. Unfortunately I wasn´t able to observe the mating, so I´m not sure if there even was one. As I wrote...we´ll see.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amazing pictures everyone! Trap doors have such a deep persona about them in terms of behavior, physical makeup and overall niche.:D

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are some pics of the structure of the burrow and trap door, which has been constructed very quickly. I wanted to get a full dorsal shot today, but seem to have missed my chance. She's already down to the bottom of the container, and added a 90 degree turn that allows her to completely disappear. I don't have the heart to tear it all up, especially considering how well she's settling in.

I believe I have the same species as posted by Philth in the beginning of this thread. I was comparing the body and eye structure to his when I brought her home. The fact that we live very close to each other may also, but not necessarily, mean that they are part of the same wholesale shipment.

Anyway, enjoy the pics....

This first one is the untouched, closed burrow. Notice the use of the oak leaves and other detritus I provided to give it some stability

Last edited:

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is straight down with the top held open. You can see how much deeper the burrow is since I took pictures yesterday....

Last edited:

roo

Arachnopeon
Scott,

Very interesting, it built its hole in the corner - the same area my red TD built it's and the trap door opens the same way too.

The problem with the hinge the way that it is, is that a feeder needs to be RIGHT in the corner for it to snag it - or else when it opens the door - the feeder gets launched through the air since the feeder is somewhat right on top of the door. I witnessed this several times with mine. Given time they make a grab but a fair amount of time the feeder gets launched through the air.

-roo

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suppose that could be alright if it actually caused the spider to have to come out and run after it.. but I dount they would actually do so would they?

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL- Well, I could set up a ring of fire at the other end and open up my own cricket circus ;)

Seriously though, I was just handing her crix with a forceps before she dug in. If they don't disappear on thier own, I should be able to drop them in for her...

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are the trap doors with the segmented plates on the abdomen available in the hobby?
I don't think that genus is available in the pet trade, but boy they certainly are primative looking aren't they.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think that genus is available in the pet trade, but boy they certainly are primative looking aren't they.
the liny's?

not something you can just pop into a shop for but their have been hobbyists who get them from time to time.

i think Crotalus might have had a segmented spider before... but i could easily be misremembering. someone on the boards did, though

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that would be awesome.. they showed one on the "silk spinners" episode of that "life in the undergrowth" series... very cool lookin.