Toss or Tongs

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have four slings, two are 1/2" P iirmina and the other two are 3/4-1"Poecilotheria rufilata.

I put a Dubia in each enclosurs so i just drop them in , no particular place.

However, I think they (dubia) burrowed and I've never seen Ts dig up food... From now on with slings should I just tong feed or leave them to their own devices?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
crush the roaches head first...their legs will still work basically, but they won't be able to burrow. If you put them on their backs with a crushed head they make a bunch of movement and attract the t quickly.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've never tong fed any of my Ts but I also don't just drop it in. I lightly place it at a decent distance to the T if it is out or near it's hide/burrow if it is not. I have mostly fed Dubias thus far and like CB said crushing the heads will stop the burrowing and will keep them from freezing making it harder for the T to detect them.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
What exactly is 'tong feeding'? Is it just taking the prey and putting it close to where the tarantula is with the tongs, or is it waiting until the spider actually takes the prey directly from the tongs?

louise f

Arachnoangel
What exactly is 'tong feeding'? Is it just taking the prey and putting it close to where the tarantula is with the tongs, or is it waiting until the spider actually takes the prey directly from the tongs?
Tong feeding is when you wait for the T to take the prey direct from the tongs.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tong feeding is when you wait for the T to take the prey direct from the tongs.
Sounds nice in theory, huh?

If I wasn't worried about them attacking the tongs, I might be able to entice some of my pickier eaters...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It is not something i would recommend doing either. Because the T can get hurt on the fangs.
Absolutely. I have had a couple lunge at the tongs when I have been putting the prey in and I would be very concerned about fang damage. I try to avoid them coming in contact with the tongs at all. They can't even see - they aren't going to be able to tell the difference between tongs and food.
Plus, I would suspect that might result in spiders coming up the tongs at you. Nope... no thank you on that front.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Good question, I've been wondering this myself. I had a few small crickets disappear this week. Should I try to dig them up? My A anax sling has a lot of tunnels and I don't want to disturb his home too much. Does ripping the heads off crickets help too? Those little buggers just disappeared.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I use millimeter sized crickets only, for tiny slings like first instars. I just drop the cricket inside.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Have to admit to tong feeding my adult A avic. She was in very poor condition when i got her and spent the first night on her back with me dripping water to her. She never charges her prey so I use my rubber tipped tongs to entice her into eating. I'm pretty careful to hold the dubia to where she never touches the tongs. Usually she delicately takes it and sits a while before even biting into it .

The rest hunt their food like proper spiders including my other avics.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Have to admit to tong feeding my adult A avic. She was in very poor condition when i got her and spent the first night on her back with me dripping water to her. She never charges her prey so I use my rubber tipped tongs to entice her into eating. I'm pretty careful to hold the dubia to where she never touches the tongs. Usually she delicately takes it and sits a while before even biting into it .
The rest hunt their food like proper spiders including my other avics.
I have an older A. avic who I suspect might have been tong fed before coming to me. I don't have rubber tipped tongs, so I have been putting prey close on their web, but not directly in front of them.
My Aspen, the Celebrity Spider A. avic, was definitely not tong fed (the guy was very afraid of her), so she just has her prey tossed in.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, I personally don't tong feed, although I do use tongs to drop the roach exactly where I want it. However, I don't really see anything wrong with tong feeding so long as you have rubber dipped tongs - if you don't, then it's a bad idea. Even with the rubber dipped, be prepared for a tarantula to scurry up them eventually! I wouldn't be too worried with most terrestrials, but I'd never risk it with a pokie.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Absolutely. I have had a couple lunge at the tongs when I have been putting the prey in and I would be very concerned about fang damage. I try to avoid them coming in contact with the tongs at all. They can't even see - they aren't going to be able to tell the difference between tongs and food.
Plus, I would suspect that might result in spiders coming up the tongs at you. Nope... no thank you on that front.
I just toss the crics in and let them hunt. It's fun to watch the process. I know. That's macabre.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Not macabre at all! They are well able to hunt, I enjoy watching them as well. I'm just ridiculously attached to that avic of mine and she's picky to feed as a rule. That and she was so close to dead poor baby. When I hand her a dubia she'll feel it all over then very delicately take it. The rest of my Krew hunt like the predators they are :D

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm in the camp that uses the tongs to place the prey where I want it. With most of my slings and some of my larger tarantulas (when I think they are premolt) I use prekilled crickets. Remove the head and place near the spider. Simple.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
I tong feed and will just leave in. (via tongs).

My E.Cyranognathus I have to really because it's at the end of a long tube and I dont want to ruin it's web. And I find it's good for my arboreals in that I know they are hungry and I dont have to go hunting the lost cricket...

Depends a bit on the T. My lagunas has no trouble being tong fed...it's gone in a flash. I'd say most other terrestrials it's a case of placing nearby and nudging closer...(e.g with an OBT will strike as the cricket goes past).

So for me it's just my arboreals I prefer to take from the tongs.

P.S I use tongs because I think it's a bit more hygenic. Always keep my hands and them clean as well.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use tongs because I think it's a bit more hygenic. Always keep my hands and them clean as well.

That's why I use disposable powder-free vinyl gloves. Once you get beyond a small collection, you won't have time to be picking up crickets with tongs. I grab a handful with my gloved hand and toss them in the spider cages.