Transferring fast/ defensive, slings/ juvies out of vials

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Just wanted to share a new trick I've been using when transferring small T's with lightning speed that has made rehousing's as easy as can be.

First you need to take two deli cup lids and cut them so they fit around the enclosure. For containers that have a lip around the rim cut them to fit around the bottom and slide up. If the container has no lip/ narrower around the top than bottom cut it so it slides snugly over the top

Attachments

Last edited:

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Next, open up the enclosure and pop a deli cup with a very small hole cut into it over the enclosure. You want the hole to be just large enough to fit you tool of choice through. I use the wooden end of a paint brush for slings and bendy straws for juvies

Attachments

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Now comes the fun parts :)

Using said tool of choice; maneuver the T up out of the vial and into the upper corner of the deli cup like pictured. Move slowly and be patient, you don't want to be jabbing at them.

Attachments

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Next slowly and gently pop the deli cup off the lid and move it over to the new enclosure. Again SLOWLY, this is the only point during the transfer where the risk of bolting is present. In my experiences so far once they are up in the corner they will not move unless greatly disturbed

Attachments

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Then the final action of getting them down into the new enclosure can prove difficult with some individuals. I've had some run straight in once touched with the brush, and others that spent 10 minutes sprinting laps around the walls of the deli cup, before finally going in.

The specimen transferred in the pictures is a 1" S. calceatum. Which I didn't notice until I got it out of the enclosure is in premolt.

I have a P. irminia that needs a transfer in the next week or so, i can try to get a video of it uploaded if that would be helpful to anyone.

Would love to hear everyone's questions/comments and concerns.

Attachments

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Good guide but its in the wrong section. Pretty sure its suppose to be in the Tarantula Chat section. Should be a how-to aswell!

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Haha, I have a very small bathroom and it makes maneuvering around quite difficult. I had to come up with a safer way to do it in a larger room without worrying about having a little one disappear underneath or into something, and I've never been a fan of the bag method. Idk why, never tried it just don't like it lol

---------- Post added 07-19-2014 at 02:39 PM ----------

Good guide but its in the wrong section. Pretty sure its suppose to be in the Tarantula Chat section. Should be a how-to aswell!

I thought that this section would be more appropriate. If I read the rules right this section is for postings in which your looking for a serious discussion and chat is for thing like what color tarantula you should get next. I apologize to the mods if I was wrong and feel free to move it.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a neat method, I could have really used that when I rehoused my ezendami last week, their like little lightening bolts !! Thanks for sharing

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I might have to try this. Normally I just open up the lid, grab my thin paint brush and make very soft motions near the T to get it to move. Most of the time they are rehoused without issue, my only problem T has been my L. Violaceopes. One soft motion near it, and its halfway across the bathtub, LOL.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Looks like a massive faff to me!

Faff? Never see that one before

---------- Post added 07-19-2014 at 05:30 PM ----------

I might have to try this. Normally I just open up the lid, grab my thin paint brush and make very soft motions near the T to get it to move. Most of the time they are rehoused without issue, my only problem T has been my L. Violaceopes. One soft motion near it, and its halfway across the bathtub, LOL.

I had never had any real issues before with rehousing before and still transfer all my NW's besides my Psalmo's that way. I thought this up after fracturing my elbow and spending 2 weeks in a cast and the next month after that in a brace, i had some Psalmo's and a P. ornata that needed rehousing and i didn't want to have to try catching any of them with a bummed arm if by chance they bolted on me. After a coulpe transfers like this i found it was so easy i just kept using it.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't know the word "faff" either, but I understand them to get massive....hmmmm.

faff=a waste of time...time spent in an ineffectual process.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Fast slings shouldn't be an issue for anyone but newbies, and they shouldn't start off with those species anyways. Slings rarely if ever try to bite a human. They're quick but can't cover as much ground as a bigger specimen. I do my vial/cage transfers on a tall bar stool; if the spider runs out, it almost always stops somewhere on the stool seat or legs. I just transferred 14 Stromatopelma slings from vials to 32 oz deli cups this way. No issues. And I always seem to have a lot of Poec slings. From your pics, you're putting the Stromatoplema sling in a cage it's going to quickly outgrow (especially being premolt). It should be in a 32 oz deli cup at that size, so you're not doing cage transfers so often. Making extra work for yourself.

When I take slings away from their mother's cage, I put a sheet of thin, clear plastic (painter's type) in the middle of the floor and roll up the edges. They stop and hide at the edges. I'll have dozens or hundreds of quick slings to separate and this works great. You can do this with vial to deli cup transfers too.

A flaw in your methodology is that it's older/larger specimens that pose a FAR bigger issue for transfers. Who cares if a 1/2" OBT runs around? When it's a 5" OBT, that's a whole different thing. Then it's a hazard. For those larger fast/defensive spiders I use my superior human intelligence and transfer them when they're at a disadvantage: on a cool morning, and/or when they're pre or post molt. They'll be slower at these times and you don't need to build complicated contraptions to transfer them.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know the word "faff" either, but I understand them to get massive....hmmmm.
I do now and it's going in my vocabulary.

Sorry to bust your OUO's but I think it's "a lot for a little". I use the easy does it and don't breathe on them method. Nice, slow movements from house to house.

E for effort

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry Americans! Faff is an English colloquialism, but it's one that I thought was appropriate for this situation.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
Not sure I want to go through all that - I use the bag method - simple, safe & fuss free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David VB

Arachnosquire
Pff, i just ask them friendly to move their butts and get into their new home, and they all do that without any problem :p