Tonkinbolus dollfusi gender determination

keks

Arachnobaron
Can anybody here tell me, when T. dollfusi will be adult?
Both of mine have actually ~ 9 cm (3,5"). I put one of them in a cricket box today, but for me it is impossible so see ANYTHING :meh: . And holding the cricket box with one hand, and make pics with the phone in the other ... omg. I have some pics, but they are terrible. I post them, when it is necessary :rolleyes:, but I can't see there anything too.
I didn't want to annoy it too much, so I gave it back into the enclosure. Maybe it is too young for gender determinating?
Thanks for help :).
(I have the German Edition of Millipedes, but it can't help me too. )

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I just read T. dollfusi entries in the book you have and also Orin McMonigle's book. Orin's says they grow fast and reach maturity in 30 months. Neither entry said how long they get but both warned against temperature fluctuations. They need between 72° and 82° No higher!

Good luck. Maybe someone else will know how long they get.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yes, this entries are not the greatest help ^^.
I know that they are sensitive to temperature fluctuations. This time I have 78 to 80 degrees in my flat, would be warm enough for me too :/. Joke.

Thank you, by now they are ok. And they eat cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and champignons like there is no tomorrow, and fishfood and eggshells. And of course the leaves, rotten wood, and the soil from the wood. I can't see any denial of food, they are not picky. I hope, they will do this any longer. If they stay in this way , I want to buy some more in the next month.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
9 cm is large enough to be mature for that species, but some grow larger.

Yes, this entries are not the greatest help ^^.
I know that they are sensitive to temperature fluctuations. This time I have 78 to 80 degrees in my flat, would be warm enough for me too :/. Joke.
I think you may be missing the point.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Congratulations you have mature millipedes!

Now to determine gender. :rolleyes: If I were to guess, maybe you don't have male and female? When I struggle to determine gender, I usually realize I am looking at females when there is nothing to see. Also, most species have a little difference in size. I think you said both are the same size. Hopefully I am guessing wrongly and you have male and female.

We are lucky to have both aforementioned books. I have read both cover to cover many times. I like the way Orin describes steps to maturity and length of time to get there. I also appreciate reading his first hand experiences keeping and breeding. Sigling describes habitat; I like that, too. I currently keep species in neither book and it is too much trial and error.

Anyway, fingers crossed you have male and female! :embarrassed:

keks

Arachnobaron
Congratulations you have mature millipedes!

Now to determine gender. :rolleyes: If I were to guess, maybe you don't have male and female? When I struggle to determine gender, I usually realize I am looking at females when there is nothing to see. Also, most species have a little difference in size. I think you said both are the same size. Hopefully I am guessing wrongly and you have male and female.

We are lucky to have both aforementioned books. I have read both cover to cover many times. I like the way Orin describes steps to maturity and length of time to get there. I also appreciate reading his first hand experiences keeping and breeding. Sigling describes habitat; I like that, too. I currently keep species in neither book and it is too much trial and error.

Anyway, fingers crossed you have male and female! :embarrassed:
Sadly there is almost always only one of the two on the surface. When I can see both of them, I have no time to pick them out :confused:. But ok.
I know now that they are matured, so I should see it, thanks @Elytra and Antenna once more.
I couldn't see anything, because this millipede was running fast in the cricket box, and it was impossible to make a clear pic. But I can wait. Maybe next time I try to get both hands free for making pictures ^^. When both dollfusi look the same, I try to get some more (that look different to mine :D ).

The book is new, I got it this week. I had not much time to read. Tomorrow I can read again.

Thank you for crossing your fingers, I hope it too. I know, the babies are difficult to grow up. They are a challenge.

keks

Arachnobaron
I got 2 T. dollfusi too, now I have four of them. I could make a terrible pic of the new ones belly :bag: .

comp_120170607_182655.jpg

I read, that they are most invisible, but I can see them often on the surface.