Trap door spiders?

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wanted to get one, but I hear that they can kill a person.. And I dont want to get one if thats the case. Not like I want to handle it anyways. Just that, if I leave the top open, will it come out to get me or something

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hampton,

I doubt that's the case.

Could it be possible that you're confusing them with funnelwebs, possibly?:?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trapdoor spiders : Gorgryella , venomous, but not deadly

Funnelweb spiders : Atrax and Hadronyche, extremely venomous, highly deadly.

A trapdoor bite will definitely hurt, it might even have a few systemic affects, but it is by no means deadly.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Didn't you see eight legged freaks? They grow to the size of a volkswagen and will build huge plywood trapdoors and eat ostriches and people for lunch.

Bill

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Didn't you see eight legged freaks? They grow to the size of a volkswagen and will build huge plywood trapdoors and eat ostriches and people for lunch.

Bill
Doh! But we assume there are no guys who accidentally drop barrels of chemical waste in ponds where he lives. That way the spiders won't drink the stuff, and don't grow that huge!
*wonders in what kind of world you live* :p

Dennis

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you Bill:) I hope the crickets that I catch near my local pond wont effect them in any way:) But thats just waht I hear, I wanted to get one from Kelly Swift..... Hope I dont get killed by my one T...

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the other common trapdoor is the african red one, 'stasimopus robertsi'

if i remember correctly (i learnt this when i was 12 or so) they have a venom designed to activate the sodium glands, which are responsible for the rtransmission of 'messages' throughout the body, hence symtpons being drooling, shivering, shaking, increased heart rate, respiration problems etc

i dont think you die unless your severly allergic...

according to many, once they go in their burrow, they stay there, other than to exit for building materials, or when it matures to a male (if it does) in search of some loving

hope that helps

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by hampton
Thank you Bill:) I hope the crickets that I catch near my local pond wont effect them in any way:) But thats just waht I hear, I wanted to get one from Kelly Swift..... Hope I dont get killed by my one T...
It's not a good idea to feed ANYTHING you catch outside to your non-native inverts...

The problem is that if you catch something out in your back yard, chances are it's grown immune to pesticides, et. al., so feeding it crix from your backyard will be fine. But, for non-native species, crickets caught outside could carry pesticide residue and parasites that could kill it... it is never a good idea to use "outdoor" crickets as feeders unless you're feeding them to something you also caught in the same area...

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LMAO! dude, I know this.
This is what I ment by it:) I would never trust my self if i did that;P