trading old for new

Do you still have your beginner t's?

• Yes I still love them and didnt want to give them up.

Votes: 73 90.1%
  • Hell no, I dumped that crap to make room for the good stuff.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • option two but I don't like the way it was worded.

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just wondering how many of those here who consider themselves "experienced" keepers have found that they gave up the staple species (G. rosea, A. avicularia, A. seemani etc.) as they progressed into the more difficult, rare, and defensive tarantulas, and how many still keep those first t's that started them out in the hobby.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have a soft spot for my first Ts. They are just as cool as my more expensive and difficult to keep ones. No reason for me to give them up!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldn't consider myself totally experienced or anything close to it...but i still have the good ole G. rosea even though I have a P. fasciata sling, adult male P. murinus, female H. lividum, and the good ole H. maculata....oh and don't forget the hair kicking T. blondi.

Risto

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Cool survey... I can't wait to see the results.

As for me, I would give up my first T just about as fast as I would give up the German Shephard that I have raised from a pup for 8 years! They're ALL individuals to me!!!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I actually have a very soft spot for the first Ts I was exposed to: B. smithi, A. avicularia, and B. albopilosum and all three are in my collection and will probably be permanent members. Heck, it was my desire to get another smithi and A. avic that got me into this current gaggle of Ts. I realise B. smithi is no longer a 'common, staple T', but it's all relative to when you first became a T owner.

Conversely, I do have a thoroughly biased negative viewpoint of G. rosea because it was what became the staple spider after B. smithi disappeared in the mid 80s with the advent of CITES. I've never been able to get around that for some reason - misplaced resentment issues I guess :) I will also admit to a mostly blah perception of A. seemanni for similar reasons although they've been around forever in the trade.

I've never had either of those two 'staple' species and probably never will.

On the whole, though, my collection just expands rather than giving up anything unless I find something just doesn't do anything for me. eg. My C. cyanopubescens and P. nigricolor are the first and last of these species and genera I'll keep because I don't find them particularly interesting after having kept them.

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I too surely dont qualify as an expert, but though my number of T's has grown, the species I had in the beginning will always be special to me.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey

I hate My G.rosea(Liza)also I hate Liza and Liza Hates me. I love mercury he was my first docile T, But Starting out with a P. irminia is not a good thing when you don't know much about Ts, But I have come to love aphrodite and she loves me. any ways have a nice day
geo

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I actually have a very soft spot for the first Ts I was exposed to
me too. ive found that ill not be able to get new t's for a while without selling some of what i have to make space and money. at first i considered it, until i realized i liked them all and didnt want to part with any. (until a few slings mature and ive gotten the females i want) so i sat down and came to the conclusion that i have plenty of inverts that im happy with for the moment, and ill just be content with the collection i have until i get situated after the baby comes, and i get a house after ive settled with the IRS. so long story short im keeping my "beginer" t's, i find my A. semanni every bit as interesting as my H. maculata, my P. murinus, my T. blondi, or my E. pachypus.

I hate G. rosea!
ummmm. may i ask why?

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I still have my very first T (rosehair) It just don't live with me right now. My daughter talked me into loaning it to her science class. It's being taken care of, but I miss her.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I still have my first two t's. Of course a rosie and a cobalt. Wasnt aware that a cobalt wasnt for beginners til I started reading up on them. The guy at the pet shop was just reaching in with his finger pushin her around saying, "see how calm she is, I bet you could pick her up, you wanna pick her up?". WHATEVER.

dale

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i dont like rosehairs, there boring to me the first T i ever had is a basic pink toe i have a soft spot for those i like them alot

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I still have my first Ts. I mean, I just got them less than 3 months ago. :)

Bry

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Im pretty much in the same boat. I bought my first T only back on March 31st which was my rose and then to a pinktoe and then to a suntiger and a couple more advanced and so on. I love them all even though my Rose is a lazy @ss that doesnt do very much. I love them all and wouldnt give any up. I have even bought another pinktoe because it was too cute to pass up. It doesnt matter to me how docile or defensive they are. And what I find too is that my defensive T's hide more than my docile ones, so docile has its upside too. I am only up to 11 T's right now and soon to be 12.

peace

TheDon

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I definitely don't qualify for expert status, I'd classify myself as a middle beginner. I still have my first T, a G. rosea given to me by my drunken brother back in November of 2002. I love all 23 of my T's, but "Mickey" the very first rosea is probably the most special. You just can't replace your first T. It's kind of like your first love, always remembered with fondness......unless your first love was an A-hole like mine! ;P

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I still have the beginner T's along with a host of more difficult T's. You always hold a soft spot for the A. avics and A. seemanni's. Now I wouldn't buy a G. rosea but I have one that was unwanted by someone and I took it in, they are a boring species though. My collection will only continue to increase and only through losing an older beginner T to the great web in the sky will I not have them.

Andy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by si_sleaf
"Hate" is a bit strong. Why do you hate them?
Ever dedicate a ten gallon aquarium to a brown pet rock?

It was good for handling and got me over my tarantulaaphobia. But after that, I just plain got bored - really bored.

Jon

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'll have them forever. you can't give them up! they are the key to your obbsession!
-Mike

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I dare you to find a carapace as beautiful as a g.rosea's in the sunlight!:rolleyes: