Top 5 Largest Terrestrials Without Urticating Hairs?

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phlogius crassipes
Phlogius goliath
Pelinobius muticus (formerly Citharischius crawshayi)
Haplopelma hainanum
Hysterocrates gigas

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
King baboon,
P ornata,
singapore blue
Indian red
H gigas
Those aren't all terrestrials. I can't give you the top 5 myself because I simply don't know. King baboon is nice and beefy, but some would say its an obligate burrower not a terrestrial, but I consider it the same thing. Some of the Aussie species get pretty darn big as well.
I'll lt some others chime in with better responses.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Edit: not sure if the Aussie sp. slick hairs tho, never read much into them. Is Australia considered part of the old world? I think so, hmmmmmmm....

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Edit: not sure if the Aussie sp. slick hairs tho, never read much into them. Is Australia considered part of the old world? I think so, hmmmmmmm....
I heard somewhere that Australia and New Zealand are considered New World (or at least semi-New World... if that makes sense lol).

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.) G. rosea
2.) G. pulchripes
3.) G. pulchra
4.) G. ockerti
5.) E. murinus

Hope that helps ;) Btw; This is all from experience.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.) G. rosea
2.) G. pulchripes
3.) G. pulchra
4.) G. ockerti
5.) E. murinus

Hope that helps ;) Btw; This is all from experience.
I like how you chastise Anastasia for not reading a post, and you go do the same dang thing...

OP asked about the "Top 5 Largest Terrestrials Without Urticating Hairs". You're experience may need to do a little reading.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like how you chastise Anastasia for not reading a post, and you go do the same dang thing...

OP asked about the "Top 5 Largest Terrestrials Without Urticating Hairs". You're experience may need to do a little reading.
Lets just, stick to this thread, k? Thanks ;)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lets just, stick to this thread, k? Thanks ;)
I believe I was on topic. Just pointing out your list is the exact opposite of what was requested.

I'd feel badly allowing the OP to get it in their head that those species are large terrestrials without urticating hairs.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe I was on topic. Just pointing out your list is the exact opposite of what was requested.

I'd feel badly allowing the OP to get it in their head that those species are large terrestrials without urticating hairs.

=p

I would have researched them before buying. =) Though if I didn't it would be a nasty surprise to get a face full of urticating hairs while inspecting my new pet.

I think urticating would make a good curse word.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
=p

I would have researched them before buying. =) Though if I didn't it would be a nasty surprise to get a face full of urticating hairs while inspecting my new pet.

We make alot of words here cause of tarantulas {D I am so lividum; mad, angry, vicious.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, the E. murinus probably would have tried to kiss you instead ;) They only have them on their pedipalps & tend to be more defensive, so they are about the worst combination of itchy & bitey, lol.

It is in my book! Personally I keep very, very few species with them for a reason. Although my just under 1" C. ritae (dwarf species) trying to hair me was pretty cute ;)

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people are just sensitive to them I guess :? I have been hit by hairs MANY times by my brachy's, and never felt a thing!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some are sensitive from the start & I know of others that have built up sensitivity over time.

I know I have sensitive skin & try to avoid testing how i'd react.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Exactly. And I dont even get hit that much anyways.. Cause I dont piss em' off ;)

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't really been won over by any of theses =(

I liked the look and size of the Pelinobius muticus the best but it seems to have a lot of down sides from this website.

http://www.care-sheet.com/index/Pelinobius_muticus

Takes 8 years to grown into an adult =(

Very strong venom =(

Likes to sample anything that could be food =(

Like to burrow =(

I've been looking into the Arboreal T's and I think I've found one I'm happy with. Its the Singapore Blue. I'm not 100% sure what the scientific name is. It appears to have changed recently? Lampropelma violaceopes maybe? or Cyriopagopus sp?

Anyways whatever you call it. Its Arboreal but also seems to be a very good display pet. From what I've read they borrow while young then when the grow up they climb. I was trying to avoid Arboreal's because of their speed and I didn't want to have a pet web. Being able to see it is most important to me.

This is a big guy. I'm guessing she will be mostly legs but that's still cool. Less chance of getting hurt in a fall.

This one is aggressive but there are only two bite reports that I've found and both of them were very mild so I'm taking that as their venom is on the bee sting side of the scale instead of the tissue death + hospitalization side.

Just to verify I've got the names right its this one.

http://cebuclassifieds.mysugboclassifieds.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/c17b2_690.jpg

I'll prob start a new thread sometime next week if I can't find all the info i'm looking for but do any of you have advice or recommendations about these?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't really been won over by any of theses =(

I liked the look and size of the Pelinobius muticus the best but it seems to have a lot of down sides from this website.

http://www.care-sheet.com/index/Pelinobius_muticus

Takes 8 years to grown into an adult =(

Very strong venom =(

Likes to sample anything that could be food =(

Like to burrow =(

I've been looking into the Arboreal T's and I think I've found one I'm happy with. Its the Singapore Blue. I'm not 100% sure what the scientific name is. It appears to have changed recently? Lampropelma violaceopes maybe? or Cyriopagopus sp?

Anyways whatever you call it. Its Arboreal but also seems to be a very good display pet. From what I've read they borrow while young then when the grow up they climb. I was trying to avoid Arboreal's because of their speed and I didn't want to have a pet web. Being able to see it is most important to me.

This is a big guy. I'm guessing she will be mostly legs but that's still cool. Less chance of getting hurt in a fall.

This one is aggressive but there are only two bite reports that I've found and both of them were very mild so I'm taking that as their venom is on the bee sting side of the scale instead of the tissue death + hospitalization side.

Just to verify I've got the names right its this one.

http://cebuclassifieds.mysugboclassifieds.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/c17b2_690.jpg

I'll prob start a new thread sometime next week if I can't find all the info i'm looking for but do any of you have advice or recommendations about these?

Cheers
Yes, that is Lampropelma violaceopes. Gorgeous and with a large legspan but I've heard they can be quite reclusive as well. I'm sure some individuals are less retiring but there's probably an equally likely chance it would be very shy. As slings and juvies, they're as much a burrower as any.

Also, I'd be hesitant to classify them as having moderate venom. There are a lot of pokie bite reports that are mild; if there are only 2 bite reports for this species, I'd still err on the side of caution and assume their bites suck. They are OWers, after all. For what its worth, I've heard of some pretty bad Cyriopagopus bites.

I say, if you really like the looks of something and feel your capable of providing it the proper care, you should get whatever you want. If they're shy, it makes it all the more special when you get to see it.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T.Blondi did it for me with the hairs, I came up in tons of itchy little blisters and would have to run my hand under a hot tap for relief.

This lasted for at least a year after my Blondi died, now even hairs released by my Rosea in the soil will bring me up in a similar reaction.

Typical huh? :evil:

For now I have mostly Baboons, Kings are lovely and are my favourite t for the crushed velvet look and the thicker than a pencil back legs.

They can be monsters too!

I have just aquired a Salmon Pink sling and i'm gonna see if I can bring it up to the 10.5" my AF goliath reached before it died.

Some sacrifices have to be made though to own something you like.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

If it was a burrowers list I would have included H.Hercules in that list because it is known to be larger than the KB, but whether or not anyone can actually own one in the hobby is subject to much debate and speculation.

I would love to get my hands on a baboon spider with a carapace shape much thicker than the norm!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Barons, might I make another suggestion?

Check out P. Cambridgei. They have a subtle green color, not exactly the eye popping bling that the singapore blue contains. It is a semi arboreal, generally they make tube web starting from the bottom up. Mine comes out nightly for a walk around her enclosure. They aren't costly (slings can be had for around $15, I paid $80 for my 6" MF. Have seen others for around the same price.) No itchy hairs, they are less defensive than the P irminia, don't have major humidity requirements, etc etc. They are NW so their venom shouldn't be a huge worry.

Mine hasn't given me any threat poses, she does stand her ground & isn't much of a bolter. I did cage maintenance last night with both exo terra doors open & her on one of them. The MM I bred her to was pretty cool also.