trailerpark style co2 knokout

Malleus

Arachnopeon
NO2 is nitrogen dioxide, a reddish-brown toxic gas with a sharp, biting odor.
Nitrous oxide is N2O, aka laughing gas.
A confusion of these two would be fatal ;-)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Finally got my soda kit & had some time to try it out. Lighting was less than ideal & I developed a leak somwhere in the process. Opinions welcome...please say why you think it is male/female. Constructive criticism on camera angles, etc. welcome as well. Cheers...

1)

Male?

2)

Female?

3)

Female?

4)

Almost certain this is male...spinning organ looks vaguely like a Snork horn/teletubby appendage?

Last edited:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe canned air is co2 as well. And yes is does suffocate the animal, and can kill. If delivered into the chamber properly(very slowly), it's a humane way to kill feeder rats & mice. If not delivered properly, it can cause an acidic reaction in the throat of the animal and cause much suffering before death, sort of like drowning.

google "Guidelines for Performing Euthanasia via C02" if interested.

Be careful. Most Canned air is Tetrafluoroethane. It's pretty much Freon.

Ridoo

Arachnopeon
Hi!

1) shemale,

cause I don't see anything ;) Maybe you have to take a detailed picture. Later i have to look up at my Ethmostigmus pictures to do a comparison.

2) female,

because you can only see the genital atrium and genital sternite 1.
(No gonopods and second genitalsternite - S. subspinipes does have highly visible gonopods).

3) female (same as 2)

4) male,

it shows visible gonopods, second genitalsternite and spinning organ.

Well done!

regards
René

Ridoo

Arachnopeon
Hi,

i have painted the "visible" characteristics in your pictures.

S. heros male: (you don't see the gonopods at the first photo)

S. s. dehaani female:

a: anal orifice
at: anal tergite
av: anal valves
ga: genital atrium
go: gonopods
gs1: genital sternite 1
gs2: genital sternite 2
is: intersegmental membrane
sp: spinning organ

regards
René

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thank you for the feedback, Rene:worship:

I was a little hasty with posting and hadn't studied the genital characters enough. Got my spinning organs and gonopods confused.

One thing that was maddeningly consistent was medium and small specimens took more gas to knock out, while the larger 'pedes were relatively easy. I would have had many more sexing photos otherwise.

Any suggestions for a better light bulb to accentuate the shadows? What did you guys use?

Ridoo

Arachnopeon
Hey,

One thing that was maddeningly consistent was medium and small specimens took more gas to knock out, while the larger 'pedes were relatively easy.
At my sessions I noticed it the other way around ;) Try to wait a minute. The carbon dioxide concentrates in particular places at the bottom of your box. Its heavier than air.

Your light is perfect. Try to turn it down as far as possible.

I've looked at my (bad) pics concerning E. trigonopodus:

My guess: Without the black spines, be sure it's a male!

and

Its a couple:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=165579

Other species:

Female

Male:

regards René

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hi Rene...I just noticed that the sexes are reversed in this ^ post here from the photos in the sexing thread. They are the same photos, right?

Your tip about letting the gassed 'pede sit for a moment before everting the genitals worked out very well and gave me more time to photograph each one...thanks!

Ridoo

Arachnopeon
Hey,

you are right! But now I'm sure the sexes in this thread are right. At that time we have been confused. Because we didn't have any other E. trigonopodus to examinate.
A lot of time passed by the last year. Maybe it was only a mistake.

Everyone can see that spinning organ now and this is the only thing that is important :D :D

By the way, good job! ;)

regards
René

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just out of curiosity. would any one be willing to sex my pede? I dont have the know how at all. But I would love to try and breed it someday if possible.

pm if you can or would.