Totally Unexpected!

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So, my Scolopendra subspinipes 'Vietnam' hasn't eaten since her last molt, which was months ago, so I figured I'd try feeding her today, I lift up the water wish, and she's under there, with eggs! Not a whole brood, I only saw 4 or 5, typical yellow translucent spheres, I hope she doesn't eat them now that she's been disturbed. I really didn't see that coming though, I bought her wild caught at an expo last summer, she's had no contact with other pedes, and has molted since I got her, so I'm figuring the eggs are infertile? Anyone else had this happen?

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So... You've got a female:)
Don't disturb her, mayby she will lay some more eggs:)

Greg

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, definitely leaving her alone now, it would be great if they're fertile, but I know a lot of other invertebrates don't remain fertilized through a molt.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some/all(?) scolopendromorpha retain sperm across molts, so the eggs very well could be fertile

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Caco, does it say in Shelly's book how long they can retain sperm. I remember someone here on the boards say some(?) centipedes can retain sperm up to around 18 months:? .

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't know if shelley's book says it or not. it might not, as it is more a taxo/distro book, rather than a bio book

check this thread out
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=11241
it has a S. heros that makes something like three broods in three years, all without refreshing sperm supply

oh yeah, and p.s. i actually talked to Shelley! well, he responded to a thread of mine on the ATS board. i still have afterglow from it =P

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There was someone on here whose 'pede laid fertile eggs annually for three or four years running -- molting once per year, as well.

Edit: caco found the thread I was referencing and hit "post" about a second before I did.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, my Scolopendra subspinipes 'Vietnam' hasn't eaten since her last molt, which was months ago, so I figured I'd try feeding her today, I lift up the water wish, and she's under there, with eggs! Not a whole brood, I only saw 4 or 5, typical yellow translucent spheres, I hope she doesn't eat them now that she's been disturbed. I really didn't see that coming though, I bought her wild caught at an expo last summer, she's had no contact with other pedes, and has molted since I got her, so I'm figuring the eggs are infertile? Anyone else had this happen?
just about all of my centies,ethmostimas,scolos(females ofcourse) lay eggs and they are fertile, some have molted and still later on laid fertile eggs, they were all wild caught. it's really amazing with these centipedes:clap:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i don't know if shelley's book says it or not. it might not, as it is more a taxo/distro book, rather than a bio book

check this thread out
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=11241
it has a S. heros that makes something like three broods in three years, all without refreshing sperm supply

oh yeah, and p.s. i actually talked to Shelley! well, he responded to a thread of mine on the ATS board. i still have afterglow from it =P
Haaa! Cool. You should go ahead and email him with some questions or personal experiences you've had. I got a response and I'm just a dude that likes pedes. Him replying to a thread might mean he was actually interested though, but with my email, he might have only felt obligated, hehehe:eek: .