Torn - I want a giant

DflyBri

Arachnopeon
I'm looking to get an impressive big T.

I've done quite a bit of reasearch and I'm left torn between Lasiodora parahybana and Pamphobeteus antious.

Can anyone offer advice/comparisons on these two to help me lean one way or the other?

Thanks for the help!
~Bri

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have both species. The P. antinous is a fully-grown big girl and the L. parahybana is only about 2.75 inches DLS. The P. antinous spends most of her time hiding either in her burrow or underneath the hide, but the LP stays out in the open most all the time. The only time I've not seen it stay in the open is when a molt is approaching.

DflyBri

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice! That really helps.

May I ask also, I've seen lots of pics/videos of P. antinous online and seen a couple at a show. Some of the pics they have gorgeous velevety glossy black hair, other times they just look a little drab. In your experience is this a juvi/adult thing? Pre-molt/post-molt thing? Or are some specimens just better than others?

RoseT

Arachnosquire
How about a G Pulchripes, they are to my understanding the third biggest T just right under the LP, and by far the most docile.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How about a G Pulchripes, they are to my understanding the third biggest T just right under the LP, and by far the most docile.
There are many specie larger than pulchripes; apophysis, Sp (stirmi),klugi,geniculata...

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice! That really helps.

May I ask also, I've seen lots of pics/videos of P. antinous online and seen a couple at a show. Some of the pics they have gorgeous velevety glossy black hair, other times they just look a little drab. In your experience is this a juvi/adult thing? Pre-molt/post-molt thing? Or are some specimens just better than others?
I bought mine as an adult female, so I can't speak from personal experience about juvenile/sub-adult coloring. My adult female however is jet black except for the legs, which have that velvet-like black coloring. Really a remarkable species. Feeding time is fun too, because those big fangs of hers make for some loud crunching.

DflyBri

Arachnopeon
Acanthoscurria geniculata!
Have one! LOVE it! :)
In fact, I'm going to be getting a few more.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I bought mine as an adult female, so I can't speak from personal experience about juvenile/sub-adult coloring. My adult female however is jet black except for the legs, which have that velvet-like black coloring. Really a remarkable species. Feeding time is fun too, because those big fangs of hers make for some loud crunching.
Hmmm..... so maybe I'll just need to get both? ;)

Last edited:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, I do Not agree w/ the 1st part :cool:

I finally got a Lg. jumbo-sized female, and she's around 7"+ Knees are THICK. But I have Not seen in person, a larger girl, like the Lg. specimens that are rummored :eek:

I'm looking to get an impressive big T.

I've done quite a bit of reasearch and I'm left torn between Lasiodora parahybana and Pamphobeteus antious.
No Contest ~ LP all-the-way!!! I have a 9" female & have had similar-sized examples, and have seen many larger LTC that lasted collectors 16+ years...GL & Enjoy!

- Jason

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Yea +1 to the LP...always in the open and when they are 8 inches plus they are like freakin tanks they are absolutely massive as far as body mass...and fresh from a molt cant beat em...also not as fragile as blondis or stirmis.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not 2 mention...*gulp*

Yea +1 to the LP...always in the open and when they are 8 inches plus they are like freakin tanks they are absolutely massive as far as body mass...and fresh from a molt cant beat em...also not as fragile as blondis or stirmis.
All mine, and all I've met, are handlable.....except one MM once sent to me {D tried to bite me out the deli-cup @ Show in front of crowd :eek:

He was eaten that night by Big girl ;)

Here was my 8" girl, B 4 sack and then trade to KTBG for a B. Klaasi F {we all have our Price}
My larger girl then "Baby-sat" the sack for two more months!

Last edited: