Tragic

Vasinist

Arachnopeon
Two nights ago, everything was going well. My 5 inch T. Blondi was on his back getting ready to pop off his skin, and become a more intimidating dude. I woke up yesterday to find that he was stuck in his molt. I immediately turned on an automatic mister I purchased specifically for him, in hopes to soften up his old skin so that he could remove his one leg from it. After two hours, I noticed that he was still stuck. I opened up the cage, removed his wooden burrow, and moved the old exoskeleton that was still attached to him a little to see why he hadn't freed himself yet. I was horrified to see that what I thought was simply one stuck leg, happened to be all four of his right side legs. It took me approximately four hours on and off with the automatic mister, and the softest paintbrush I had, to remove his legs from the exoskeleton. His four right legs looked mangled, and unnaturally straight. After eight hours of being on his back, I gently rotated him so that he would be situated normally. I was watching him, and noticed that while his four right legs are straight, his four left legs are bent more so then normal.

I tried to do everything I could, I dedicated an entire day to his well being, hoping that he would in the end have a higher quality of life. I hope that I didn't preform the ultimate irony by hurting him more. I was too afraid that he would die from bleeding if he lost all four of his legs. All he can do now is sort of move his legs side to side, he can barely bend them. I'll check on him periodically hoping for a miracle. I've been a hobbyist for over two years now, and i've never run into this problem before. Can anyone with experience on this issue please tell me if what I did was the right thing? If not, i'll know better in case this happens again in the future. Thank you.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Don't think you could have done much else.
Here's a thread with pretty much the same problem in the end (around page four and up).
Sorry 'bout the spider.