Top 5 Tarantulas for Pets/Education

gataloco

Arachnopeon
I am very interested to know what you think are the top 5 tarantulas for pets/education? I do a lot of work with schools and I am always looking for new species.

Thanks, Fred

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would imagine that it is best to have representatives from each group. By group, I mean based on their aggressiveness level, their colors, and their sizes. This is assuming the people you're educating aren't going to major in arachnidology.

I would pick a rosea, usambara, one of the pokies, one of the horned, and a full grown T. blondi.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you're looking to work with young, inexperienced students then here are a few that are typically handleable, from what i've seen:

1. Chilean Rosehair (my first T, so docile anyone can handle her)
2. Costa Rican Zebra (if this is the pet store 'stripeknee' then these are supposed to be really nice... but i may have the wrong name for em)
3. Guayan Pinktoe (a little jumpy but very sweet)
4. Honduran Curlyhair (a total sweetie! i've got 15 of these guys)
5. Pink Zebra Beauty (i have no experience, but this one seems really docile)

anyone wanna confirm this list?

kellygirl

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl

5. Pink Zebra Beauty (i have no experience, but this one seems really docile)

anyone wanna confirm this?

kellygirl
Kelly,
A definite yes to the Pink Zebra Beauty. Very sweet. (hey Joy, still have that pic? Of your PZB upside down on your hand?)

I would suggest also:
1. G. aureostriatum Big, sweet, and pretty.
2. G. pulchra
3. A. chalcodes

Peace,
Gillian

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by gataloco
I am very interested to know what you think are the top 5 tarantulas for pets/education? I do a lot of work with schools and I am always looking for new species.

Thanks, Fred
1) I like E. campestratus because I can do anything with them, including turn them upside down to show their feet, booklungs, etc.

2) I like to have an Avic to contrast with the campestratus, showing the structural differences in arboreal vs. terrestrial body types. A. versicolor is my favorite because they're beautifully colored as well as docile.

3) I like P. regalis because I can use it to show how they camouflage with their environment, also I can show them the warning flashes on the backs of the front legs and describe how this is used as a defense.

4) I like to bring along an African burrower to show the enlarged back legs, and if possible a juvenile burrower in its vivarium. I've used C. crawshayi and E. longiceps for this.

5) I like to bring C. cyaneopubescens because their colors are so beautiful, with a strong flashlight to show them off. (NB: a Surefire combatlight works very well for this application as well as its intended one!)

Additionally, I like to bring along a NW tarantula who's got a bald patch to explain about urtication as a defense. Also a male and female of the same species to show differences between male and female tarantulas. Also somebody who'll eat in front of an audience--usually an immature of some sort, with a back-up or two in case they won't perform.

Joy

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Kelly,
A definite yes to the Pink Zebra Beauty. Very sweet. (hey Joy, still have that pic? Of your PZB upside down on your hand?)

i thought that was holley? :?

kellygirl

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have posted a pic before of Shelby holding our PZB upsidedown, but I think I've seen a pic of Joy doing this as well ;)
the ones I bring most often to Shelby's school are:

E campestratus
G rosea
G pulchra
A versicolor
C cyaneopubescens

Keep in mind, I'm working with 1st and 2nd graders, my ideal candidate is colorful, and handleable!
With higher grades, Joy's list is awesome.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought we were supposed to pick tarantulas for the purpose of education, not propaganda.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think Kelly has put together a good list.

Big Dragonfly

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Kelly,

Peace,
Gillian
Here it is!

Joy

Last edited:

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would agree with most of the lists that have been posted. My list would look like this:

1) Something handleable. I've used G.rosea in the past, but E. campestratus would probably work as well.

2) Size matters. I've found that no T attracts more attention than a decent sized T. blondi. If you show most people an 8" T. blondi (not large by blondi standards) they react as though they've seen Godzilla.

3) I would next go for something arboreal to show how different species have adapted to utilize different environmental resources. Maybe an Avicularia or Poecilotheria species.

4) Keeping with the same theme, I would next choose a burrowing species such as a Haplopelma sp. or C. crawshayi. These could also be used to demonstrate defensive behaviors and threat postures.

5) Lastly, I would pick something really colorful such as C. cyaneopubescens.

John

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by gataloco
It depends on whether they're to be studied and looked at, or handled. My advice is to have one T that you know is docile (individual specimen can vary in temperament even among usually calm species) for the handling... And then have the rest for show, or just for you to bring out.

Actually, wouldn't hurt to have an aggressive species in there to show the difference in tarantula disposition. I agree with the vote for C. cyaneopubscens (but not for kids to hold - too jittery).

Avics are always a plus for the arboreal contingent. And of course a gigantic T. blondi is always a crowdpleaser (obviously not to be brought out).

b

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To Joy, and JP, and others who actually do demonstrations and such with Tarantulas, do you allow the crowd to handle your more docile species? Aren't you ever concerned that they may drop the T, or perhaps, due to a shakey limb, provoke a bite?
Some of my friends want to handle Peso when I start to, and I tell them I will let them once I know exactly what to expect from Peso, and what to do if any situation should arise. I'm not really worried about a bite, I started with a Pulchra for that very reason, but I would be a little worried about a drop suffered by a terrestrial species.
Paul

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would pick a similar list to the others... but mine would have a full grown Blondi or apophysys because of the wow effect the size has on people.

I guess my list would be:

1) G. Rosea
2) G. Aureostriata
3) Avic. avic or A. versicolour

Those are for handling

3) T. Blondi or T. Apophysys
4) P. Irminia (my personal fav for looks)

Those are for showing off :)

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
If you do let other people or younger children handle Peso, you should make sure basically that their hand is about 3" above a soft surface like a bed or a carpeted floor. Sometimes people will just "freak" and drop, flinch, or even toss an animal around. I had someone, when I ws a kid, actually throw my garter snake out of their hands because they got scared of holding it... people are stupid, what can I say?

Needless to say, it's not something I'd necessarily recommend... unless they are people you really trust, and they know how much Peso means to you, and thereby the trust you're placing in them.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rookie,

You can never be sure exactly what to expect from most exotic pets, they aren't as predictable as dogs or cats. You just get a general idea of their temperament and hope they don't have an off day.

I've let other people handle my animals (herps and inverts) at schools, etc. I try to judge which ones are feeling up to being handled that day. I've never had my animals bite anybody during a talk...except me!

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Galeo and Mr.
I've thought about my friends handling, and so on. Really, I just assume that by the time I'm confident enough to handle Peso, I'll know him/her well enough to decide whether or not other people should be handling him. Of course, this could be years from now, so I suppose there's no rush.
Paul

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
To Joy, and JP, and others who actually do demonstrations and such with Tarantulas, do you allow the crowd to handle your more docile species? Aren't you ever concerned that they may drop the T, or perhaps, due to a shakey limb, provoke a bite?
Some of my friends want to handle Peso when I start to, and I tell them I will let them once I know exactly what to expect from Peso, and what to do if any situation should arise. I'm not really worried about a bite, I started with a Pulchra for that very reason, but I would be a little worried about a drop suffered by a terrestrial species.
Paul
Like Holley, I've only worked with 1st and 2nd graders. However, I do not let them hold any of them. Not worth risking injury to the T and one errant bite would not only end my ability to bring them in to the school (and possibly get me sued), but it would be tremendous bad press for the hobby. And believe me, it would be in the news.

With that being said, I usually rope the teacher into letting the T walk across their hands while sitting at a desk. Fairly safe for the T, safe for the teacher, and the kids love it. Here is a picture of the last presentation I did.

Botar