Too many flies?

5dice

Arachnopeon
I ended up dropping a few too many flightless fruit flies into my 3/8" slings enclosure. He happily eats. Took one right off the bat. Wanted two or three but have about 10. Should I just leave them be? Catching them I think endangers the T.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Perhaps get the sling out and into a vial if you must. Or just leave them they'll most likely be consumed.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Use waxworms and calciworms instead. Full of protein and nutrriens They wil grow pronto :D

Last edited:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Fruit flies aren't predatory so they wont nibble at the T. so as long as your tarantula isn't in premolt then I wouldn't worry about it.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
The FFFs will likely just climb out if you leave the lid off for a few minutes. If they don't, meh. They'll get ate or die. However, they might mold after they die off, so watch for that.

For tiny slings, I tend to cut up mealworms or crush the heads of pinhead roaches and just let the slings scavenge. But by "tiny" I mean 1/8." Anything larger gets live pinhead roaches. I only do cut up mealworms if I'm out of small enough live feeders.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
ahah I do same when I use the phone aja.

I thought maybe you had knowledge of them being harmful maybe or some reason like that and I wanted to know. I always use them for my smaller slings and amputees as seem to fix them right up quick :D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have accidentally dropped a bootload of fruit flies into a sling enclosure... it isn't worrisome :)

5dice

Arachnopeon
Seemed to do no harm. Today they are all gone?! And T seems fat and happy.

cold blood

Staff member
1 fly is 1 fly too many when it comes to Ts IMO.
+1

I don't understand why people would deal with these little pain in the butt, nutritionally deficient fruit flies in the first place. Literally, everything else is easier and better.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
+1

I don't understand why people would deal with these little pain in the butt, nutritionally deficient fruit flies in the first place. Literally, everything else is easier and better.
I think it has a lot to do with people not knowing any better. When I first got some slings I bought some from an online vendor because I was told that's what slings eat. Later once I learned pre killed prey was a thing I didn't even finish the ones I had left.

Estein

Arachnoknight
1 fly is 1 fly too many when it comes to Ts IMO.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Like @Trenor , I also bought fruit flies for my first sling because that's just what I had been told (those internet references just looked so darn credible). When I stopped using them, I hadn't even learned yet that they weren't very nutritious--I was just sick of dealing with the things.

OP, I throw in a mealworm with a crushed head or a piece of a mealworm. Mealworms are so easy to keep and clean up after--I love those guys, and so do my Ts. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never saw the point of feeding a T flies esp as they spend most of their time in the air. Clearly not a major prey item relative to other critters IMO.