too high temperatures?

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi, i have a ceramic heatlamp aimed at my scorpion shelf...
with the rising spring temperatures, i discovered yesterday that the center of this shelf is rising to nearly 95*F / 35*C during the day. is this ok as long as they have a night time temperature of no more than 80*F / 25*C for 12 hours each day, and assuming the scorps are well hydrated (according to the needs of each species). i guess worth mentioning, the ones in that really hot zone are desert species... any thoughts or opinions are welcome!

thanks! :D
- munis

Last edited:

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it's not such a problem as long as the scorpion can avoid this heat if it wants to. Maybe you should also temperature the burrow itself. I think a global temp of 35 degrees and night temps of 25 degrees all year round is too much, even for many desert-species, but their is always some variation in outside temps, well depending on where you live...

I think these ceramic lamps have a rather focused beam (?..) so maybe the scorpion can avoid it..

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say a tad too high. But thats not an absolute anwser. I don't feel comfortable above 90.For days I like 85-87 and nights 78-79 ish... thats my preference. I have a hard time with controlled temps though, I live in a small condo with only one heating zone.