Obt
Pterinopelma sazimai
Selenocosmia crassipes
Stromatopelma calceatum
Theraphosa sp
T albo
T vagans
Xenesthis immanis
I feel like these are must haves in the hobby. There might be some I’m missing too. Do you think there are a lot of hobby must haves. Are there any other you think are must haves that are not on this list.

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
H. chilensis definitely used to be a classic (I know they have a different scientific name now but I can't remember).

ButterMan

Arachnosquire
Just pick ts and enjoy them. These are just some that people like, and I don’t blame them

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Maybe add Sericopelma spp., M, robustum, O. philippinus, Ephebopus spp.? (JMO lol)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disagree with most on that list.

Only a handful of species are classic, ie been in the hobby for a long time, and are well known by many if not most people.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A bunch of the species on that list I have absolutely no interest in ever acquiring (P. regalis/P. murinus/The vast majority of Pamphs/etc.) or I have kept already and find to be extremely overrated (C. cyaneopubescens/P. cambridgei/X. immanis/etc.).

H. chilensis definitely used to be a classic (I know they have a different scientific name now but I can't remember).
Homoeomma chilense

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looking back in old, old, OLD pet books on Ts (pre-1990s if possible), the absolute classic icons would be : A. chalcodes, B. hamorii, Avic avic, P. cancerides, T. albo and T. vagans. The Hobby diversified quite a lot by the early 1990s.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I did miss t albo and vagans

I would remove a few species from the list like
Cyrioppagopus sp
Holothele longipes
Kochiana brunnipes
Phormingochilus sp. Rufus
Pseudoclamoris gigas
Tapinauchenius violaceus

Obts, gbbs, pokies, psalmo are classics

Pamphos are not that important but I think you still should at least have one
X immanis is still new so I wouldn’t call it a standerd

Different list not classics but must haves

Last edited:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
There are no "must haves," just ones you want and ones you don't. For example, you think that there are 4 aphonopelma species you must have, while I'd be content never owning one. And I think the genic fills the need for a n. chromatus. And who needs a s. cal when you have an H. mac? Its all personal preference.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Iconic T.'s is so subjective. People can align iconic to classics or staples in the hobby. This is going to be subjective to most people.

But where are the pet rock Grammostolas? G. rosea/porteri/etc.???? They are like the true iconic tarantulas in the hobby for a long time even now.

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
None are "must have". All are beautiful.

Keep the ones that you are able to keep, feel/are safe to keep and want to keep.

Not preaching here - and I have to remind myself that these are living creatures not Pokemon - I feel we have to fight that 'gotta catch 'em all' mentality.

Wayne

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Looking back in old, old, OLD pet books on Ts (pre-1990s if possible), the absolute classic icons would be : A. chalcodes, B. hamorii, Avic avic, P. cancerides, T. albo and T. vagans. The Hobby diversified quite a lot by the early 1990s.
Yes, in the 90s in Europe (B) T. vagans was everywhere, second place was B. smithi but also T. (le)blondi(i)...

Last edited:

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I think that the term 'must have' is ambiguous. Are you saying that people must keep them? Or simply that we currently have so many beautiful and fascinating Ts available in the hobby?
No I don’t think you have to have them I just feel like there the more popular sp