Transporting a molting tarantula.

Skrupo

Arachnopeon
Hello guys
I'll be moving in about a month and will need to transport my two Ts. It's about a 5 hour drive, mostly on highway, no rough off-road driving.Brachypelma will be fine. I'll put her in a plastic container lined with paper towel. I had the same plan for LP except for using a much larger container. She's almost adult with prickly temperament, very defensive, which means that catching her calmly and slowly is quite difficult.
The problem is that she didn't take food today which only ever happens in pre-molt. This could put her in a vulnerable situation in the next few weeks. I don't want to move and handle her much Do you think it would be safer to transfer her in her enclosure? It's made of glass but pretty sturdy and her cork hideout is set firmly in the soil. I would take the water dish out while driving.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'd just take out anything that she could bang against. Put her container in a secure position of your vehicle. Drive normally if normally means not aggressive and crazy.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Hello guys
I'll be moving in about a month and will need to transport my two Ts. It's about a 5 hour drive, mostly on highway, no rough off-road driving.Brachypelma will be fine. I'll put her in a plastic container lined with paper towel. I had the same plan for LP except for using a much larger container. She's almost adult with prickly temperament, very defensive, which means that catching her calmly and slowly is quite difficult.
The problem is that she didn't take food today which only ever happens in pre-molt. This could put her in a vulnerable situation in the next few weeks. I don't want to move and handle her much Do you think it would be safer to transfer her in her enclosure? It's made of glass but pretty sturdy and her cork hideout is set firmly in the soil. I would take the water dish out while driving.
I've ran into the same problem in the past, fortunately it was a calm B. Smithi, the journey was only 1/2 hour, so quite a difference from your journey time, I would remove anything in the enclosure that could harm the T, anything moveable - move. The T's should be OK as long as their kept in a dark box with a few sheets (bedding) in the box to stop the enclosure moving.
Hope all goes smoothly @Skrupo

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Doesn't matter much. Premolt will probably last months. Pack securely but I'd leave room for a possible molt.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yo
Hello guys
You wait

14pokies

Arachnoprince
There was a thread recently where I gave the OP the advice of packing his Tarantulas as if he was shipping them.. He didn't follow the advice and lost a very nice tarantula..

Don't transport it in it's enclosure.. With a big girl like that I would pack her in something that is slightly longer than she is and about an inch or so taller than her legs so she has room to push the molt off if she does happen to molt..
Don't give her enough room on the sides to roll around.. That's the last thing you want a molting tarantula to do..
Line the entire container with paper towels so that she fits allmost snug front to back and side to side.
Make sure the paper towels stop about half an inch from the top of the container so that you can put a half inch of paper towels on the top that will fit under the lid.. Set up properly she should have enough room to molt and still be secure..

If my directions are confusing I can shoot a video of how I would do it and drop it here. Let me know.

Last edited:

Skrupo

Arachnopeon
Thanks for replies. The timing couldn't be worse and unfortunately I won't be able to wait and there is none to take care of her in the meantime. Despite her size and age she generally doesn't spend more than 3-4 weeks in pre-molt. Also might be in pre-molt for a while since I haven't fed her in two weeks. I'll try to pack her as carefully as possible. I just hope I don't hurt my little psycho.