Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

top opening or side opening enclosure

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by stewstew8282, Jun 29, 2011.

1. stewstew8282

stewstew8282 Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    looking at tarantulacages.com for my arboreal T, and was wondering which would be a better choice, top opening or side opening

i currently have a p irminia and as soon as i can find one and i get my bonus check from work, i plan to get a p metallica. so for those 2 species which would be better?

i know someone posted in one of my other thread the p metallica made its home at the top of its enclosure, so post away and let me know what i should do

thanks!!:razz:

2. Thompson08

Thompson08 Arachnoprince

I like both. Whichever you like best. Though a front one would be better if the t decides to make its home at the top.

3. Crysta

Crysta Arachnoprince Old Timer

Side.
    lol
    Easier to get bolus.
    However, spidies still like to web the door even if you dont want them too...they will find a way to make you feel bad for destroying their web..
    I dont feel bad though, they can make more... lol

4. Is say side, because then you can try to encourage them to start their web at the far side of the cage (away from the door) with a starter tube and you won't have to destroy their entire hiding spot every time you open the enclosure (granted they may still web around the door a bit, but it won't be their whole lair that gets torn up this way).

5. stewstew8282

stewstew8282 Arachnoknight

seems like the general consensus is a side opener, thanx for the input guys

6. I like side opening. Most of my arboreals are Avics though.If one comes out to visit it's much easier to get a spider that loves to go up into a side opening enclosure than trying to get it to go down in a top opening one.

7. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

I have my A. avicularia in one that has both top and side openings.

I know this doesn't help settle the debate but rather it offers a third option.

8. PrimalTaunt

PrimalTaunt Arachnobaron

Both openings, you say? Got any pics so we can see how it was made?

9. felmor

felmor Arachnosquire

got two openings for my calceatum too.. gonna post a pic for you later,

after few minutes.. (lol)

here are the pics.

side:
    [​IMG]

top:
    [​IMG]

good luck!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. LirvA

LirvA Arachnosquire

Very good point, probably the biggest reason to go with side imo.

Their natural instinct is to go up, so a top enclosure which would require them to go down would be the least desirable imo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.