Tongs and tweezers thread!

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Looking to invest in some good tongs and tweezers this month.

Lets see some pictures of everyones feeding gear!!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I got a couple sets of 12" tongs from ebay for like $1.25 each. also ordered 100 3 ml pipettes for $3. I have a set of dollar store tweezers for head crushing. nothing special. the only negative with the ones I ordered on ebay was it took probably 2 weeks to get here from china. they work quite well though.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I found that a very small pointed tip on the surgical tweezers provides better drop success than the cheap blunt tipped ones because prey tends to cling to a larger tip. The cheap drug store variety didn't work for me. I ordered the ones in this link below from Amazon. They do the job well but I am tired of getting jabbed by that pointed guide on the side that keeps the two sides aligned. I'll probably get bit by a T one of these days and think it was my tweezers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011PM9E4Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I primarily only use two types: the typical 12" forceps and the not-so-typical inverted tweezers.

Inverted tweezers open when pinched and close when released. These are great for feeding slings - grab the roach with the tweezers, and now you can easily open the enclosures without worrying about dropping the prey. If I could find these in a 12" version, my forceps would be gone. Alas, I don't think they exist for a reasonable price.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I use the 10" Zoo Med stainless steel tongs and they've always done a good job for me

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Believe it or not but 90% of time I work with very short tweezers, even in my 'OBT' enclosure. I use 20 cm (IMO the long ones) tongs only few times :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Rebellious thrill seeker.:eek::eek::eek:

I use 10" ones.
Ah ah, you know, one of the reasons is that, if I can, I tend to not move at all the enclosures, and to reduce to minimum the noise. This always worked for me. Therefore, since a lot of my enclosures are on shelves and stuff like that on a height just a bit little than me (I'm 1,85 cm) it's more easy to work with little tongs :-s

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Well,since you asked for pictures,here is all my T crap.
Notice the two magnifying glasses,since I am an old fart,
its tough to find my slings in their deli cups.
Didn't have room on my camera for the flame thrower,hazmat suit and
welders gloves for the Pokes.
seriously,go to amazon and search in the scientific section.neet stuff!

Attachments

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I use 10" or 12" tongs when I need them, like if I need to pull the water dish out of a pokie enclosure. I don't use tongs for feeding anything except my snakes. I catch feeders with a small vial and then drop them in the enclosure.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I primarily only use two types: the typical 12" forceps and the not-so-typical inverted tweezers.

Inverted tweezers open when pinched and close when released. These are great for feeding slings - grab the roach with the tweezers, and now you can easily open the enclosures without worrying about dropping the prey. If I could find these in a 12" version, my forceps would be gone. Alas, I don't think they exist for a reasonable price.
Thanks to you I went out and bought these reverse action tweezers. The price isn't cheap, but the quality on them feels very good. This set is only 4.5", but they are perfect for opening the lid with one hand and dropping in prey with the other hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B8ZYG8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Ah ah, you know, one of the reasons is that, if I can, I tend to not move at all the enclosures, and to reduce to minimum the noise. This always worked for me. Therefore, since a lot of my enclosures are on shelves and stuff like that on a height just a bit little than me (I'm 1,85 cm) it's more easy to work with little tongs :-s
1,85 cm?
Che sei, un insetto? hahahahah

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Normal tools, minus foam brushes (4 cleaning), that I typically use.
The 2 reverse acting are 7" long, Harbor Freight, $6 for the pair. Stainless steel with hardwood handles found in the electrical section. Far right are 18" SS, given to me by a friend.

Attachments