Too active ?

EthanHBee

Arachnopeon
Hi i’m new to the hobby and i just purchased my first Aphonoplema Chalcodes, i’m keeping her in a 10 gal w about 5 inches of coco fiber substrate, she is very active and is non stop moving around the enclosure, i don’t know if that means anything bad or if she’s fine, the temp is in between 70-80, the coco fiber isn’t dry, it’s all damp, i don’t know if that could be the problem or not but yea, please help !i’m overthinking!

Hannahs Herps

Arachnopeon
Could just be exploring the new enclosure.

How large is the spider? Damp substrate isn't necessary for these guys past the sling stage

EthanHBee

Arachnopeon
Hi i’m new to the hobby and i just purchased my first Aphonoplema Chalcodes, i’m keeping her in a 10 gal w about 5 inches of coco fiber substrate, she is very active and is non stop moving around the enclosure, i don’t know if that means anything bad or if she’s fine, the temp is in between 70-80, the coco fiber isn’t dry, it’s all damp, i don’t know if that could be the problem or not but yea, please help !i’m overthinking!
Could just be exploring the new enclosure.

How large is the spider? Damp substrate isn't necessary for these guys past the sling stage
he or she is about 3.5- 4 inches, i posted the photos under my original post

Give us some pictures to take look.
Give us some pictures to take look.
i just did it’s under my original post please take a look

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Hannahs Herps

Arachnopeon
he or she is about 3.5- 4 inches, i posted the photos under my original post
At that size, it's better to keep them on dry substrate with a water bowl. This is a desert species.

I would chalk that behaviour up to just a new environment. I've noticed, in my own experience, that Ts go one of 2 ways when rehoused. They curl up and hide for a while, orbthey go out an explorer. I wouldn't be concerned unless this behaviour continues for a long period of time

cold blood

Staff member
First, add more substrate....just to reduce the fall risk a little more.

Next, the moss...looks cool and all, but its gotta go. Moisture retention is why one would use moss, this works against how you want a chalcodes kept. Dry moss is one thing, an indefinite hiding place for feeders. Make your ability to find missing feeders and her ability to hunt them both easier by removing the moss and keeping the floor pretty clear of debris. Otherwise, the enclosure looks good, just a bit large.

Roaming is often part of the acclimation process, especially till the sub dries out. Its not a concern as long as the fall risk is taken care of.

boina

Lady of the mites
Damp substrate may be the reason for it moving around so much. This is a desert species. They don't like moist substrate and it may be trying to find a dryer place.

EthanHBee

Arachnopeon
First, add more substrate....just to reduce the fall risk a little more.

Next, the moss...looks cool and all, but its gotta go. Moisture retention is why one would use moss, this works against how you want a chalcodes kept. Dry moss is one thing, an indefinite hiding place for feeders. Make your ability to find missing feeders and her ability to hunt them both easier by removing the moss and keeping the floor pretty clear of debris. Otherwise, the enclosure looks good, just a bit large.

Roaming is often part of the acclimation process, especially till the sub dries out. Its not a concern as long as the fall risk is taken care of.
Thank you ! she’s getting all new substrate dry substrate that will be built up higher, the moss is gone, thank you for the help ! btw is peat moss recommend as well ?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you ! she’s getting all new substrate dry substrate that will be built up higher, the moss is gone, thank you for the help ! btw is peat moss recommend as well ?
Not for these. Just use coco fiber or plain top soil