Tong feeding :)

Do you think tong feeding is a bad habit?

• Yes

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Even while I wasn't tong feeding but was doing cage cleanup I had a Pterinochilus murinus climb up my tongs , up my arms and onto my back.

No way would I intentionally put my tongs in a place where it could invite a Tarantula to come running at them

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have. Pulled a C marshalli out of the cage and nearly killed it. Tongfeeding terrestrials is a waste and dangerous if you panic. This was many years ago. Now i tong feed 8" pokies and dont flinch. Its an art in many ways.
I was more so joking about how just downright frightening that can be.
And using tongs in any capacity is very much like an art, whether you are catching crickets with them, doing maintenance ("Which angle would allow me to grab the most boluses before it is sufficiently roused to grab them..."), or tong feeding as you said.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I'll share some personal thoughts/experiences.

I don't believe tong feeding is harmful to the T at all. I usually use a tong to put their preys on their enclosure, sometimes, one or another individual don't get the prey so I grab it with the tong again and come near the spider, if it catches, ok. If don't, I take the food out. I also don't believe if the spider bite the tong, their fangs will brake, at least not so easily.

My concern is with thin shaped tongs, so I always use a "round edge" one. Also, I when I have to put the prey near the spider, I always try to grab it by the head, or the "butt", but not in the middle.

Lastly, about the fangs, if the spider molted recently, I don't even get near it with a tong. Lol.

So, I do believe if you grab a prey and keep rubbing towards the face of the spider when it clearly dont want to eat it, is when accidents like "the spider run on the tong" can happen. Thats why I made the "tong-poke joke" before.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Whats with the paranoia around tongs? Is there anyone who actually has a first hand account of something bad happening?
I think the whole "tarantula breaking its fangs on the tongs" thing is probably a myth as fangs are very difficult to break (the only tarantulas I've had break fangs did so trying to chew through KK/Breeder Box vents), I've actually had tarantulas (P. ecclesiasticus/E. cyanognathus) run up the tweezers and onto my hand so that one is definitely not nonsense.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I think the whole "tarantula breaking its fangs on the tongs" thing is probably a myth as fangs are very difficult to break (the only tarantulas I've had break fangs did so trying to chew through KK/Breeder Box vents), I've actually had tarantulas (P. ecclesiasticus/E. cyanognathus) run up the tweezers and onto my hand so that one is definitely not nonsense.
I believe they can break their fangs in case they bite a tong, if people poke them right before they molt or a few days after they molt. Cant think of other reason than that when it comes to the "tongs x fangs" battle. Lol.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Can't think of 1 reason why it would be necessary. Just so many better options.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tongs serve as a launch pad for the T- case closed

Chipped fangs- people have reported this happening in their care, not a myth.

I don't see the need myself. They aren't being tong fed in the wild!!!

Even while I wasn't tong feeding but was doing cage cleanup I had a Pterinochilus murinus climb up my tongs , up my arms and onto my back.

No way would I intentionally put my tongs in a place where it could invite a Tarantula to come running at them
Similar- for me it was chopstick, moving some plastic plants, out popped my AF A. minatrix - she did a performance worthy of Cirque du Soleil, and ran back in when done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I only tong feed my C. versicolor and never had a problem. It always gently takes the prey. I have the majority of the prey exposed to it. I do this mainly with dubia roaches for obvious reasons.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
i personally hate crushing heads, i feel way to bad doing that
I can completely understand this however the feeder will inevitably die a rather nasty and slow death at the hands of an eight legged creature many times it’s size. At least head crushing ensures your pets’ll eat safely.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
My arboreals climb down and grab the meal worms. When I drop them in sometimes they snatch them. It is not always immediate. I one sat watching for about 20 mins for my one pokie to locate one, but it is interesting to watch as they locate them from their small movements. I have seen them running up tongs so I see that in itself as risky.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I can completely understand this however the feeder will inevitably die a rather nasty and slow death at the hands of an eight legged creature many times it’s size. At least head crushing ensures your pets’ll eat safely.
And it does make a rather satisfying sound......

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
@ColeopteraC

I've always considered head crushing as a reason for them not to burrow. Why do you think it makes for safer feeding? Incase they're in premolt?

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I often times drop feeders through a 5mm vent hole, but if im using superworms there's no way im letting them free roam and i will tong feed them to a T. Other occasions for tong feeling include if im using a recently deceased cricket for a trapdoor, which requires gently dragging it around outside the burrow

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Some search results for you...

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/dangers-of-tong-feeding.324522/

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/a-avic-wont-let-go-of-tongs-during-feeding.324508/

There are others I can find later, if you're interested in doing some reading....
Tong feeding terrestrials is a waste and i think perhaps actually dangerous for their fangs. Ive tong fed dozens of arboreals of all sizes for half a decade now and never had even the slightest fang damage.

Takes practice, but getting the tongs away from a hungry spider isnt very hard. A gentle blow almost always moves them away.

Thank you for finding some accounts instead of just giving an opinion.

Can't think of 1 reason why it would be necessary. Just so many better options.
Not sure if you bothered reading my reasons why, but ill repeat them again. I have access only to superworms. I have tall enclosures. I want my animals to eat and not starve until i buy crickets. Tong feeding saves tons of time, frustration, and ive never had issues in my years and years of doing it.

Tongs serve as a launch pad for the T- case closed

Chipped fangs- people have reported this happening in their care, not a myth.

I don't see the need myself. They aren't being tong fed in the wild!!!

Similar- for me it was chopstick, moving some plastic plants, out popped my AF A. minatrix - she did a performance worthy of Cirque du Soleil, and ran back in when done.
Never had that launch pad experience im afraid. I dont poke them with the tongs and instead slowly move the worm towards them. They usually either run or come get it themselves.

Ive seen one account of an LP thus far. No arboreals as of yet.

See my message above for my reasons.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Not sure if you bothered reading my reasons why, but ill repeat them again. I have access only to superworms. I have tall enclosures. I want my animals to eat and not starve until i buy crickets. Tong feeding saves tons of time, frustration, and ive never had issues in my years and years of doing it.

Never had that launch pad experience im afraid. I dont poke them with the tongs and instead slowly move the worm towards them. They usually either run or come get it themselves.

Ive seen one account of an LP thus far. No arboreals as of yet.

See my message above for my reasons.
I did read that. Just don't understand why you think that's your only option.

Crush head of superworm..gently place on ledge of cork tube, webbing, wherever the spider is...works like a charm!

I do the same thing for my fossorials that build furrows.

Zero need to use tongs other then as a tool to place it where you want.

People drink and drive their whole lives and never get caught or hurt anyone. Still not smart.

Last edited:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
It is difficult with C Versi's and Avics though when feeding mealworms as you get some that will not go to ground, and seem totally unaware that there is a worm with a crushed head flopping weakly on the substrate, after dropping off the ledge/leaf/web (they ALWAYS drop off, so annoying).

Currently my C versi sling who I know is hungry, has not even appeared to notice the mealworm I placed on the webbing last night (on the edge of the tube). Tonight, I'll try leaving the mworms head uncrushed (so it wriggles more) and placing enclosure on its side to feed. But if that doesn't work, I will resort to tong feeding.

This is only an issue I'm having with this sling, where my crickets are too large but I do have small enough mealworms. When I get smaller crickets I can let it hunt, as they will move enough to elicit a feeding response.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I did read that. Just don't understand why you think that's your only option.

Crush head of superworm..gently place on ledge of cork tube, webbing, wherever the spider is...works like a charm!

I do the same thing for my fossorials that build furrows.

Zero need to use tongs other then as a tool to place it where you want.

People drink and drive their whole lives and never get caught or hurt anyone. Still not smart.
Never had much luck prekilling superworms for adult Poecilotheria. So yes, tong feeding is the most viable option.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Never had much luck prekilling superworms for adult Poecilotheria. So yes, tong feeding is the most viable option.
Totally agree, I have left pre-killed for my pokies on numerous occasions and I have not had luck at all. Whether it be my elaborate setups or just my pokies being unaware I have no clue. I will say however when they were smaller pre-killed was a very viable option.

Like I said I do not prefer tong feeding but that is better than the alternative of digging for feeders in the enclosures the whole time.

Also if you really are scared of getting tagged by your T you could take a smoothie cup lid, put your tongs through the hole meant for the straw and viola you have a guard :rofl: I know this is a grey area with people having strong opinions on the matter, but we aren't all in the same circumstances. :)