Tongs

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone use tongs to grab their scorpions by the tail to move them around when say like cleaning and stuff? I bought a plastic pair today and was wondering if this might hurt them or if it is ok.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I understand that is the preferred method, usually people wrap the ends in something like gauze or rubber tubing.

A tail grab with your finger might just end up with a scorpion tagging you, wiggling free, or bending back on themselves and pinching you.

Thaedion. :p

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use two methods, depending on the scorpion. Some scorpions will absolutley flip out if you tail them.

Both methods explained here

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried that method with the emps at the store. They all spaz. One grabbed my really heavy keys when I tailed him and wouldn't let go and went as far as taking it with him as I switched his habitat. {D

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I either grab them by the tail softly but always firmly with my forceps which came with removable soft rubber tips.

Or I chase them into cup with my forceps, pretty easy to manipulate the scorps and send them scurrying into the direction one likes.

I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to tail an Androctonus or Leiurus with their fingers but sometimes when I fail to hyperextend them in suspension with my forceps they'll twist around and grab hold of my forceps. BUT, both genera will not let go of my forceps UNTIL they have at least delivered one sting maybe more. And they can cling for what seems minutes at a time.

I am pretty sure if I really set my mind to it, I can snatch that fifth metasoma segment and immobilize the telson but also know the scorpion will grab a hold of me in return. Well suffice to say, it is a dead scorpion or there is going to be a tail amputation.

But I'd NEVER EVER attempt to do something so foolish and suicidal. Sorry for the dramatic presentation of theory worked into known proven fact. ;)

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had scorpions pinch the tongs and wiggle their tail free and climb up the tongs with just their claws. That's a scary moment. I suggest gently pushing them into a container.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've got some 10" tweesers but i can't get anything to cover the tips with.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah mine are plastic and don't have rubber tips. I guess I just won't squeeze the crap outta them.

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only use the forceps with small scorps (Centruroides sp., Lychas, Uroctonus, etc.), to move my large scorps I just scoop them into a deli cup. The weight of larger scorps may also damage the metasoma if they are "tailed", so be careful.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can you just wrap a small rubber ballon around each tip? or is that just stupid?.{D

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I only use the forceps with small scorps (Centruroides sp., Lychas, Uroctonus, etc.), to move my large scorps I just scoop them into a deli cup. The weight of larger scorps may also damage the metasoma if they are "tailed", so be careful.
What size are we talking?

I have always tailed scorps upwards to Leiurus, Androctonus, Parabuthus, etc. No, noticable damage and once I grasp the metasoma I give the forceps a tiny minute twist clockwise or counterclockwise depending which side I grasp the tail from to keep the scorpion's body extended and suspended. The forceps themselves grasping the anterior and posterior simultaneously. Like, you see many professionals do.

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What size are we talking?

I have always tailed scorps upwards to Leiurus, Androctonus, Parabuthus, etc. No, noticable damage and once I grasp the metasoma I give the forceps a tiny minute twist clockwise or counterclockwise depending which side I grasp the tail from to keep the scorpion's body extended and suspended. The forceps themselves grasping the anterior and posterior simultaneously. Like, you see many professionals do.
I'm talking mostly about Pandinus sp. and Heterometrus sp., or any other species that have a lot of girth and a small weak metasoma.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would a person have to really squeeze hard and actually WANT to damage the tail? It seems they are fairly durable, and simple grasping wouldn't do any damage, or am I wrong?

I better clarify myself so I don't get a bunch of replies with people calling me a moron because they cannot understand what I wrote. I DO NOT want to damage the tail, I am simply wondering if I am paranoid about causing any damage to their tail when using tongs becausee they seem hard to damage, and it seems that you would really have to try hard to damage the tail. I hope that makes sense.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just a firm and secure grip on the scorp.

Very easily maintained with forceps. Because of the length of this instrument you really have to apply alot of excessive pressure to actually crush and mutilate a scorpion's tail.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
can you just wrap a small rubber ballon around each tip? or is that just stupid?.{D
That could work for extra grip.

Here's what I use. 10" forceps, tip inserted in a rubber tube bought from a medical suplies store. This is tube is similar to some aquarium hoses. The pictures would explain more.

As much as possible, I limit tailing techniques to hot scorps. The rest I do the same procedure in Ryan C.'s post.