Torch suggestions to light the way

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hola,

I imagine for a lot of hobbyists here (myself included), a flashlight/torch is one piece of kit that not a lot of thought is put into. A lot of people probably never even get a dedicated light and just use their phones lol. When someone does get a standalone flashlight, usually the only questions asked are does it work and how bright is it lol.

My question is, has anyone put a bit more thought into their purchase of a light specifically for viewing tarantulas (ie red light and white light, etc) or has anyone found an extra feature on a flashlight that has proved beneficial for this use case?

Thanks,
--Matt

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I use a Surefire flashlight to view my deep burrowing Asian fossorials in their burrows. The surefire is so bright it lights up the whole enclosure and can see all the burrows and tunnels with it. It's also my home defense flashlight as it's so bright it will literally blind you so I can empty my magazine into a disoriented burglar/badguy. Multi purpose flashlight but works better for viewing than cellphone light, headlamps etc that I own.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Hola,

I imagine for a lot of hobbyists here (myself included), a flashlight/torch is one piece of kit that not a lot of thought is put into. A lot of people probably never even get a dedicated light and just use their phones lol. When someone does get a standalone flashlight, usually the only questions asked are does it work and how bright is it lol.

My question is, has anyone put a bit more thought into their purchase of a light specifically for viewing tarantulas (ie red light and white light, etc) or has anyone found an extra feature on a flashlight that has proved beneficial for this use case?

Thanks,
--Matt
I got a nitecore srt7 GT and used the red light to light them at night. Now I barely use the red since my ts give a F about the light's spectrum, I could blast them with 1000 lumens that they will barely move, or in the worst scenario, they will gravitate towards the light (due to heat) xD

It has a dimmable ring, so you can change the insentisity from 0.1 lumens to 1000, useful if you have a photosensitive T (not my case)

Also bought it because of it's UV lights, quite "useful" to find alacrans (scorpions) while camping.

IMG_20221128_150308.jpg

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I bought a high powered light for nighttime bicycling. It's attached to my helmet. I have found many other uses for the light. My tarantulas think that all humans wear bike helmets with lights.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have two, a general use one which is just an 800 lumen pocket torch, and a rechargable worklight that I use as lighting for when I take photos (has a magnetic base so that I can just stick it to my shelving)

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I just picked up a multifunction pen light from Harbor Freight for $22 to aid me in working on my snowmobile. Kind of expensive but I really like it, it's bright, rechargeable, has three different lights with four different modes, and a magnet on the end. It has a UV light that I use to show off the iridescent scorpion glow. And my favorite part one may not immediately notice, is that if you cycle through the modes using the power button, once you find the one you want, the light sets it so the next time you press the power button it turns right off. Not having to cycle the setting to turn it off is genius, since there's only one button.

I've linked it below.

200 Lumen Rechargeable LED Pen Light with UV Light (harborfreight.com)

Zoopy

Arachnopeon
I've seen a lot of people say that red light doesn't bother Ts, because they can't see red, and I've always wondered about this. Just because they can't see red, does it mean that they don't know that a light is shining on them?

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I don't know very much about vision or colorblindness. o_O

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hola,

Thanks,
--Matt
Yes

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I like using a headlamp, I had a black diamond one I liked until my dog chewed it up smh

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Being the average human that assumes species nothing like myself share similar reactions and "feelings"....., bright light in their 8 eyes doesn't stress them? Someone shining bright lights in my eyes would send me into a threat pose.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I got a goforwild headlamp for like $15. It is usb rechargeable, bright as hell for collecting wolf spiders, has a dimmer white light, and also red for checking on spiders more politely. It also has a motion feature you can leave the red on and wave your hand in front of your face to toggle the bright white.
Cons: battery doesn't last long enough for me, gotta remember to keep plugging in.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hola,

Thanks,
--Matt
I have always understood that red light, used for viewing , harms inverts longterm.

I have always used Blue Moonlight bulbs.

Inverts are quite happy under these lights as it replicates natural moonlight.
ExoTerra make a good quality light, I've had ones last for years, make sure you purchase the correct blue glass ones, Not the cheaper ones that have painted glass.
The ones mentioned come on a full range of wattage, from 15 watt to 150 watts, so they can be used connected to a timer for night time viewing and adding warmth at night.
I've used them since they were first marketed, never had any problems, and because they replicate moonlight the creatures will stay out in the open until they decide to retreat or the timer kicks off morning time.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I have always understood that red light, used for viewing , harms inverts longterm.

I have always used Blue Moonlight bulbs.

Inverts are quite happy under these lights as it replicates natural moonlight.
ExoTerra make a good quality light, I've had ones last for years, make sure you purchase the correct blue glass ones, Not the cheaper ones that have painted glass.
The ones mentioned come on a full range of wattage, from 15 watt to 150 watts, so they can be used connected to a timer for night time viewing and adding warmth at night.
I've used them since they were first marketed, never had any problems, and because they replicate moonlight the creatures will stay out in the open until they decide to retreat or the timer kicks off morning time.
Red light in no way shape or form would ever harm any invertebrate. Tarantula eyes can not detect wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum consisting of visible red light, but their sensitivity increases toward the shorter- and thus more energetic- green, blue, and ultraviolet wavelengths. Using bright blue lights is more likely to cause discomfort to a tarantula than red light. Not sure where the idea that simulating moonlight is a good thing, but wild tarantulas will not emerge from their burrows on nights with full moons when the moonlight is at its brightest. All considered, tarantulas would be most comfortable in the pitch black darkness of a new moon.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I got a goforwild headlamp for like $15. It is usb rechargeable, bright as hell for collecting wolf spiders, has a dimmer white light, and also red for checking on spiders more politely. It also has a motion feature you can leave the red on and wave your hand in front of your face to toggle the bright white.
Cons: battery doesn't last long enough for me, gotta remember to keep plugging in.
Do you know what model you have specifically? Can the battery be charged on an external charger or is it a permanently internal battery?

I have two, a general use one which is just an 800 lumen pocket torch, and a rechargable worklight that I use as lighting for when I take photos (has a magnetic base so that I can just stick it to my shelving)
I think I'm going to follow a similar route as I've been unable to find a singular flashlight that checks all the boxes so to say.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Do you know what model you have specifically? Can the battery be charged on an external charger or is it a permanently internal battery?

No, the battery is internal. They probably are telling the truth about 2.5 hrs on bright, but it's real easy to leave a headlamp on I've found. It charges pretty quick though.
EDIT: I guess the battery does come out, but it has a clip, you'd have to rig a charger up, it's 3.7v HL103040 ... maybe there's a charger for it out there...

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Found one that seems to check all the boxes for me. It's not too large, has a high and low focusing spotlight, a high and low COB floodlight in both normal light and red light, magnetic base, can use externally charged 18650 batteries, and seems to have an insert to use AAA as well.

Listed on Amazon as "Magnetic Rechargeable Flashlight 10000 High Lumens, XHP50.2 Super Bright LED Tactical Flashlight with COB Work Light, USB C Fast Charging, Waterproof, Zoomable, 7 Modes Best LED Flashlight for Camping".

Mountaindani

Arachnopeon
I've seen a lot of people say that red light doesn't bother Ts, because they can't see red, and I've always wondered about this. Just because they can't see red, does it mean that they don't know that a light is shining on them?

I heard the same about green light. I have googled it and come up with so many different ideas. I only have a few T's and just like peeking to see what they are up to at night. And not make them miserable doing it.
I will be checking the lights that were mentioned here for sure! My goal is to peek on them not freak them out

Sorry if it's a stupid question. I don't know very much about vision or colorblindness. o_O
I heard the same about green light. I have googled it and come up with so many different ideas. I only have a few T's and just like peeking to see what they are up to at night. And not make them miserable doing it.
I will be checking the lights that were mentioned here for sure! My goal is to peek on them not freak them out

I did not mean to double post. I was trying to fix my last one. I won't try editing or deleting or anything more to what I've added to this thread. Again I'm sorry for the mess

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Found one that seems to check all the boxes for me. It's not too large, has a high and low focusing spotlight, a high and low COB floodlight in both normal light and red light, magnetic base, can use externally charged 18650 batteries, and seems to have an insert to use AAA as well.

Listed on Amazon as "Magnetic Rechargeable Flashlight 10000 High Lumens, XHP50.2 Super Bright LED Tactical Flashlight with COB Work Light, USB C Fast Charging, Waterproof, Zoomable, 7 Modes Best LED Flashlight for Camping".
Hi Matt

From personal experience, I have searched the one you mentioned and those chinese flashlights are an absolute crap, they tend to fail a lot. Two friend of mine got ones and both failed or melted....

For that price, which it's a rip off for such product, you can get a nitecore mt10c which it's a really good compact flashlight.

The only downside that you need to charge the batery separatedly. There are some good usb rechargable 18350 batteries too.

The one you mentioned it's around 15 bucks on aliexpress...

This is a video review about the MT10C

Don't expect a huge flood, but it's enough to see them properly at night

And a video of mine blasting the T 🤣🤣🤣🤣
View attachment VID_20221208_001102.mp4

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hi Matt

From personal experience, I have searched the one you mentioned and those chinese flashlights are an absolute crap, they tend to fail a lot. Two friend of mine got ones and both failed or melted....

For that price, which it's a rip off for such product, you can get a nitecore mt10c which it's a really good compact flashlight.

The only downside that you need to charge the batery separatedly. There are some good usb rechargable 18350 batteries too.

The one you mentioned it's around 15 bucks on aliexpress...
That's about inline with what I paid for a 2-pack on Amazon and yes, a Nitecore would more than likely be a better option if I wanted to get another straight flashlight. The boxes these check are the "gimmicks" per say to see if any of these other features are useful enough and are worth trying to find in a higher quality version ;) .

Dorifto

He who moists xD
That's about inline with what I paid for a 2-pack on Amazon and yes, a Nitecore would more than likely be a better option if I wanted to get another straight flashlight. The boxes these check are the "gimmicks" per say to see if any of these other features are useful enough and are worth trying to find in a higher quality version ;) .
Be carefull while charging and keep an eye on the temperature, as those usually come with a non protected batteries and their charging system it's quite rudimental. You don't want a 18650 cell catching fire... From experience too Hahahahaha

Hope that those work better than the ones we had xD, but, if it catches a fire, place it in a pressure cooker, or it will burn everything.