Too small to sex?

Napier19

Arachnopeon
20160827_235627.jpg Just curious if my pokie vittata is too small to sex? Solid 1.5" not had long enough to secure a molt. Don't have much to work with pic wise. I hope it zooms as well as it does on my phone. :/

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
If you were to obtain a molt you might be able to but through ventral sexing at this size I'd have to say no, you won't be able to definitively sex it.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
View attachment 219005 Just curious if my pokie vittata is too small to sex? Solid 1.5" not had long enough to secure a molt. Don't have much to work with pic wise. I hope it zooms as well as it does on my phone. :/
I think picture is not close enough nor do I think the lighting is enough.

If you have a magnifying glass, take a picture through that and try to get a little better lighting.

Better yet, wait for a molt. Poecs molt fast.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That pic is way too far away.. I have a suspicion but untill I see a closer pic It's not worth offering an opinion. Try to get a better pic..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A clearer photo would help, although ventral is never 100%. Usually Poecs are some of rhe easiest to ventral sex but I'm not sure at this size.

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Yea my stupid camera wouldn't focus close so I had to back up and then zoom in on it. I read that 1.5 to 2" is optimal time for pokies. I've got a feeling it is a male. I seen some picture diagrams of promiximal portion of the abd that showed a little triangle on males and a horizontal line on females. Idk the precision of this method though. This is my first pokie and I only had my H. Mac prior to it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea my stupid camera wouldn't focus close so I had to back up and then zoom in on it. I read that 1.5 to 2" is optimal time for pokies. I've got a feeling it is a male. I seen some picture diagrams of promiximal portion of the abd that showed a little triangle on males and a horizontal line on females. Idk the precision of this method though. This is my first pokie and I only had my H. Mac prior to it.
Below is a 1.0 P rufi, 2" DLS I owned. The "dot" indicates he's male.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Plus, the dot can be either dark or light, depending on the age and species.
Ah, thanks Poec! As I've only done it twice, with the same species, I didn't know that. I forget how accurate the dot method is across the genus. What's your experience on that been?