Topsoil problem?

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name jimmy is and I'm going to be getting a Honduran curly hair tarantula very soon. The original substrate I was going to use was eco earth but after doing a little research I came across topsoil. I really like the idea of this stuff straight and I ended up getting a 40-pound bag of it. I really like the way the substrate is and it's so cheap that it's hard to believe. after I bought the bag and I dump it out into the bin that I bought with it. Now after it was in the bin I went to go touch it and it felt almost moist. Now I know the Honduran curly hair tarantula is a dry species so I was wondering what I could do to dry out the topsoil. It's not terribly wet or anything and they would have a screen top so I don't know if I need to even try it out. I put some of the top soil in a bin and left it there for about 20 minutes and when I came back you could see the condensation of the humidity. Any ideas of what I could do is greatly appreciated. Thank you

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is this a serious question, you need help on how to dry out dirt? Andy why would you purchase 40 lbs of it for one tarantula?

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
oven maybe? drying out dirt doesnt take too much imagination..
The reason i ask is because drying out eco earth is ANNOYING. I have been trying everything it is still too wet. idk if topsoil is the same so i decided to ask instead of trying the same methods and failing.

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
Is this a serious question, you need help on how to dry out dirt? Andy why would you purchase 40 lbs of it for one tarantula?
The reason for the bag is because 1 I can store it and 2 it was only 1.50. Worst comes to worst I can just use it for one of my reptiles

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is the "dirt" organic, pesticide and fertilizer free? If you can't 'be sure I wouldn't use it.

Eco Earth will dry out if spread flat in a short amount of time. Not sure what the issue is.

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
is the "dirt" organic, pesticide and fertilizer free? If you can't 'be sure I wouldn't use it.

Eco Earth will dry out if spread flat in a short amount of time. Not sure what the issue is.
Yes, I made sure that there were no pesticides and fertilizers. I read every label, looked up the company and the product and found many other tarantula owners that use the same one. Now for the eco earth, I have not been able to lay it out completely flat for 1 there is a lot of it and 2 family not letting me use anything to do so. I am very new to tarantulas and the closest experience I have is with reptiles. I am still setting up the tank and am still going to do MUCH more research as I do. I do at least 4 weeks of just plain research before I buy any animal. I know that reptiles have very specific humidity requirements and I know that tarantulas do as well. I know that the Honduran curly haired tarantulas are more of a dry species and I am trying to not make it to humid. Now I would like any input on anything because like I said, I am very new.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I know that reptiles have very specific humidity requirements and I know that tarantulas do as well.
Not really. Very few t's have very specific humidity requirements, nor do they have specific temp requirements.

You say you keep reptiles? Do you have a heat lamp? I've used heat lamps to dry substrate when I needed it quickly.

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
Not really. Very few t's have very specific humidity requirements, nor do they have specific temp requirements.

You say you keep reptiles? Do you have a heat lamp? I've used heat lamps to dry substrate when I needed it quickly.
Yes, I actually divided up the eco earth into thin bins and put lamps over all of them. The problem was it would only dry the top layer. I would need to mix it and dry that layer. And with reptiles is what I meant was reptiles are either dry-moderate-or tropical. If put a tropical reptile in a dry climate for too long there are problems. I owned a chameleon and the hygrometer was broken and he ended up dying of a respiratory infection. And temps I try to keep as accurate as possible. and i have not had problems yet. Now with the Brachypelma albopilosum I learned need room temperature with (if needed) an heating system being a space heater.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yes, I actually divided up the eco earth into thin bins and put lamps over all of them. The problem was it would only dry the top layer. I would need to mix it and dry that layer. And with reptiles is what I meant was reptiles are either dry-moderate-or tropical. If put a tropical reptile in a dry climate for too long there are problems. I owned a chameleon and the hygrometer was broken and he ended up dying of a respiratory infection. And temps I try to keep as accurate as possible. and i have not had problems yet. Now with the Brachypelma albopilosum I learned need room temperature with (if needed) an heating system being a space heater.
With the albo, just dry the top layer as much as you can and you'll be fine. The sub underneath will dry with time. Don't pay attention to specific humidity percentages you see in care sheets for tarantulas. Also, most tarantulas (including your albo) can be kept in temps from around 65-90. They are extremely adaptable. In the winter, all of mine are kept at 67-73ish, and in the summer they are kept around 70-88ish. Just know that the colder they are kept, the slower their metabolisms will be, the slower they will grow.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
The reason i ask is because drying out eco earth is ANNOYING. I have been trying everything it is still too wet. idk if topsoil is the same so i decided to ask instead of trying the same methods and failing.
Buy a dry bag of ecoearth

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
and
With the albo, just dry the top layer as much as you can and you'll be fine. The sub underneath will dry with time. Don't pay attention to specific humidity percentages you see in care sheets for tarantulas. Also, most tarantulas (including your albo) can be kept in temps from around 65-90. They are extremely adaptable. In the winter, all of mine are kept at 67-73ish, and in the summer they are kept around 70-88ish. Just know that the colder they are kept, the slower their metabolisms will be, the slower they will grow.
Thank you very much. Like i said previously I am VERY new to the subject and I am willing to learn. Now I am used to reading tons of care sheets and youtube being a very big help. I found two channels that have helped a lot being Tom Moran and EulersK both helping a lot. If you have anything about curly hairs that may help then any is appreciated

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I was going to but it is kind of expensive for how much you get compared to the bricks. And i already had the bricks so that was another thing
It's like ten dollars a bag. I bought my son a t. woman at the store told me I could save money buying the brick. when I got home I read the instructions and went back to the store to return it for a dry bag. it's an awful lot of work to save $7

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
and
Thank you very much. Like i said previously I am VERY new to the subject and I am willing to learn. Now I am used to reading tons of care sheets and youtube being a very big help. I found two channels that have helped a lot being Tom Moran and EulersK both helping a lot. If you have anything about curly hairs that may help then any is appreciated
Care sheets for t's, most of the time, are completely wrong. Most are just copied and pasted with a certain few things changed. Both of those YouTubers are on Arachnoboards. Tom Moran, I believe going by @Philth and EulersK going by @EulersK . Don't lean too much on YouTube though, there are many people who don't know what they are doing on YouTube.

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
It's like ten dollars a bag. I bought my son a t. woman at the store told me I could save money buying the brick. when I got home I read the instructions and went back to the store to return it for a dry bag. it's an awful lot of work to save $7
I got the brick pack which is like $13 for 3 of them. And like I said I already had the brick so it would save money :/

shadowjimmy107

Arachnopeon
Care sheets for t's, most of the time, are completely wrong. Most are just copied and pasted with a certain few things changed. Both of those YouTubers are on Arachnoboards. Tom Moran, I believe going by @Philth and EulersK going by @EulersK . Don't lean too much on YouTube though, there are many people who don't know what they are doing on YouTube.
I know and i realized that with reptiles as well. That's why I join forums like this one.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
when I got home I read the instructions and went back to the store to return it for a dry bag. it's an awful lot of work to save $7
1 bucket, half gallon of water, throw the brick in. wait 20 min, stir, wait another 10 and its done. practically zero work.

cold blood

Staff member
Cost is a good reason for buying topsoil, regardless of the size bag or number of ts one has. Its not like its gonna 1) go bad, or 2) not going to have other uses...heck use it to fill a hole by the driveway...either way its more natural AND cost effective....comparitively, those bricks you have to re constitute are crap, i wouldt use that even if it were cheaper than topsoil....but its not, its still more than topsoil.

Seriously though, ive never once, for any species (and never will) dry out topsoil prior to use. Its moist when out if the bag, not wet, and being that its soil and not an absorbant substance like cocofiber or eco earth, it dries out pretty quickly.

Just put the t in, your over-complicating the keeping of spiders.

Reptiles and ts really have no comparison with regards to care. As bobbarley said, ts do NOT require any number specific humidity. Ive got hundreds and have been keeping ts for 16 years and ive never once measured or concerned myself with humidity numbers.

Ts requiring moisture simply mean you need to sprinkle or pour water onto the sub as it dries out. If you bought a hygrometer, return it or toss it in the trash, its useless and pointless and can only lead you down a wrong path to your ts detriment.