Top 3 BEST Old World Ts?

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Which of the Old World Ts is the most entertaining?

Best feeding response?

Least bolty and least likely to be a pet hole/web.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have no idea. All my Old Worlds have characteristics you mention. I only have/have had Baboons, and Pokies. They burrow or live on the backside of their logs, they can all be fast, and/or aggressive. So I have no answer to your query, but I fear my response will be common because most Asians (like Cobalt Blues) fall into this as well

cold blood

Staff member
using your criteria i will give ya 3.

1. C. marshalli-- great eaters, fast growers and mine are always out. Typically calm and not bolty.

2. C. darlingi--very similar to the above, but they hide a little more, but are usually visible at the mouth of the burrow if theyre not out. Not bolty at all, but a little more defemsive than marshalli.

3. A. ezendami--i will add this disclaimer...slings are poor eaters and slow growers...but as juvies and adults, theyre excellent eaters and tend to remain visible at the mouth of the burrow. But they just might be the calmest, least bolty baboon out there.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I only have two (Pterinochilus Murinus and Poecilotheria Metallica). Can‘t speak much on the first one since I’ve only had it two weeks. The Pmet is a juvenile and has been bolty as described by everything I’ve read. What it has not been is light sensitive and sits out in the open most always. As far as eating, it’s been decent. Mine tends to assess and then stalk, I’ve yet to have it immediately pounce on anything from the gate. Did I mention bolty! Anytime the enclosure is opened it’s all over the place, circles around high and low, there is no figuring out it’s movement or theme on how it would “normally“ react...sporadic.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1. Harpactira pulchripes. Visible and not super defensive. Fast growing and beautiful, even after losing the orange color in adulthood.
2. Hysterocrates sp. Fast growing, large, make intricate burrow systems, always active it seems....just keep them on the moist side.
3. All the rest I have are bolty, defensive, and/or pet holes.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
1. Harpactira pulchripes. Visible and not super defensive. Fast growing and beautiful, even after losing the orange color in adulthood.
2. Hysterocrates sp. Fast growing, large, make intricate burrow systems, always active it seems....just keep them on the moist side.
3. All the rest I have are bolty, defensive, and/or pet holes.
What color does the H Pulchripes mature to? Gold or does it go to buff? thx

mellow

Arachnobaron
I am most interested in Monocentropus balfouri, Poecilotheria rufilata, and harpactira pulchripes, I don't know if they are the best old world tarantulas, I just think that they would be pretty cool to keep. 😃

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H pulchripes is one, if not the only, old world I'd be willing to risk owning, and with all the videos I've watched or threads I've read, if I knew I'd get a calm one, I would.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I am most interested in Monocentropus balfouri, Poecilotheria rufilata, and harpactira pulchripes, I don't know if they are the best old world tarantulas, I just think that they would be pretty cool to keep. 😃
M Balfour is probably one of the calmest OWs, and considered a good start. I own a P Rufilata and so far she has been super sweet and easy. I had a harder time rehousing my C Versicolor. H Pulchripes is next on my list, I should have grabbed one at the last show (Anaheim - January)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Poecilotheria subfusca "Lowland" - Pretty visible and easily the calmest Poecilotheria species I've kept.
Ceratogyrus meridionalis - I see mine out fairly often although it does duck straight back into its burrow when disturbed.
Monocentropus balfouri - Fairly calm but can be pretty reclusive at times.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What color does the H Pulchripes mature to? Gold or does it go to buff? thx
The two adult females I have went from "OBT" orange when immature, to more of a subdued tan with orange and gold highlights at maturity. Still very beautiful by all means.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The two adult females I have went from "OBT" orange when immature, to more of a subdued tan with orange and gold highlights at maturity. Still very beautiful by all means.
Thanks, so they start out orange and fade to gold. I was worried they started out gold and faded to buff

MontePython

Arachnosquire
H. pulchripes is at the top of my list so far - even as a sling, mine is gorgeous, out almost all the time, and a good eater. Granted, if he doesn't want something I've given him, he drowns it in his water dish, but c'est la vie.

I've only had my C. marshalli sling for a day now, and he's already just as good if not better an eater than H. pulchripes, but is much shier. I've heard that'll improve as he puts some size on though, and I'm excited for it!

If you like browns, H. himalayana is gorgeous, and while I can't speak for all of them, my juvie isn't very defensive at all. That said, she's a pet web during the day (though she comes out at night), so that might not be up your street, but she's proving a good 'baby's first asian' so far.