Top Soil

Joodafoo

Arachnopeon
Im preparing a new 20 gal aquarium to house my emperors for the summer and i just bought a bag of top soil from home depot. Should I microwave the soil before i use it or does it come clean from the bag? Also i would like to mix it with some peat, but im not sure on where to get any. One of my females just gave birth and id like to build a nice comfy home for em.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
does it have the white styrofoam in it? i would put it in the over for about an hour

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dont know. I always use the bricks of eco-earth and such...i guess if you wanted to be safe you could, but i honestly wouldnt know....but i think top soil would be fine without the styrofoam. make sure you pack it so they can be stable burrows

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Walmart sells bags of peat and some ag centers
top soil is just that , taken straight from the top of the ground and put in a bag , could have what ever in it

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just dump it in your tank. I don't think your emp walks around in clean substrate before it was caught and exported. Why microwave the soil? Plus, that's where your family heats up their food.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just dump it in your tank. I don't think your emp walks around in clean substrate before it was caught and exported. Why microwave the soil? Plus, that's where your family heats up their food.

I wonder why I cant stop laughing on that last sentence...:D

I think you'll still get those mites when you start tossing some crix on your tank....