Top Soil as Peat

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As most of you may have noticed, this is a brother to the "Cat Litter as Peat" thread. For anybody just reading, we have agreed that cat litter is a BAD IDEA! :wall::embarrassed: ...for numerous reasons *heh heh*
anyways, my dad called me and said that he was busy, and wouldn't be able to get some peat. he also told me that we had some unused top soil i the garage. I thought it would be good, because it keeps in moisteure, and it is natural, and plants love it, and whatever. I read the bag, and it didn't say anything at all about pesticide, so i put it in. That was a good idea, right, guys? i need some input, because i never knew spiders could die from such minor mistakes until i used cat litter, and used a sponge for water (i already fixed that), and, oh my gosh. anyways, if it's a bad idea, please tell me asap. thanks, people of arachnoboard! :cool:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Provided that there is nothing added to the soil it was a good idea. Plain organic soil works well for a substrate.

As to whether it was a bad idea or not what brand was it and what did the bag say?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did that topsoil get dug up from the ground and put in the garage? If so, I don't think this is a good idea either because of the risk of pesticides and other plant growth materials that can kill a T. Organic soil out of a purchased bag is fine. You don't know where that dirt has been.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was potting soil out of a bag. the brand was "Garden Plus: All-Purpose Garden Soil".

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Until you can absolutely verify that the garden soil has no additives I would avoid using it. With a name like "Garden Plus" I get the impression that there are additives in the soil. Without knowing exactly what has been added you can't guarantee that it will be safe for your tarantula.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Until you can absolutely verify that the garden soil has no additives I would avoid using it. With a name like "Garden Plus" I get the impression that there are additives in the soil. Without knowing exactly what has been added you can't guarantee that it will be safe for your tarantula.
the bag says:

"Pine bark, Hardwood Bark, Forest Products, Sand, and Fly Ash."
PS: This twice i had to dig the bag out of the nasty garbage can... ew...

:)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the bag says:

"Pine bark, Hardwood Bark, Forest Products, Sand, and Fly Ash."
PS: This twice i had to dig the bag out of the nasty garbage can... ew...

:)
The only item I would be concerned with in the above list is the pine bark. Pine is known to contain natural insecticides. Although "forest products" could be lots of things I suspect they would be harmless in this case.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it concern enough to get rid of, or could i risk it? I love my T, but changing his cage is really getting annoying! :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it concern enough to get rid of, or could i risk it? I love my T, but changing his cage is really getting annoying! :)
At a bare minimum I would remove any and all woods chips or pieces of bark that I could see. If it were me I would change the enclosure just to be on the safe side. As far as this being annoying, there is a lesson to be learned here. Research first and get the right enclosure before setting it up. I know that soil was recommended to you prior to you making this switch but everyone who recommended it was clear that it should contain no additives. In the future do your research first and then set things up. That way you will only have to do it once.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, i guess it is lesson learned. i will take out the wood chips, and also, when i DO get peat, what kind should i buy? (i'm doin' resarch now... ;))

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Schultz's Peat is only peat.

Miracle Grow items almost always have stuff added.

I've used Schultz's Cactus soil as well with pleasent results.

Good Luck.

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
I have used Miracle grow peat prior to my knowing that it contained additives.
Guess I didn't read the label as close as I should have. Now I use only Schulz, but the Miracle grow did not seem to affect my T's in any way.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you smell the pine? If you can't smell any pine aroma I wouldn't worry about it.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've oly seen, like, two wood chips i there, ad the only thig it smells like, in there, is dirt. just plain dirt. So, no. no pine aromas. ;)

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've oly seen, like, two wood chips i there, ad the only thig it smells like, in there, is dirt. just plain dirt. So, no. no pine aromas. ;)
I'd guess that the pine is decayed enough that there's no danger from the aromatic oils then.

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
why dont you buy some eco earth coconut fibre substrate you can get it off the internet from like exo terra and i think t-rex do there own version its cheap and works very well just dont use the whole block as it realy expands and you end up with loads too much substrate:)