topsoil question...

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
I was thinking of making a switch to topsoil and was looking at this brand in particular:
<edit>

It seems to tick the right boxes but down at the end of the link in the questions and answers it says it "has a high hummus content and rich in organic matter" whatever that means I don't really no. any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Just go, and ask for top soil with no fertilizer in it. It usually costs around $1 per 20lbs in US.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Humus is the name for the uppermost part of soil that is just largely composed of purely decomposed organic matter like leaf litter, often things like living or decomposed mycelium as well as plant material and most times things like animal droppings. It’s the super rich organic material in the soil, it is not a soil layer that is mainly made out of percentages of sand, silt, or clay. But is usually a highly living portion of the soil and may contain animal life, like earthworms, springtails, and microbes. (Not necessarily a bad things)

But what that bag doesn’t say is what is is exacgg to my made of. Sometimes they do add things. I can’t say though.

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Just go, and ask for top soil with no fertilizer in it. It usually costs around $1 per 20lbs in US.
Well this says there are no fertilzers in this brand, but it has a high hummus content and rich in organic matter, so I was just a bit wary of that. I have never used topsoil before.

Humus is the name for the uppermost part of soil that is just largely composed of purely decomposed organic matter like leaf litter, often things like living or decomposed mycelium as well as plant material and most times things like animal droppings. It’s the super rich organic material in the soil, it is not a soil layer that is mainly made out of percentages of sand, silt, or clay. But is usually a highly living portion of the soil and may contain animal life, like earthworms, springtails, and microbes. (Not necessarily a bad things)

But what that bag doesn’t say is what is is exacgg to my made of. Sometimes they do add things. I can’t say though.
Thats what I was worried about, it could be anything in it, probably not worth the risk.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thats what I was worried about, it could be anything in it, probably not worth the risk.
The humus thing is not a worry, but you have to make 100% sure it doesn’t have any additives. You can always try 100% peat moss, comes in compressed bales and holds water well and is very inexpensive

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Peat moss!
$20 will get you a lifetime supply and you can add vermiculite or whatever you wish to fit the application.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You might want to edit your post to say which brand of topsoil (I'm assuming you originally posted a store link or image from the net which is why it was removed by the mods).

I've used Westland multi-purpose topsoil for years mixed with sedge peat and fine vermiculite, apart the odd mushroom popping up (and I'd hardly call that an issue) I've never had any problems with it.

Another brand that I know people have used without issue is Wickes graded multi-purpose topsoil 25L.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
No brand. Directly from under a big old beech tree somewhat deep in a nearby forest:

20210225_101420.jpg
This needs to dry completely, before it goes into the terrarium upgrade for my Chromatopelma. If you put this stuff into a more moist enclosure, it's ready-made bioactive, by Nature. Cost: one healthy walk through fresh air ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Isn’t that a food people eat :troll:

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I was thinking of making a switch to topsoil and was looking at this brand in particular:
<edit>

It seems to tick the right boxes but down at the end of the link in the questions and answers it says it "has a high hummus content and rich in organic matter" whatever that means I don't really no. any thoughts?
I use wickes "graded" top soil. Sometimes on offer but only £3 a bag I think and readily available.