Top 5 Largest Terrestrials Without Urticating Hairs?

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I haven't really been won over by any of theses =(

I liked the look and size of the Pelinobius muticus the best but it seems to have a lot of down sides from this website.

http://www.care-sheet.com/index/Pelinobius_muticus

Takes 8 years to grown into an adult =(

Very strong venom =(

Likes to sample anything that could be food =(

Like to burrow =(

I've been looking into the Arboreal T's and I think I've found one I'm happy with. Its the Singapore Blue. I'm not 100% sure what the scientific name is. It appears to have changed recently? Lampropelma violaceopes maybe? or Cyriopagopus sp?

Anyways whatever you call it. Its Arboreal but also seems to be a very good display pet. From what I've read they borrow while young then when the grow up they climb. I was trying to avoid Arboreal's because of their speed and I didn't want to have a pet web. Being able to see it is most important to me.

This is a big guy. I'm guessing she will be mostly legs but that's still cool. Less chance of getting hurt in a fall.

This one is aggressive but there are only two bite reports that I've found and both of them were very mild so I'm taking that as their venom is on the bee sting side of the scale instead of the tissue death + hospitalization side.

Just to verify I've got the names right its this one.

http://cebuclassifieds.mysugboclassifieds.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/c17b2_690.jpg

I'll prob start a new thread sometime next week if I can't find all the info i'm looking for but do any of you have advice or recommendations about these?

Cheers

King Baboon's actually aren't that bad :D most of the bites ive heard about its more the fact they have large fangs thats the issue more then the venom. Also the slow growth rate makes them have a long long life span females 30+ yrs sometimes.:D So to me its cool that they are slow growing because they live so long plus they get huge:D

Rob1985

This user has no status.
King baboon,
P ornata,
singapore blue
Indian red
H gigas
P. ornata? what the... :wall:

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

King Baboon's actually aren't that bad :D most of the bites ive heard about its more the fact they have large fangs thats the issue more then the venom. Also the slow growth rate makes them have a long long life span females 30+ yrs sometimes.:D So to me its cool that they are slow growing because they live so long plus they get huge:D
dude, any bite hurts! :barf:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
P. ornata? what the... :wall:

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

dude, any bite hurts! :barf:

If you've been bit by a brachy and also a pokie, you find out that the brachy does not really "hurt" in the true sense of a bad tarantula bite.

MrDusty

Arachnopeon
I have a question:

Is it true that only E murinus has urticating hairs in the Ephebopus genus? I haven't owned any and I've gotten conflicting information from the people I know who do.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Idk about the rest of them but from what I've read the Ephebopus cyanognathus also has them.

Mez

Arachnoknight
I believe E. cyanognathus has them on its pedipalps? Or one of the first set of legs anyway.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
If you've been bit by a brachy and also a pokie, you find out that the brachy does not really "hurt" in the true sense of a bad tarantula bite.
they all hurt... been tagged by an OBT and a G. rosea, both were not fun.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Barons, might I make another suggestion?

Check out P. Cambridgei. They have a subtle green color, not exactly the eye popping bling that the singapore blue contains. It is a semi arboreal, generally they make tube web starting from the bottom up. Mine comes out nightly for a walk around her enclosure. They aren't costly (slings can be had for around $15, I paid $80 for my 6" MF. Have seen others for around the same price.) No itchy hairs, they are less defensive than the P irminia, don't have major humidity requirements, etc etc. They are NW so their venom shouldn't be a huge worry.

Mine hasn't given me any threat poses, she does stand her ground & isn't much of a bolter. I did cage maintenance last night with both exo terra doors open & her on one of them. The MM I bred her to was pretty cool also.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you have a really good one =) That's one of the ones that sounded like a pet web =P though i'm not sure how correct this website is.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/care-P.cambridgei.htm

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.) G. rosea
2.) G. pulchripes
3.) G. pulchra
4.) G. ockerti
5.) E. murinus

Hope that helps ;) Btw; This is all from experience.
it's not G.ockerti, it's Thrixopelma ockerti and it has urticating hairs.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
King Baboon's actually aren't that bad :D most of the bites ive heard about its more the fact they have large fangs thats the issue more then the venom.
this is more of a sidenote, since i am slightly derailing but, i'd assume the mechanical bite alone from P. muticus would definitely suck. odd about your statement concerning the mildness of the venom though.

i've been under the impression a bite from P. muticus is commonly acknowleged as being pretty bad, like up there on lists of things you do not want to get bit by bad... but after some digging intitially to prove you wrong :)D) i keep getting conflicting statements on how truly terrible being bit by one is.

1.) G. rosea
2.) G. pulchripes
3.) G. pulchra
4.) G. ockerti
5.) E. murinus

Hope that helps ;) Btw; This is all from experience.
i wont even bother correcting you, since it was already stated but i just have to add ime, T. ockerti u-hairs were an absolutely terrible experience.

Last edited:

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Ive found King Baboon bites tend to very in bite reports some are bad others aren't. Its all rather confusing :p The venom thing was more based on what ive read about in bite reports still though getting bitten by a large female would suck big time.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Is it true that only E murinus has urticating hairs in the Ephebopus genus?
No, it isn't true. All species of the genus Ephebopus have a patch of type V urticating hairs located on the prolateral face of the femora, in both pedipalps.

Last edited: