Top opening tub for an avic?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm going to.be getting an avic and know about their cross ventilation needs. I have a large clear tub that I'm sure would make a great enclosure but it's top opening.

I basically already know the answer but if I provide enough anchor points is there any chance the avic might leave the lid alone?

My other option is an exo terra nano but I'm not sure there'd be enough cross ventilation with just the door.

Tah.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I think it might leave it alone if you don't put the anchor points too near the lid. My diversipes leaves it alone, but my versi webbs the lid everytime. But versi has the anchor points a centimeter below the lid.. So.. That would be my advice :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think it might leave it alone if you don't put the anchor points too near the lid. My diversipes leaves it alone, but my versi webbs the lid everytime. But versi has the anchor points a centimeter below the lid.. So.. That would be my advice :)
I'll have a play tomorrow morning and post up a pic of what I've made. See what you all think.

basin79

ArachnoGod
All my avics are in top opening tubs or enclosures...never been a problem.
Cheers. That's reassuring to read.

I have ran into another problem though. I thought the tub was taller than it is. Just had a measure and it's only 8 3/4" tall. Thought it was more.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive used exo teras for spiders for years, no issue. theres plenty of vent when you factor in the screen lid.

basin79

ArachnoGod
ive used exo teras for spiders for years, no issue. theres plenty of vent when you factor in the screen lid.
Yes. I was just unsure with regards of there not being a lot of cross ventilation. That was the worry. I use them for my other T's. They're fantastic.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes. I was just unsure with regards of there not being a lot of cross ventilation. That was the worry. I use them for my other T's. They're fantastic.
IME, it doesnt really mater where the vent is. as long as theres enough.

basin79

ArachnoGod
IME, it doesnt really mater where the vent is. as long as theres enough.
Cheers for that. I'll still see what I can do with the tub.

Would you say 8 3/4" is tall enough? Factor in a couple of inches if sub and it doesn't seem that great. Although it is round and there's quote a lot of vertical surface.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Cheers for that. I'll still see what I can do with the tub.

Would you say 8 3/4" is tall enough? Factor in a couple of inches if sub and it doesn't seem that great. Although it is round and there's quote a lot of vertical surface.
well, how big is the spider?
(im going to get feeders right now)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I use these from bugz.co.uk(notice you are also in the UK)
I enlarged the holes from 3mm to 6mm with a drill on mine

http://www.bugzuk.com/non-livestock/cages/img/bugzuk2812_acrylic_29x15x15.jpg

they also do larger and smaller ones.
Cheers for that. I buy off Martin but have never looked at the enclosures before. I usually skip past them. The larger 20x20x35 looks good.

I would prefer an exo due to them being glass though. Something to definitely think about. Tah.

basin79

ArachnoGod
it might be a little cramped IMO
I'll order a nano exo terra then. I don't want to get her all set up and then have to move her. I ordered extra perspex for the mesh lid so can sort that out.

Thanks for the replies.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I use Exo-terra for some of my Ts even Avics.. I don't understand where this lack of cross ventilation myth came from but it's absolute crap.. If you look at the enclosure not only is there built in cross ventilation but there is also a a gap all around the door that's about half the thickness of a dime.. It allows for good air exchange throughout the entire depth of the enclosure.

If it wasn't for the cost I would use Exo-terra's for all of my adult arboreals..

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have top opening for all of my spiders, the Avics just learn to not web up there. Also makes it easy to feed and water them, clean up is a little challenging but still doable.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have my A. avic. in an Exo-Terra nano tall and he's fine in it. Oddly enough, the ornery little cuss ignored most of the attachment points I provided for him and webbed the door shut instead. Fortunately, the cage also opens from the top. :rolleyes: