Too Humid for Centipedes?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got Ethmostigmus trigonopodus and an Alipes sp. for my birthday, but I cant seem too get the humidity below 80% due to the low ventilation in thier enclosures. Will this cause any problems, or is it nothing to worry about?

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Foot-rot / black fungus

Usually this fungus infection (? Mycosis fungoides ?) is caused by keeping the Scolopendrid too long in wet-conditions. The Scolopendrids start to show black spots, mainly on legs, antennae segments.Sometimes total segments of legs or antennae will disappear caused by Fungi.

I keep mine at about 70%,when i kept him at 80% or higher i had this problem...to remedy i kept humidity around 55 or 60 for a few months with a constantly full water dish...It stopped progressing and after the next molt he was perfect...Only problem was i wasnt able to get the substrate moist again so i had to change it.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If that's the case, I'll only have to mist every week or more! I'll see what else can do to get it lowered. Thanks for the advice.

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi, tyrel.. as for me.. i lost my 10.5cm malaysian cherry red(Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani) because of mites. they got increased as many as countless for short time in wet-condition. -_-;

and i heard keeping a pede in wet condition(too much humidity) for long time might cause the infection of such fungus. so you know what most of my substrate for pedes are... there is no problem these days.

take care.. have a nice day..

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Tyrel,
Try adding a few small ventilation holes (depending ont he container I often use a thumb tack to punch holes) and that should help. I've found that my Ailpes do better with a bit lower humidity than my other species. Just as long as they have some sort of water dish as you're working on bringing down the humidity, you shouldn't have any problems!

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Tyrel,
Try adding a few small ventilation holes (depending ont he container I often use a thumb tack to punch holes) and that should help. I've found that my Ailpes do better with a bit lower humidity than my other species. Just as long as they have some sort of water dish as you're working on bringing down the humidity, you shouldn't have any problems!
That might be a problem with the tanks I'm using. They have glass lids. I suppose I could drill more holes in the plastic rim around the top though.

I'll try just using a water dish with no misting first. Hopefully the combination of a water dish and low ventilation will keep the humidity high enough. I'll set up an empty spare tank and see how it goes.