TOPIC: Scorpion Enclosures

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the comments brigebane. =)

Hey ScorpDude I did get one of those ceramic heat things so now the tank has not gone below 75...usually sits around 85-88F now.

Humidity still could be higher....50-75% currently. Probably need to change out the current top with a closed top to keep the moisture in better.

*UPDATE*
I bought one of the glass tops that normally go on fish tanks....has a rubber hinge area with a rubber back plane for cords. Works great for keeping the humidity up. Wife freaked through because i put a couple crickets in the tank and there was a small opening up near the front of the tank. I put some tape over the opening temporarly until I find a better seal option.

Last edited:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
joe8421 said:
my tank for a couple A.australis
80*35*45
Temp: 28°c /day 22°C/night
H: -45%
Sbstrat: 5cm
Wow no top on your australis tank!? that's scary man, I wouldn't be getting any false sense of security with those.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok, i thought i already posted a pic on this thread already but .. whatever.this is for my spadix..medium kk with desert blend(walnut shell) black calci sand and some peat moss.a small sanblasted grapewood branch(that she loves to climb as well as burrow under) i have a small kk light that produces low light as well as low heat,and a cool background i found in an old calender(actually picture in the calender was taken in arizona,authentic huh?)i offer water in a small cap 3 times a week.
theres her butt sticking out lol

joe8421

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
brigebane said:
Wow no top on your australis tank!? that's scary man, I wouldn't be getting any false sense of security with those.
haha ,i thought as u before ,but they 're here for more than 1 year ,nothing here ,now,i used to this :) ,in fact ,once there were 2 couples in this tank ,all goes well ,i've sold out 1 couple just one month

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Although their chance of escape is extremely low, I think a lid should be default with such a dangerous species :embarrassed:.

This is the kind of species I'd keep under lock and key, incase somebody put their hand in the enclosure...

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Although their chance of escape is extremely low, I think a lid should be default with such a dangerous species :embarrassed:.

This is the kind of species I'd keep under lock and key, incase somebody put their hand in the enclosure...
I have about 8 A.A and even though there under tight locked lids i still dont think they could ever get up glass cages or even plastic cages cages, all of my ANdroctonus genus that i have never ever want to climb at all even rocks that are stacked they wont climb, there like afraid of hights....lol but there really not climbers in the first place i think he should be fine.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think, in my opinion, that even entertaining the idea of keeping such a dangerous species of scorpion in an enclosure without a lid is absurd. Not just because of escape potential, but also because of things going into the tank. Whether it be a child's hand or another member of the family, or even a pet knocking the enclosure over e.t.c.

It's reckless not to have a secure lid for this genus.

Last edited:

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yuanti said:
Thanks for the comments brigebane. =)

Hey ScorpDude I did get one of those ceramic heat things so now the tank has not gone below 75...usually sits around 85-88F now.

Humidity still could be higher....50-75% currently. Probably need to change out the current top with a closed top to keep the moisture in better.
Good going on getting the ceramic, they are handy pieces of kit. They don't seem to be used by scorp keepers as much as they maybe should. As to the humidity, try moving the water bowl to under where the heater is, the water should evaporate faster there. also, spray every day or so.

reacka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've been seeing different sand setups and was wondering where did you get the various colors from. i found this art sand that's colored for a dollar a pound. would that be dangerous for any scorps?

ReptileMan27

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen them to but wouldnt reccomend them. The sand I use is just reptile sand but calci sand works to and that comes on different colors and some even glow in the dark.

baddream311

Arachnopeon
I have a 10 gallon tank with a emporor. It has peet moss stuff that goes from 1.5 in. up to a 3.5 in.. I have used half of one of those holwed out plastick logs (that you normaly put in a fish tank) and put that in the deeper part of the moss. I then covered the plastic "log" with the moss so it looks like a tunnle (im hoping that he will make her own tunnle or make a second tunnle from the first tunnle that I made). Then I have a dome that looks like a big rock for her and a dryed out stick. and of course medeum sized lid for water. Im hoping to get one of those fog/mister things that rases the humidity (i think those are so cool lookin).
Picture071.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Last edited: