Tools and Cleaning

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am curious on a couple items where I feel I am coming up short.

Has anyone found that the tools from the common Pet Stores are dishwasher safe? I have tried to search for dishwasher safe tongs, but when I do "kitchen" tongs overwhelm the search results.

I also like the idea of using dishwasher safe water bowls, but this would only be easy to apply to much larger T's since tiny water containers seem to be overwhelmingly made in light weight plastic that doesn't appear to be high temperature safe. How often do you completely remove the water bowl and insert a new one?

Edit* I try to change the water dish often for the ones that soil the dish with substrate, etc.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I just use Exo-Terra tongs and clean off the ends with a damp paper towel after every feeding/cleaning. And then every now and then I'll wash it with soap.

As for the bowls, I use bottle caps for the slings and disposable jello shot glasses which make a life a lot easier for me and the animals.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I also use water bottle caps for my juvies. My routine is grab a fresh bottle, refill all the dishes, replace whatever dish is most dirty with the new one, and chug the rest of the water myself.

The only downfall is that now I find myself hoarding the caps of every bottle I drink. People must think I'm so strange tossing an empty water bottle but pocketing the cap lol

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't underestimate the power of a bleach/water solution and a rinse in the sink. Oh and paper towels.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Don't underestimate the power of a bleach/water solution and a rinse in the sink. Oh and paper towels.
Okay. I guess I was paranoid on whether residue from the cleaner might create a problem, but I suppose the thorough rinse is the key.

As often as needed. I don't put anything that involves my animals in the dishwasher.
After reading a bit I think you are right. A dishwasher does not sterilize. They do have models that have a Sanitizing Cycle which supposedly kills 99.9% of the germs, but I think the unknown is not worth the dice roll (especially after the dishwasher gets older).

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
After reading a bit I think you are right. A dishwasher does not sterilize. They do have models that have a Sanitizing Cycle which supposedly kills 99.9% of the germs, but I think the unknown is not worth the dice roll (especially after the dishwasher gets older).
I don't think he's talking about the sterilization process in the dishwasher, but more so the chemicals that can stay on after the washing process which may affect the T in a negative way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think he's talking about the sterilization process in the dishwasher, but more so the chemicals that can stay on after the washing process which may affect the T in a negative way.
Correct.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The only downfall is that now I find myself hoarding the caps of every bottle I drink. People must think I'm so strange tossing an empty water bottle but pocketing the cap lol
I did that too for a while. It made little sense as I only had six spiders that I needed small caps for. It did not take long to accumulate 20 or 30 in a drawer. Caps, that is. :D