top opening or side opening enclosure

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
looking at tarantulacages.com for my arboreal T, and was wondering which would be a better choice, top opening or side opening

i currently have a p irminia and as soon as i can find one and i get my bonus check from work, i plan to get a p metallica. so for those 2 species which would be better?

i know someone posted in one of my other thread the p metallica made its home at the top of its enclosure, so post away and let me know what i should do

thanks!!:razz:

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like both. Whichever you like best. Though a front one would be better if the t decides to make its home at the top.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Side.
lol
Easier to get bolus.
However, spidies still like to web the door even if you dont want them too...they will find a way to make you feel bad for destroying their web..
I dont feel bad though, they can make more... lol

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
Is say side, because then you can try to encourage them to start their web at the far side of the cage (away from the door) with a starter tube and you won't have to destroy their entire hiding spot every time you open the enclosure (granted they may still web around the door a bit, but it won't be their whole lair that gets torn up this way).

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I like side opening. Most of my arboreals are Avics though.If one comes out to visit it's much easier to get a spider that loves to go up into a side opening enclosure than trying to get it to go down in a top opening one.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I have my A. avicularia in one that has both top and side openings.

I know this doesn't help settle the debate but rather it offers a third option.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my A. avicularia in one that has both top and side openings.

I know this doesn't help settle the debate but rather it offers a third option.
Both openings, you say? Got any pics so we can see how it was made?

felmor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
got two openings for my calceatum too.. gonna post a pic for you later,

after few minutes.. (lol)

here are the pics.

side:

top:

good luck!

Last edited:

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like side opening. Most of my arboreals are Avics though.If one comes out to visit it's much easier to get a spider that loves to go up into a side opening enclosure than trying to get it to go down in a top opening one.

Very good point, probably the biggest reason to go with side imo.

Their natural instinct is to go up, so a top enclosure which would require them to go down would be the least desirable imo.