total newb question

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
total newb question/ Whats this white stuff by mouth of my avic

yaya stupid question but in new to T's..

1. where is the anus located on a tarantula(pic of general area would help)?

2. Whats this white stuff?

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avics are known to get that white stuff around their mouth parts. I have seen mine walk through their poo a few times and get it there. It seems to dry out and do nothing so its harmless.
And as for where the anus is, go in a straight line back toward the abdomen from your circle, and just below the spinnerets there is the anus. If you just got her then it wont be long before you catch her pooing on the side of the glass. Or when doing tank maint catching her pooing in your direction. {D

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol alright thanks for the info, i dont see any poo around..i saw some white stuff in the water bowl this morning that i cleaned out tho. I was just nervious about the white stuff by the mouth...

thanks for pointing that out in the pic also. as long as this pics here if anyone wants to guess the sex go ahead

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No question is stupid,

1)The Anus is located under the spinnerets. In the red circle; I edited your picture.

2)I'm not sure what the white stuff is, but I see it only on my avics as well. Someone with a positive answer would be great!

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm well the fact that you also see it makes me feel better about it. i just wounder what is is?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, got there before me Ryan. Stupid wireless internet was being lame,

anyway I don't think the white stuff in the mouth area is poo, I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's not poo(This is about the 4th thread that I've talked about poo in...woah).

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unless its white and moving you have nothing to worry about it will dry around the mouth area and nothing seems to come from it.
However if you see white and its moving or increases in size....... thats a different story.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unless its white and moving you have nothing to worry about it will dry around the mouth area and nothing seems to come from it.
However if you see white and its moving or increases in size....... thats a different story.
yea i checked and didnt see it moveing, at least not that i can tell

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I take it your referring to nematodes(sp?) right?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its fine then. Just keep an eye out. Another sign of nematodes is she will become sluggish and might not be able to climb, I dont see that being the case with yours so dont worry.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its fine then. Just keep an eye out. Another sign of nematodes is she will become sluggish and might not be able to climb, I dont see that being the case with yours so dont worry.
yea i jsut looked at it again, the T is now on the other side of this enclosure...and i can see the white stuff on the glass in a small spot and on the floor(with just a tiny bit left on its mouth)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I swear they play with their poo....... I need more avics they are tons of fun to have.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright this is interesting, I always thought it was just my Avicularia aviculara that did this, but now that you mentioned it and made this thread I searched it up and found out that most people with avics have experienced this "white stuff". After reading about it in some of these threads: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/search.php?searchid=805370 I came to a conclusion that avics seem to do this as a natural thing, maybe cleaning their mouth parts and the "white stuff" is just little bits and pieces of left over prey items, digestive enzymes(sp?), etc.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I swear they play with their poo....... I need more avics they are tons of fun to have.
It can't be because after witnessing first hand and reading the threads mentioned above that the "white stuff" originates from their mouths.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so from reading peoples first responce is nemitoads, and others say its cleaning. I wouldnt think its nemitoads with all the threads on the SAME species doing the SAME thing..its gotta be something they do natural, and alot of replys are people saying their T had it then it went away and doing fine. So i hope its all ok

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh man thanks for the link Paul, im feelin better now:)
No problem!

so from reading peoples first responce is nemitoads, and others say its cleaning. I wouldnt think its nemitoads with all the threads on the SAME species doing the SAME thing..its gotta be something they do natural
I totally agree! Plus, all the Avicularia avicularias I've had have done this and none have died, so it is definately something natural.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No problem!

I totally agree! Plus, all the Avicularia avicularias I've had have done this and none have died, so it is definately something natural.
oh more good news, you rock! lol thanks...if anything else happens ill let you guys know, but looks like its nothing bad so hopefully i wont be back with any other news!