Tong feeding :)

Do you think tong feeding is a bad habit?

• Yes

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Also, in this hobby, not always the majority is right. There are tons on information on the internet (and even in here) that is old, outdated and most people still believe it's the right thing, or the absolute true.

What I learned in all these years is that information changes all the time, and we need to constantly adapt to it.
Very much this ^. The purpose of Arachnoboards is so that people can discuss the hobby and figure out what works best for them and the creatures in their care.

Because the boards are a popularity contest and not conforming to everyone's ideas will make you a bad keeper :sleepy:
:rofl: While I know you meant this as a joke, every joke has a little bit of truth in it. This one, unfortunately, has possibly a little more than others. Sadly, for the internet, all online communities have their cliques, and some of them are VERY vocal in their opinions. Not conforming doesn't make you a bad keeper, but disregarding reputable advice/reasoning simply to not conform doesn't make you a good keeper either. (Not saying this is the case in this current discussion.) For every person saying "You're wrong", there may be five people remaining silent that agree with your statement.

So did the 3 brilliant members I named earlier.

The only people coming here without good reasoning are those voting "No".....read @viper69 @moricollins @DaveM comments. They all gave great indisputable reasons very early in this thread on why its bad! It should have ended there.

If you don't trust scientists and people in the hobby longer than you've been alive (and possibly the 3 most respected people on this board)...i don't have anything else to tell you.
You paint with a very broad brush. NO ONE is infallible and NO REASON is indisputable. I'm 99.9% certain that the three users you mentioned will agree with me. I'm also 99.9% certain that if they don't agree with me that I may as well shut down the boards since they apparently have all the answers and experience that anyone will ever need. (No offense intended guys, you know we love you all. :) )

Being a scientist and/or being in the hobby for a long time doesn't automatically impart some mythical tarantula related omniscience.

To be clear, Old Timer, is a function of how long one has been an AB board member- nothing more. It’s not a sign of age, wisdom, nor knowledge.
Actually the Old Timer tag is not based on posting number. It is based on length of time as an AB member, nothing more.

If it was based on post number @cold blood would be one and he is not, yet.
Close, but not exactly right ;)

Old Timer (and active member) are user promotions. The "Old Timer" promotion was created back during a software upgrade in either 2011 or 2015 (I forget which) to retain certain site functionality that is no longer offered as standard. The criteria to get promoted to Old Timer is you must be a member for 10 years AND have a post count of at least 50 posts. Users that are members of groups that have more expansive permissions than "Old Timer" (staff, arachnosupporters, etc.) are not eligible to be promoted to "Old Timer". @cold blood wouldn't be an "Old Timer" for two reasons:
  1. He's a Mod.
  2. He hasn't been a member for 10 years.
A topic like this is obviously going to elicit strong opinions on both sides. All the more reason to discuss such, to hear both views. I'd hate to think there were questions people dare not ask, due to fear of being verbally abused and ridiculed.

As long as things are kept civil, people can be passionate about their views without being insulting, and use it as a opportunity to educate.
What @Jess S said ^^

If there's only one right answer to any question, this site has no purpose as there would be no need for discussion. "Science" is constantly evolving based upon measurable data. Users experiences are that data. Just because something did not work for you doesn't not automatically mean that it won't be successful for someone else. We're here to discuss those experiences and get to the underlying "science" behind them.

I've had very negative experiences on other sites, where I'm been name called, belittled and attacked just for a simple viewpoint that the individual took issue with. And not even a controversial viewpoint either. Just mentioning it, as stuff like that reflects badly not only on the person doing it, but the site for allowing that pattern of behaviour.
While I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experiences elsewhere, I'm quite glad that they weren't here. I do have to ask if you reported the attacks to the site's staff? I know, at least on AB, that we simply cannot be everywhere and read every post. We rely on users reporting content that goes against our Terms and Rules and investigate every report.

I tried the multi quote stuff it did not work. I am to lazy to paste and copy.
I really need to stop being too lazy and write up a tutorial on "reply" and "multi-quote". ;)

On the topic of "Tong Feeding":

It is not a good or bad idea, it is merely an idea that may, or may not, have negative consequences (much like handling).
  • Have I tong fed? Yes, many times.
  • Have I had a T break it's fangs on the tongs? No, but I feel the potential is there. Just like you can drop a phone 20 times without cracking the screen, and shatter it on the 21st.
  • Have I had a T run up the tongs? Yes, a P. ornata. It was up the tongs and onto my shoulder in a heartbeat. It then proceeded to jump to the counter and then to the floor. I was very luckily able to contain it and that it was not harmed in any of it's leaps of faith.
If it works for you, do it. Just understand that there is the potential for negative consequences to you and the T (and expect a lot of "I told you so."'s if any of them come to pass ;) )

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very much this ^. The purpose of Arachnoboards is so that people can discuss the hobby and figure out what works best for them and the creatures in their care.

:rofl: While I know you meant this as a joke, every joke has a little bit of truth in it. This one, unfortunately, has possibly a little more than others. Sadly, for the internet, all online communities have their cliques, and some of them are VERY vocal in their opinions. Not conforming doesn't make you a bad keeper, but disregarding reputable advice/reasoning simply to not conform doesn't make you a good keeper either. (Not saying this is the case in this current discussion.) For every person saying "You're wrong", there may be five people remaining silent that agree with your statement.

You paint with a very broad brush. NO ONE is infallible and NO REASON is indisputable. I'm 99.9% certain that the three users you mentioned will agree with me. I'm also 99.9% certain that if they don't agree with me that I may as well shut down the boards since they apparently have all the answers and experience that anyone will ever need. (No offense intended guys, you know we love you all. :) )

Being a scientist and/or being in the hobby for a long time doesn't automatically impart some mythical tarantula related omniscience.

Close, but not exactly right ;)

Old Timer (and active member) are user promotions. The "Old Timer" promotion was created back during a software upgrade in either 2011 or 2015 (I forget which) to retain certain site functionality that is no longer offered as standard. The criteria to get promoted to Old Timer is you must be a member for 10 years AND have a post count of at least 50 posts. Users that are members of groups that have more expansive permissions than "Old Timer" (staff, arachnosupporters, etc.) are not eligible to be promoted to "Old Timer". @cold blood wouldn't be an "Old Timer" for two reasons:
  1. He's a Mod.
  2. He hasn't been a member for 10 years.

What @Jess S said ^^

If there's only one right answer to any question, this site has no purpose as there would be no need for discussion. "Science" is constantly evolving based upon measurable data. Users experiences are that data. Just because something did not work for you doesn't not automatically mean that it won't be successful for someone else. We're here to discuss those experiences and get to the underlying "science" behind them.

While I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experiences elsewhere, I'm quite glad that they weren't here. I do have to ask if you reported the attacks to the site's staff? I know, at least on AB, that we simply cannot be everywhere and read every post. We rely on users reporting content that goes against our Terms and Rules and investigate every report.

I really need to stop being too lazy and write up a tutorial on "reply" and "multi-quote". ;)

On the topic of "Tong Feeding":

It is not a good or bad idea, it is merely an idea that may, or may not, have negative consequences (much like handling).
  • Have I tong fed? Yes, many times.
  • Have I had a T break it's fangs on the tongs? No, but I feel the potential is there. Just like you can drop a phone 20 times without cracking the screen, and shatter it on the 21st.
  • Have I had a T run up the tongs? Yes, a P. ornata. It was up the tongs and onto my shoulder in a heartbeat. It then proceeded to jump to the counter and then to the floor. I was very luckily able to contain it and that it was not harmed in any of it's leaps of faith.
If it works for you, do it. Just understand that there is the potential for negative consequences to you and the T (and expect a lot of "I told you so."'s if any of them come to pass ;) )
Once again I’m fallible- thought for sure it was 10 yrs only re old timer :lol:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Certainly not that, I’m not old.

At that point I had over 500 posts so I forgot that part.
I've always wondered how old you were :confused: My guess would be between 24 and 30. . .I believe once I figure it out you should order me a T this side :lol:

I read some of your old posts by coincidence from 2017 on your 2 P. Murinus that you got that you offered to a friend and he/she refused. I was wondering if you still have them and if you maybe have some updated photos?

We have so many baboons here and we aren't allowed to keep them. I was refused a license last year for them :grumpy:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always wondered how old you were :confused: My guess would be between 24 and 30. . .I believe once I figure it out you should order me a T this side :lol:

I read some of your old posts by coincidence from 2017 on your 2 P. Murinus that you got that you offered to a friend and he/she refused. I was wondering if you still have them and if you maybe have some updated photos?

We have so many baboons here and we aren't allowed to keep them. I was refused a license last year for them :grumpy:
I’d like to see that post- doesn’t like mine

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
Tong feeding is literally put the prey near the spider, or even in their mouth.

Don't know how to multi quote, the times I did, it was lucky, I only know how to quote the whole answer, answering:

1) Totally agreed.
2) Imo, they are still on advanced level.
3) I believe this one wasnt for me, in my personal experience, I don't believe it is necessary, though.
4) Hand feed, on the other hand, is something I'll always disagree.
5) I was trying to be quiet, just posting pictures in here and making punctual comments, but ended up in this snow ball.

Lastly, agree on the whole, "what works to someone, wont necessarily will work to other one."
Couldnt state that any better truthfully, Just do what works for you! Its called getting along with your creepy crawlers personality. Its kinda scary the tought of a tarantula running up a pair of 18 inch tongs and leaping towards your face with fangs out. (Insert your imagination here) . =)

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I’d like to see that post- doesn’t like mine
I either have RCFs or DCFs. but as slings hah. They are tiny and just as crazy as my OBT tens of years ago.

I read it this morning when I wanted to see what difference there was between the hobby T's in regards to color variants and those in the wild if any. Came across your post and now I would like to know if you still have them and if you ever confirmed what variant they were and if you would make the effort to post some updated pictures.

This is only for my own curiosity and not really important so don't feel obligated, I won't take any offense :)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

Are you daring to imply that I've been wrong before? I mean, it has happened once or twice.

I did recently accidentally spread white springtails into one of my pink springtail colonies :mad: , I need to follow my own rules and clean utensils between different enclosures where the inhabitants are likely to spread.

No one here has ALL the answers. We're all learning as we go on.

Nevermore Exotics

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter +
I tong feed a lot of my arboreals since most don't go down to the ground of their enclosure and I feed dubias.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I read it this morning when I wanted to see what difference there was between the hobby T's in regards to color variants and those in the wild if any. Came across your post and now I would like to know if you still have them and if you ever confirmed what variant they were and if you would make the effort to post some updated pictures.

This is only for my own curiosity and not really important so don't feel obligated, I won't take any offense :)
I ended up giving them to another friend.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah that's unfortunate for me. I can't study these even though they are a local species :grumpy:
I know, there’s another SA member who told me all about the permits for ownership, breeding etc- it was easier for me to own I mira and other Africans than it was for him!

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I know, there’s another SA member who told me all about the permits for ownership, breeding etc- it was easier for me to own I mira and other Africans than it was for him!
Exactly right, you have a better chance of shipping the very T's I can find in a field 100m away from me to you than I have of keeping those same T's :rolleyes: I am jealous I'll admit. I too ka chance a while back for a permit but the costs and the amount of effort for them to just deny you is too much.

I personally know many keepers here who do have them but for me losing my entire collection vs keeping a certain T is a no brainer.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I don't tong feed. Never thought about it. I don't feed my arboreals dubias because the tend burrow and not be eaten. I put multiple crickets in at a time and invariably one climbs right into, toward their hide. If they are starving they will look for prey in their enclosures. I have never had any issues with underfed arboreals. There are too many stories of Ts running up the tongs and onto the keeper and I would be too concerned with fang damage if the T slightly misses and bites the tong. It isn't a natural behavior and I see very little reward and lots of risk

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I don't tong feed. Never thought about it. I don't feed my arboreals dubias because the tend burrow and not be eaten. I put multiple crickets in at a time and invariably one climbs right into, toward their hide. If they are starving they will look for prey in their enclosures. I have never had any issues with underfed arboreals. There are too many stories of Ts running up the tongs and onto the keeper and I would be too concerned with fang damage if the T slightly misses and bites the tong. It isn't a natural behavior and I see very little reward and lots of risk
True true. I am on the same boat as you but to please the rest of the community who are so critical about whos right and whos in the wrong. They have tongs with rubber tips... yo i had the worst day on this board with certain ppl here. Smh... but anyways had to get that off my chest...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
True true. I am on the same boat as you but to please the rest of the community who are so critical about whos right and whos in the wrong. They have tongs with rubber tips... yo i had the worst day on this board with certain ppl here. Smh... but anyways had to get that off my chest...
yeah, the whole who's right-who's wrong is what drove me away for a while. I have been keeping Ts for over a decade and work with a reputable dealer. I really don't want to be lectured by somebody who's been keeping Ts for a year and is now an internet expert

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
yeah, the whole who's right-who's wrong is what drove me away for a while. I have been keeping Ts for over a decade and work with a reputable dealer. I really don't want to be lectured by somebody who's been keeping Ts for a year and is now an internet expert
Exactly! I have 9 years with tarantulas. Im over here arguing with some individual about a horizontal line and a vertical line. Its sad how those certain people just cant give the advise they wish and then leave it be. They feel compelled to argue about crap

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
and if they live in SoCal and attend shows, I, or my daughter, have probably met them and possibly sold them a T

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Exactly! I have 9 years with tarantulas. Im over here arguing with some individual about a horizontal line and a vertical line. Its sad how those certain people just cant give the advise they wish and then leave it be. They feel compelled to argue about b.s.
Sad to see people can't use common sense to understand a simple concept and then whine, whine, whine about having someone explain it to them.