TOO MUCH SPACE??

Wildlife98

Arachnopeon
I got this little curly hair sling a little while ago and I bought the next enclosure in advance for when it outgrows it's current one. I'm excited to set up the new tank and transfer him. I'm basically just asking if it's too soon, like if he'll have too much space or something. Although I would love to do it asap instead of him being in the dinky little Tupperware that doesnt display him at all currently, I don't wanna do anything I shouldn't do yet.
I purposely got my hand in the frame to show a size comparison to give an idea of the size of the current enclosure and the sling. Any help would be awesome ☺ IMG_2830.jpg IMG_2834.jpg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I'd leave it where it is for now. It's got plenty of room in the cup. Sure, the Kritter Keeper might be a little more attractive (to you) but your spider will feel more secure in the smaller space. If you move it over to the larger cage, you may find that it spends all its time buried in the substrate or cowering in the hide. Also, in a larger enclosure, it will have to work harder (and venture further away from its designated "safe spot") to find food.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I got this little curly hair sling a little while ago and I bought the next enclosure in advance for when it outgrows it's current one. I'm excited to set up the new tank and transfer him. I'm basically just asking if it's too soon, like if he'll have too much space or something. Although I would love to do it asap instead of him being in the dinky little Tupperware that doesnt display him at all currently, I don't wanna do anything I shouldn't do yet.
I purposely got my hand in the frame to show a size comparison to give an idea of the size of the current enclosure and the sling. Any help would be awesome ☺ View attachment 264821 View attachment 264822
It would do better in the smaller enclosure for now. In one molt or two you should be good to rehouse.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I think slings do better in smaller enclosures. If it was me I might even have that one in a smaller container than that deli. If you want something that will make her easier to see you might have a look at the local restaurant supply place, they have all kinds of containers, some that might be easier to see through. Albo’s grow fast though, it won’t be long before she is ready for the critter keeper. I’d wait until she’s at 2” dls to move into it though.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Yeah stick with the smaller. If you don't like the deli cup aesthetic then you can get a container from Hobby Lobby. They have various display cases that are excellent for slings. You just have to drill holes in them (and keep the holes very small so they can't get out).

Here's a pic of a few of them that I put together for some slings (2 GBBs and a P. auratus). I love clear enclosures so I am a total Hobby Lobby groupie even though most of store is a hell of kitschy art and excessive holiday decor. 1210171036.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Personally I think slings do better in smaller enclosures.
Without a doubt.
----
Put that sling into that KK and it will burrow away and disappear...so much for your display of the t.

Keep it where it is until its at least 2.5"

Last edited:

Wildlife98

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone I'll keep him where he's at for now until he molts another couple times or so. I might just set up the tank now though because thats probably my favorite part anyways lol

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Personally, I'd leave it where it is for now. It's got plenty of room in the cup. Sure, the Kritter Keeper might be a little more attractive (to you) but your spider will feel more secure in the smaller space. If you move it over to the larger cage, you may find that it spends all its time buried in the substrate or cowering in the hide. Also, in a larger enclosure, it will have to work harder (and venture further away from its designated "safe spot") to find food.
At that size, I would also be a little worried that the sling might be able to squeeze through the larger ventilation holes in the Kritter Keeper.

Wildlife98

Arachnopeon
At that size, I would also be a little worried that the sling might be able to squeeze through the larger ventilation holes in the Kritter Keeper.
I am gonna wait until it grows a little but I dont think that would be a problem. Idk if he maybe looks smaller in the picture or something but his legspan is about the size of a quarter and the ventilation is just slits.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am gonna wait until it grows a little but I dont think that would be a problem. Idk if he maybe looks smaller in the picture or something but his legspan is about the size of a quarter and the ventilation is just slits.
The general rule of thumb is that if the carapace is smaller than the hole, the tarantula may be able to escape. They are much more flexible than you might expect.

Wildlife98

Arachnopeon
The general rule of thumb is that if the carapace is smaller than the hole, the tarantula may be able to escape. They are much more flexible than you might expect.
Do you mean like measuring from top to bottom of the carapace?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Do you mean like measuring from top to bottom of the carapace?
I would look at the diameter (how big across) and the thickness. You want both dimensions to be larger than all of the ventilation holes.

This is definitely a situation where it's better safe than sorry. (The odds of finding an escaped sling are close to 0.) There have been a couple of times where I set up a new enclosure, had second thoughts about the size of the ventilation holes, and just set up a new one with smaller holes instead of risking an escape.

Wildlife98

Arachnopeon
Well even still I think the slits look too skinny, I could be wrong though but either way I'm gonna let him grow a little before a rehouse. Thanks for teaching me something super interesting, I didnt know they could smoosh their abdomen like that.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Is it weird that I actually LIKE slings in small cups? There’s something oddly satisfying about having individual little spiders in their own individual little cups.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
At 1.25"-1.5" I've found they can't get through the ventilation slits, they can, however, get through the holes under where the handles attach to the lid at up to around 2" (this is how my B. smithi got out, he left a web trail on his way out).

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I know there's a housing thread, and this has been addressed elsewhere, but just wanted to throw this blurb out in context of the discussion here. I have been using the Hobby Lobby display cases as enclosures for a while and have been satisfied. However, I recently came across "Rubbermaid Brilliance" containers. They are a step up in my opinion. They are crystal clear all around, come in various sizes that facilitate both slings and juvies, terrestrial and arboreal, are much easier to access than the HL cases, have locking tabs, and what is really cool is that they are stackable. So, particularly if T space is at premium, give these things a look.

P.S. I didn't post picks due to the several sizes available and stacking configurations. Plus, I believe the vast majority of you are able to search quite efficiently at your leisure.

Last edited:

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Amac boxes from the container store are also a good choice. 100% clear acrylic boxes that are pretty cheap.
20171116_092246.jpg