Too small > too big??

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Too small > too big?? Pics...

Ok, last week I had questions about feeding my Psalmopoeus cambridgei in the thread feeding psalmopoeus which a few people answered for which I'm grateful.

In that thread, WYSIWYG mentioned that he thought the container my critter was in was a bit small for my T. That's cool because I didn't really like that tall jar anyway as it was difficult to photograph through as it was plastic and it was pretty webbed up too. So I bought this nice aquarium from the local Pets@home (a bit like the US Petco I think) and am pretty pleased with it. Only thing is, I'm wondering if it is a bit on the big side. What do you guys think? Personally I like it but worry that she might have difficulties finding food in there due to the size of it. My P. cambridgei is about 4.5"

Hope you like the little setup:)

And here's Mildred herself:

Last edited:

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
VERY nice setup! :) Out of curiosity, what do you have in the orange keeper with the bulb?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
VERY nice setup! :) Out of curiosity, what do you have in the orange keeper with the bulb?
That's my G.rosea, Margot. That bulb doesn't get switched on by the way, don't wanna dry her out too much. I used it when I first got her (she was my first T:D ) but stopped using it after everybody said it was a bad idea to use bulbs. My spare room where I keep the T's stay at around 74-77f so I only heat the room if it drops below 74.

Here's Margot:

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Surely you wont have to change the enclosure again according to growth.:)

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey

Yeah its ok! I keep My irminia in one of thoes and she has done nicely.
Great cambridgei its so pretty do u know what sex it is?
any ways have a nice day
geo

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know to be honest. It was sold to me as a "probable female" and I'm not too good at sexing T's as I have only just started keeping them. Anybody want to have a guess? I would guess female, but that IS a guess.

Attachments

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi

Who's going for male on this one?
I'm not really a sex expert but I'm going for male.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will take a stab and say female as well, I have circled what appears to be the opening to the epigastric furrow. I could be and have been wrong.

dale

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still getting the hang of this but I'm gonna say male. just by that dark patch but I could be wrong and I probably am.

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderFood
I will take a stab and say female as well, I have circled what appears to be the opening to the epigastric furrow. I could be and have been wrong.

dale
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
I'm still getting the hang of this but I'm gonna say male. just by that dark patch but I could be wrong and I probably am.
Well, that's that one sorted then. ;) :D

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi

The epigastric furrow is close it seams plus on the button of the carapace there are small bumps the male uses for sperm secretion and thats why I belive its a male. well I'm not so good at this sexing thing but i'm trying. any ways have a nice day
geo

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i seen that tank in petland for $27 and i was thinking of getting it for my next T. my only problems with it was the top lid, it didnt look too secure to keep in tarantulas and roaches. how do you find it working?

and if you think its too big, just add some more substrate

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by chuck
i seen that tank in petland for $27 and i was thinking of getting it for my next T. my only problems with it was the top lid, it didnt look too secure to keep in tarantulas and roaches.
If you look at the picture with the shelving on you can see that I had to cut it down a bit to make it fit on the bottom shelf. There is about 2mm room there so I can't see anything escaping from it.

I suppose you could aways put something on the top of the lid to hold it down if necessary. There is a second lid that is supposed to fit underneath so that you can put a lit in between the two if you really want to, but I took it out as it would mean more drilling and further restrictions to the airflow in the tank.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that would be cool since the t is as large as it is now. It probably couldnt get out without injury. I would feel safe about that tank.

dale

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like the set-up, I want to get something like that for my P. formosa, but maybe a little bit shorter.

I'm sure your P. cambridgei will like it.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As your Chevy is not far off full size, I'd say that tank is just about right. Very nice too - how much was it?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
As your Chevy is not far off full size, I'd say that tank is just about right. Very nice too - how much was it?
The tank cost me the princely sum of £18. I was thinking about building a tank for her myself but after factoring everything in I don't think I could have done such a nice one for any cheaper.:)

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Simon.
I use a tank like that for my adult arboreals. Does the black rim around the top pull off?
It it does you can glue some mesh into it and have a secure top.

You can see what I mean here better.

Click here

Chid