Top 5 best display T's

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was just wondering what u all thought where the top 5 best display T's in ur opinons

Thanks, Sean

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My list is made up of only New World Species, because that is all that I will keep. I don't think that I should recommend anything that I won't keep.

Acanthoscuria geniculata
Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma smithi
Chromatapelma cyanopubescens
Megaphobema mesomelas

However, if I had to recommend an old worlder, I would recommend any of the Pokies -- especially regalis and miranda. Be careful with these as they reputedly have potent venom.

Jon

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are my five favorites

Cyclosternum fasciatum\ Costa Rican Tigerrump
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens\ Green Bottle Blue
Avicularia Versicolor\ Antilles Pink Toe
Aphonopelma\ Mexican Blood Leg
Poecilotheria regalis\ Indian Ornamental

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine would be:
1. Any of the brachypelmas, especially emilia, bohemei(spelling?), and smithi
2. A. Geniculata....these are very active and pretty
3. L. Parahybana...it's big and pretty, and it doesn't hide much
4. A. Avicularia...the pink booties are just adorable
5. Any of the pokies.....especially regalis and rufilata

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A GBB hast to one top of everyones list! That and an Avic;P

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not sure the people who answered so far are paying close attention to the word "display" in their answers.

Tigerrumps are extremely beautiful, but you only see them slightly more than a cobalt blue. Poecilotheria and Avicularia all spend the majority of their time completely concealed. I've even got a hard time calling greenbottles display Ts because they tend to head for concealment at the first sign of disturbance.

I would say five great display Ts are:

Acanthoscurria geniculata - huge, nice markings, spends most of its time in plain view.

Brachypelma smithi - good sized, looks just like what people think of when they hear "tarantula", beautiful, spends most of its time in plain view.

Brachypelma boehmi - similar to the B. smithi, but coloration that makes your eyes bug out.

Aphonopelma bicoloratum - not quite as flashy as the B. boehmi, but similarly striking good looks and doesn't mind spending most of its time in plain view.

Nhandu coloratovillosus - I don't know if mine is unusual, but she is almost always in plain view, looks marvelous, and has a lot of personality (mainly extremely hungry and cranky, but personality all the same ;)).

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm...That's a tough one...So many to choose from :p

If I had to narrow it down, I would say:

1) Poecilotheria regalis or ornata
2) Psalmopoeus irminia
3) Lasiodora parahybana
4) Cyriopagopus thorelli
5) Brachypelma smithi, emilia, or klaasi

So hard to choose, though :?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. Cyclosternum fasciatum
2. Aphonopelma seemani
3. Heteroscodra maculata
4. Brachypelma emilia
5. Lasiodora cristatus

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Chip - My C. fasciatum seems to only go invisble on me when molt comes near.. he's been out for like 3 months straight now..

So my list would be...

C. fasciatum
X. immanis
C. cyaneopubescens
A. geniculata
A. versicolor

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Chip - My C. fasciatum seems to only go invisble on me when molt comes near.. he's been out for like 3 months straight now..
We need to get yours to talk to mine - after I dug her out for that photo, she spent the next 2 days webbing up everything in protest, and then still went back underground when she was done. All I see regularly is the little black legs grabbing a cricket through the quasi-trap door she's made of silk and dirt for a hunting blind.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My C. Fasciatum is pretty visible, also. It's a sling so that may change yet, but I've only seen him dig a burrow-like object once so far.

The burrow was the diameter of a quarter all the way down for a spider the same size.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
We need to get yours to talk to mine - after I dug her out for that photo, she spent the next 2 days webbing up everything in protest, and then still went back underground when she was done. All I see regularly is the little black legs grabbing a cricket through the quasi-trap door she's made of silk and dirt for a hunting blind.
Just out of curiosity, what's she on? Mine's on very little substrate, but still manages to hide when he wants to. He's also made several small holes that have crap covering the entrances, which he'd use when I fed him underground sometimes.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Just out of curiosity, what's she on? Mine's on very little substrate, but still manages to hide when he wants to.
It's a peat/verm mix. It started off as very little (less than 2") but she's very good at "sculpting" it to suit her needs. Very little of the substrate is actually where it started. Instead, with a lot of spider sweat and silk she's got an underground chamber with all the substrate elevated up above that. Antisocial little beast :)

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My top 5 would be as follows:

Theraphosa apophysis---When there 10" or bigger they are quite a site

Grammostola aureostriatum--JP version 1.0 has an awsome large female

Megaphombema robustum---if you have ever seen an adult female, nuff said.

Lasiadora klugi---I have a 8" female.she's my fav. out of my hole collection.

Brachypelma emilia---one hot spider!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really wanted to put B. boehemei and B. emilia and C. fasciatatum on my list, but only 5 choices.

@ Tarantula Lover

Wow! You really like the Anphonopelmas. They just don't do "it" for me too much. I don't know the scientific names off the top of my head, but Rio Grande Gold and Carlsbad green are alright. But I think that they both have counterparts in other genuses that are similar yet more vivid in my opinion.

@ Code Monkey

I'm gonna have to go with Bill on this one. The only time my C. fasciatatum goes underground is for an approaching molt. He's still 1.25 - 1.5 inches though. But IME, the older spiders get, the less they burrow -- aside from obligate burrowers.

Also, IMO, a good display T, doesn't necessessarily have to be out all the time. If it does something really cool like build an intricate web like the arborials and GBB and Usambara, then you still have something that makes for a good display, if given a good house to do so in.

Jon

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C. cyaneopubescens
B. boehmi
B. emelia
L.parahybana
A. geniculata

Andy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, I've got the small up and coming tigerrump sling, so here's to hoping this one takes after your guys' Ts and not its neighbor the antisocial C. fasciatum.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Displays, mine are rarely seen....they take after me; little rebels.

1. P. murinus
2. P. irminia
3. B. boehmei (I don't have one, but they are sooo gorgeous)
4. A. geniculata
5. A. seemani (mine just molted to about 2.5" and has such a HUGE attitude for such a little chump. I've tried to get her to bite me and she will strike like a maniac, but only with her feet. I think she's all talk. But when I open the cage, she will actually come out and greet me....and just keep inching closer and if i drop something in...run out and tag it on spot)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1.Xenesthis intermedius
2.Theraphosa apophysis
3.Poecilotheria metallica
4.Pamphobeteus antinous
5.Stromatopelma satanus

Interestingly enough, Grammastola rosea (red morph) and Heterascodra maculata would come a close 6th and 7th.

This is my ultimate list, hear me roar.

To me, G.rosea and X.intermedius are each just as impossible for me to obtain, so money, rarity or the usual availablity has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Cheers,
Steve