Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Took a road trip today...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by scott308, Aug 23, 2015.

1. scott308

scott308 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Advertisement
    Made the 2 hourish drive to Cold Blood's house today and bought some spiders. A pair of A. ezendami and a pair of C. darlingi slings. My wife and I enjoyed having an opportunity to talk to another keeper, especially someone with a lot more experience than we have. We also were able to see his setups and get some tips from him on how he does some things. Good learning experience for us, especially my wife as she sometimes feels that just because someone online said they do it a certain way and have had success for a long period of time doing so, doesn't mean we are going to do it that way. (She thought it was fairly ridiculous doing transfers in the bathtub with the drain and faucet all sealed up...until one of the Borneo Blacks decided they didn't want to cooperate and was able to be corralled fairly easily. Unlike what would have happened had we done that at the kitchen table like she wanted.) Getting to meet someone with an extensive collection and seeing how they do things firsthand, however, especially with spiders that we have, was helpful.

• Like Like x 8
  2. skullking

skullking Arachnosquire

Thats really cool. I live about an hour away from Cold Blood and spent a good deal of time talking to him last night. Cool to see another person who is pretty close by.

3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Always good to meet others in the area, us Wisconsonites gotta stick together, its not the most popular hobby up here in the frozen tundra.

4. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

hey if it wasnt for those last two words id be another one up there ;)

5. skullking

skullking Arachnosquire

Its not that cold lol

6. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

my rooms a minimum of 80.. 75 if im running a temp ;P

7. cold blood

So is mine...we do have houses AND heaters within them here in WI.:wink:

8. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

But.. If i walked outside 8 mons out of the year this fire would freeze xD ever seen a lardsicle? U will if i go there...

Not gona lie almost moved to montana, mainly cuz its beautiful there and i like yaks...but then i was like "2 months of weather above 50? How about, no!" lol

9. cold blood

3 words for the cold...THE NORTH FACE.

We also wear quality jackets:wink:

10. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Two words... Too fat.. Lmao ;) heck i wear 2 shirts and a 10ish oz hoodie to work and its tstats only at 70 ;)

11. cold blood

When it comes to the cold, you southerners are WEAK!! I'm often in a boat fishing in the middle of winter....snow storms are the best. Heck, my dog, which has minimal fur, still goes for 2 hour walks when its 10 degrees. Seriously, if you dress properly and stay a little active, the cold isn't really that bad....and for a northerner, I'm weak when it comes to cold...but compared to you southerners I look like a cold weather champ!!:biggrin:

12. pyro fiend

pyro fiend Arachnoprince

Hey now im no southerner.. Thems fightin words ;) im from the middle of the map. Midwest ;).. Im just an odd ball tho everyone was saying it was hot outside and i was content in my hoodie.. Its almost 60 outside and im in sweat pants and a sweat shirt and in a blanket xD. Everyone elese is saying how lovely it is and how they have fans in the windows.. Brrrrr.. Lmao Im used to 112° with 90%+ humidity.. Thats not even near the waters lmao im convinced im part reptile xD

.ark my word ill come to the land of cheese soon enough xD

13. cold blood

I can relate...there's plenty of times in the boat where my buddy will have his shirt off sweating his bum off and I'm on the other side of the boat with a hoodie AND fleece on. I just prepare and try to keep extra clothes around at all times. Highs of 64 today with high winds and I guarantee I'll be bundled up more than anyone on the water today (last tournament of the season in my league tonight).

We still consider MO the "south"....you got a drive north to get to the "real" Midwest.;)

14. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Ah ah, we are both mans from the North (even if from different continents). Cold, cold rain, snow.. and fog. I love fog, our Lombardy a la "Jack the ripper" fog. People from Southern Italy can't stand that cold enviroment like us :)

15. Arachnomaniac19

Arachnomaniac19 Arachnolord

Well I feel like a cold weather champ now!

16. magneto

magneto Arachnoknight

Man of the north? You? Ha! You still live in the tropics compared to me. :tongue: (Just kidding)
    Granted, you live close enough to the mountains to experience fairly cold winters but does it get as cold as -35°C (-31°F) on a regular basis in the winter down there? It does where I live.

In my opinion you have to be at least scandinavian to claim the title northman. :tongue:
    It's even in our name. The norwegian word for "norwegian" is "nordmann", translate that directely to english you get "northman".

17. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA

Two sides to that coin, son. When it comes to heat, you northerners are pansies. A little honest sweat and you'd think you guys were melting. The whining I've heard!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Ah ah.. can't compare "Berserker" nation winters to ours of course :) I like Norway.. among the three is the only one that fascinate me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. magneto

magneto Arachnoknight

I know. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else despite the long cold winters. But Italy is a fantastic place to visit. I haven't been in the north yet though, only in Sicily and Rome.

20. Slimdean

Slimdean Arachnopeon

I'd rather freeze to death than sweat to death..... And there were times I swear I sweated more than I thought possible here in central Florida.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.