Too Stupid For Hot Snakes

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some articles..

Drugged Snake owner bitten

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/ci_15759861

On Thursday morning a report by Pennsylvania State Police in Chambersburg said Barry Painter Sr., 38, was intoxicated and playing with a venomous western Gaboon viper at a home in Cumberland County when he was bitten. He is engaged to be married, and has five children, ages 2-15.

On Wednesday night he "reached down into the snake's cage like he normally does" to change its bedding when it suddenly bit him twice on the hand, she said.

Painter was taken to Chambersburg Hospital, then flown by helicopter to Harrisburg. Then began the nerve-wracking search for antivenin, Jessica Painter said.

"It took them four hours to get the antivenin. They finally got it from the Philadelphia Zoo, and had it flown to the hospital. We were pacing the floor," she said.

"My brother's up there fighting for his life, and they're saying he was drunk or on drugs," she said.

Police also report that illegal drugs were found at the home where Painter was bitten, and that the drugs have been linked to him. The drugs were allegedly found while searching for the loose viper.

As Painter was sent on his way to the hospital, state police knocked on snake catcher Charles Bonsell's door and drove him at 70 mph to Walnut Dale Road, Bonsell said.

"I caught it and I shot it," he said. "I threw him in the ground and buried him. I'm not a snake lover."

Bonsell said that Painter's acquaintance at first did not want Bonsell to shoot the snake, but state police convinced him to have it destroyed. Bonsell fired five rounds from a .22 caliber pistol into the viper.

Jessica Painter said the police found psychedelic mushrooms, but contends that the illegal fungi did not belong to her brother. She said there were several other people at the house Wednesday night.

Painter has not been charged for drug possession, Pinkerton said. The investigation is still ongoing.
Viperkeeper's mini rant about it

::attachment was not cooperating::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBkvjSPDA6Y

:wall:

Last edited:

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
More ammunition to try and ban exotic reptiles. =\

I dont quite understand how someone would want to handle an animal that dangerous. I'm putting this under handling since they say he "reached down into the cage (I'll come back to this "cage" as well) like he normally does". Having unnecessary contact with the animal while not using the proper handling equipment is extremely reckless. Reaching down into the cage to me means it was probably in an aquarium. I dont find aquariums to be proper caging for venomous. The best thing would be a Neodesha cage, One peice construction with sliding glass door and best of all no lips for the snakes to hide behind on top of the doors.

I dont find a ban would have helped in this bite either. If they have illegal substances around their house I doubt they really care what the law says about keeping venomous snakes.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More ammunition to try and ban exotic reptiles. =\

I dont quite understand how someone would want to handle an animal that dangerous. I'm putting this under handling since they say he "reached down into the cage (I'll come back to this "cage" as well) like he normally does". Having unnecessary contact with the animal while not using the proper handling equipment is extremely reckless. Reaching down into the cage to me means it was probably in an aquarium. I dont find aquariums to be proper caging for venomous. The best thing would be a Neodesha cage, One peice construction with sliding glass door and best of all no lips for the snakes to hide behind on top of the doors.

I dont find a ban would have helped in this bite either. If they have illegal substances around their house I doubt they really care what the law says about keeping venomous snakes.
The guy was totally ****-faced drunk, and drunks don't need a reason to do stupid things. It just sorta goes with the territory. Unfortunately, like you said, it will be used as more fuel to ban exotics, probably not just venomous snakes, either, and the usual "WE NEED A LAW" people won't even consider the fact that he was drunk when he did this. They will blame the snake instead, which amounts to blaming the make of car involved in a drunk driving crash instead of the driver being incapacitated by alchohol or drugs.

pitbulllady

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So... they shot it. That is just damn peachy. Why is it always the animals that suffer for humanity's idiocy? Grrr.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
If you break down the stats of venomous bites in the USA, it is amusing the percentage that occur to intoxicated people.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"I caught it and I shot it," he said. "I threw him in the ground and buried him. I'm not a snake lover."

Bonsell said that Painter's acquaintance at first did not want Bonsell to shoot the snake, but state police convinced him to have it destroyed. Bonsell fired five rounds from a .22 caliber pistol into the viper.

<<<Rolls eyes.
People are so utterly stupid.

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

<<<Rolls eyes.
It should be legal to shoot people like this. I'm not a lover of people like this.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I think every good dope head deserves his own viper. Mean,maybe but this is really just natural selection, If your that slow It's time to go!

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight

<<<Rolls eyes.
Why shoot the snake, it was the dudes fault, fire .22 rounds at him eh.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'll stick to getting drunk and handling my tokay gecko =) lol. ya'll saw my pics of that bite... pretty funny.

This is why i do not own venomous.. I would be too likely to handle it.