Tong feeding :)

Do you think tong feeding is a bad habit?

• Yes

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Having a wiggling worm and holding it with a piece of metal until a spider attacks it is not going to illcit the same response as cleaning a tank with a tong. Is that a joke?

Spiders dont get tong fed in the wild. They sure as heck don't need to be in a small enclosure.

Case closed.
Well I am sure because I am not one of your idols or long time members on here my experience won't count for anything but my T's have only ever attacked the tongs and ran up the tongs while I was cleaning my enclosure :)

They do not get tong fed in the wild but they also do not get trapped in small enclosures with feeders.

Like I said, I will refrain from replying to your posts or quoting you since it seems we clash every time :) All the best

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Is it just me or do these kinds of disagreements pop up more frequently now. I think i have seen multible these past 2 months that seemed like personal desputes more so than constructive sharing of experiences.

As a fairly new keeper i try to soak up much of the wisdome some of the great minds here share with us, but in these kinds of situations i realise it might acctualy be more helpful to leave opinions out of it and share only experiences that way we will get a much clearer picture of the actual danger tong feeding poses. Some of you did that and it was great. I realise my earlyer posts where of the opinion kind too, i should take my own advice there.

Providing links is great but those in this thred didnt shed very much light on the issue as they talked about possibilities more so than acctual accidents while tongfeeding.

So far we have established that accidents can happen while using tongs in the enclosures but that it is exceedingly rare. One of the links provided another hazzard, were the spider bit the wooden lid and broke of both fangs due to getting stuck in the wood. I imagine metal-meshes pose a similar danger.

I personally will remove a stone in one of my enclosures as i have witnesses my pampho juvenile bite it when it narroly missed a prey item. The sound was quite loud but i have seen no damage to its fangs. Still the way the stone is placed is a hazard so it will go.

I hope we can keep it civil and learn new things from those that deviate from the current "optimal" way of keeping Ts. Good or Bad new information is always good or we would be stuck with some of the most harmful practices ever like keeping Ts on gravel, putting sponges into waterbowls etc. as sad as it is without those T deaths we might be stuck in those malpractices still.

So thank you all for sharing this information with those interested and willing to learn new things.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hahahaha :rofl: nope it was merely a joke :p

That being said, you do get people who just blindly believe whatever a person with a tag like old timer or arachnolord or w/e says.

16 to 32 is incredibly disproportionate?

I didn't make the poll but I can tell that most people disregarded his situation and just polled no.

Anyways I have full confidence in @Venom1080 and like was said this is going nowhere.

Happy keeping :D
Not saying you are the below MB!

To be clear, Old Timer, is a function of how long one has been an AB board member- nothing more. It’s not a sign of age, wisdom, nor knowledge.

There are insecure AB members who have used that tag as a means to insult etc users here, myself included quite recently.

I personally don’t give a crap to such petty insecurities of those people.

Simply put such insecure people haven’t taken the time to read the board or ask questions about the tag they “own”, or have made assumptions. When confronted with info that doesn’t agree with them resort to using old timer as a negative. Someone could be 20 or less with an old timer designation!!

Personally I didn’t even know what it was until my tag turned grey, and I asked MrDeranged- the owner of the board, to inform me.

Do we need MrD to explain the above more thoroughly? I don’t think so he has better AB things to worry about.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Not saying you are the below MB!

To be clear, Old Timer, is a function of how long one has been an AB board member- nothing more. It’s not a sign of age, wisdom, nor knowledge.

There are insecure AB members who have used that tag as a means to insult etc users here, myself included quite recently.

I personally don’t give a crap to such petty insecurities of those people.

Simply put such insecure people haven’t taken the time to read the board or ask questions about the tag they “own”, or have made assumptions. When confronted with info that doesn’t agree with them resort to using old timer as a negative. Someone could be 20 or less with an old timer designation!!

Personally I didn’t even know what it was until my tag turned grey, and I asked MrDeranged- the owner of the board, to inform me.

Do we need MrD to explain the above more thoroughly? I don’t think so he has better AB things to worry about.
Not at all, I was there when you were "insulted" with the person using old timer as a reference to age. The only point I was trying to make is that should I have a tag as mentioned (Not even old timer, anything like arachnoangel, arachnolord, etc) and I tell you your T can fly you shouldn't blindly toss it out of the window.

I have realized though that in this regard some good keepers are for it and some against it and I am on the fence with it's situational.

Anyways have a good day/night oldie :p :troll:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not at all, I was there when you were "insulted" with the person using old timer as a reference to age. The only point I was trying to make is that should I have a tag as mentioned (Not even old timer, anything like arachnoangel, arachnolord, etc) and I tell you your T can fly you shouldn't blindly toss it out of the window.

I have realized though that in this regard some good keepers are for it and some against it and I am on the fence with it's situational.

Anyways have a good day/night oldie :p :troll:
:rofl:

Indeed you were.

Been here a while, no matter what “rule”, wrong or right, the AB membership has come up with, there will always be people who say “no” for the right reasons and/or the wrong reasons.

I haven’t been following this thread completely.

However I’ve never known @Venom1080 to provide bad information.

Do I agree with tong feeding - nope

Do I believe he’s a generally good keeper based on years of comments and some personal conversations- I do

Are we all perfect- no.

Do I hope he changes his feeding, esp with OWs- yes

It may have been mentioned earlier, I saw the feeding video- not a good idea IMO. Venom why don’t you feed large crickets?

I know mealworms are crappy feeders in terms of technique, that’s THE reason I don’t use them as much. If I want to fatten up a T in a shorter span of time then I use them.

They do make your T grow faster as slings compared to crix

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I grab the feeder with the tong and throw it right next to my tarantulas for a takedown, I feed my geckos crickets with a tong and they love to be fed.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight

Indeed you were.

Been here a while, no matter what “rule”, wrong or right, the AB membership has come up with, there will always be people who say “no” for the right reasons and/or the wrong reasons.

Do I believe he’s a generally good keeper based on years of comments and some personal conversations- I do

Are we all perfect- no.

It may have been mentioned earlier, I saw the feeding video- not a good idea IMO. Venom why don’t you feed large crickets?

I know mealworms are crappy feeders in terms of technique, that’s THE reason I don’t use them as much. If I want to fatten up a T in a shorter span of time then I use them.

I agree, I have seen you going against the stream a few times with some other big names on here. For the right reasons like you said, in my opinion anyways. (Big names, old members, special tags etc)

This has run it's coarse though and I only regret that it went as far as it did.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
A topic like this is obviously going to elicit strong opinions on both sides. All the more reason to discuss such, to hear both views. I'd hate to think there were questions people dare not ask, due to fear of being verbally abused and ridiculed.

As long as things are kept civil, people can be passionate about their views without being insulting, and use it as a opportunity to educate. I've had very negative experiences on other sites, where I'm been name called, belittled and attacked just for a simple viewpoint that the individual took issue with. And not even a controversial viewpoint either. Just mentioning it, as stuff like that reflects badly not only on the person doing it, but the site for allowing that pattern of behaviour. But I digress.

Considering tong feeding is such a loaded topic, this discussion hasn't been nearly as bad as some of the stuff I've seen and experienced.

Like @viper69 explains, the rankings mean little about the person's expertise/length of time in the hobby, as they are based on the amount of postings. I largely ignore them, but if someone has a high ranking they probably have something worth knowing about!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A topic like this is obviously going to elicit strong opinions on both sides. All the more reason to discuss such, to hear both views. I'd hate to think there were questions people dare not ask, due to fear of being verbally abused and ridiculed.

As long as things are kept civil, people can be passionate about their views without being insulting, and use it as a opportunity to educate. I've had very negative experiences on other sites, where I'm been name called, belittled and attacked just for a simple viewpoint that the individual took issue with. And not even a controversial viewpoint either. Just mentioning it, as stuff like that reflects badly not only on the person doing it, but the site for allowing that pattern of behaviour. But I digress.

Considering tong feeding is such a loaded topic, this discussion hasn't been nearly as bad as some of the stuff I've seen and experienced.

Like @viper69 explains, the rankings mean little about the person's expertise/length of time in the hobby, as they are based on the amount of postings. I largely ignore them, but if someone has a high ranking they probably have something worth knowing about!
Actually the Old Timer tag is not based on posting number. It is based on length of time as an AB member, nothing more.

If it was based on post number @cold blood would be one and he is not, yet.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Actually the Old Timer tag is not based on posting number. It is based on length of time as an AB member, nothing more.

If it was based on post number @cold blood would be one and he is not, yet.
Haha. I didnt even know that post numbers have a counting going on. I did see there are trophies and another things but never minded about what it really is.

Answering your other thread:
I personally dont care about these labels, besides learn, my intentions towards the forum are share experiences and information, specially towards the science field.

However, I won't blind myself and agree with one, just because of an old time tag, I believe with respect (and a lil bit of humour) we can have a healthy debate explaining our points.

Also, sometimes text messages can sound arrogant and can be easily misunderstood so, I try to pay attention to that, sometimes it works. Lol.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I generally don't tong feed. I usually just chuck prey items into a web or in front of my spiders and they go for it.

The one exception was my recently deceased Avic avic, who was a poor eater and a terrible hunter. He also was garbage at getting prey items from tongs. He was not a smart boy.

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I generally don't tong feed. I usually just chuck prey items into a web or in front of my spiders and they go for it.

The one exception was my recently deceased Avic avic, who was a poor eater and a terrible hunter. He also was garbage at getting prey items from tongs. He was not a smart boy.
Damn, my pink toe is awesome. I wouldnt talk like that about it. Pretty funny comment tho, r.i.p to commander bacons avic avic

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Damn, my pink toe is awesome. I wouldnt talk like that about it. Pretty funny comment tho, r.i.p to commander bacons avic avic
He was an idiot. I will smear his name forever.

At least he finally matured out and I was able to breed him before he bucked the kicket. I kept one of the slings, and it's also not a great eater, so I guess I got what I deserved.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I tried the multi quote stuff it did not work. I am to lazy to paste and copy.

1.) Your time in keeping tarantulas means almost nothing. Because we have these things call school where the old in part their knowledge onto the young. I have a tarantulas keepers guide, 1st edition that is so inaccurate it is almost comical. But people have been keeping tarantulas by that book since 1984 and doing it well. But you should listen to those that have made the mistake you are going to make and maybe help you not do it.

Baz Luhrmann said:
Be careful whose advice you buy but be patient with those who supply it
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past
From the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts
And recycling it for more than it's worth
2.) There are very few wrong ways to keep a tarantula and many, many, many, many, right ways. Avics are a good example. They where considered an advanced species because, to be honest, only advanced keepers could keep them alive. Then someone, after losing a lot of spiders, figured out that he was doing it wrong. He/she then posted on the internet their history of blisters and now avics are beginners species. Just because it works for you, does not mean it works for everyone. And just because everyone says it works for them, does not mean it will work for you.

3.) Feeding bowls and feeder runs are common in other animals hobbies. I would google bearded dragon bowls and chameleon feeder runs. Both work. Or you do what I do, teach them to eat pre killed.

4.) If you tong feed and think you can do it safely, ok do it. It is your animals, do as you see fit. Understand that tong feeding should be considered optional and should not be told to beginners. It can be dangerous and should to be done. I used to hand feed my B albo. Hand feed. Pinch the cricket between two fingers and hold it out. She would use her pedipalps to spread grab on, carefully use her fangs to slide between my two fingers and eat the prey. She did this for almost 20 years. But because I got away with it, does not mean you should do it. DO NOT HAND FEED YOUR TARANTULA.

5.)About the arguments. When I first started on these forums, I wondered why the professionals don't come on here and post. Why they remain quite. Then I learned that the infighting creates a no win for them. They can not tell you what they do and don't do because they know it will only lead to fighting. I left this forum for a while because, well I was really busy, but two, because the optics of getting into the fray did not work out for me. It was easier to shut up and let people do stupid then stand up and point it out. But now I really don't care. I am getting too old.

So what is the point of it?
Well the point is this. There are not many ways to completely screw up this hobby. What works for me in Oregon will never work for someone in Europe or Florida. What works for a breeder in Mexico will not work for a breeder in Canada. Just because you got away with it 1 million times does not mean the next person will get hurt the first time. Just because it got you the first time means it is a horrible way of doing it.

So in saying that.

In my personal experience and opinion tong feeding is bad idea. You can do it, but it is not a good idea.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
If you dont use tongs at all how do you do it? grab a feeder with your hand and then chuck it into the enclosure? I have had Red runners cling to the out-of-view side of my hand and try to make a break for it. Usually i pick up the roach with tongs and drop it close to the spider, keeping the tongs pretty far away. Is that what you guys are talking about, or basically spoon-feeding with tongs, bringing the feeder all the way up to the T and only letting go when it gets grabbed?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
If you dont use tongs at all how do you do it? grab a feeder with your hand and then chuck it into the enclosure? I have had Red runners cling to the out-of-view side of my hand and try to make a break for it. Usually i pick up the roach with tongs and drop it close to the spider, keeping the tongs pretty far away. Is that what you guys are talking about, or basically spoon-feeding with tongs, bringing the feeder all the way up to the T and only letting go when it gets grabbed?
Tong feeding is literally put the prey near the spider, or even in their mouth.

I tried the multi quote stuff it did not work. I am to lazy to paste and copy.

1.) Your time in keeping tarantulas means almost nothing. Because we have these things call school where the old in part their knowledge onto the young. I have a tarantulas keepers guide, 1st edition that is so inaccurate it is almost comical. But people have been keeping tarantulas by that book since 1984 and doing it well. But you should listen to those that have made the mistake you are going to make and maybe help you not do it.

2.) There are very few wrong ways to keep a tarantula and many, many, many, many, right ways. Avics are a good example. They where considered an advanced species because, to be honest, only advanced keepers could keep them alive. Then someone, after losing a lot of spiders, figured out that he was doing it wrong. He/she then posted on the internet their history of blisters and now avics are beginners species. Just because it works for you, does not mean it works for everyone. And just because everyone says it works for them, does not mean it will work for you.

3.) Feeding bowls and feeder runs are common in other animals hobbies. I would google bearded dragon bowls and chameleon feeder runs. Both work. Or you do what I do, teach them to eat pre killed.

4.) If you tong feed and think you can do it safely, ok do it. It is your animals, do as you see fit. Understand that tong feeding should be considered optional and should not be told to beginners. It can be dangerous and should to be done. I used to hand feed my B albo. Hand feed. Pinch the cricket between two fingers and hold it out. She would use her pedipalps to spread grab on, carefully use her fangs to slide between my two fingers and eat the prey. She did this for almost 20 years. But because I got away with it, does not mean you should do it. DO NOT HAND FEED YOUR TARANTULA.

5.)About the arguments. When I first started on these forums, I wondered why the professionals don't come on here and post. Why they remain quite. Then I learned that the infighting creates a no win for them. They can not tell you what they do and don't do because they know it will only lead to fighting. I left this forum for a while because, well I was really busy, but two, because the optics of getting into the fray did not work out for me. It was easier to shut up and let people do stupid then stand up and point it out. But now I really don't care. I am getting too old.

So what is the point of it?
Well the point is this. There are not many ways to completely screw up this hobby. What works for me in Oregon will never work for someone in Europe or Florida. What works for a breeder in Mexico will not work for a breeder in Canada. Just because you got away with it 1 million times does not mean the next person will get hurt the first time. Just because it got you the first time means it is a horrible way of doing it.

So in saying that.

In my personal experience and opinion tong feeding is bad idea. You can do it, but it is not a good idea.
Don't know how to multi quote, the times I did, it was lucky, I only know how to quote the whole answer, answering:

1) Totally agreed.
2) Imo, they are still on advanced level.
3) I believe this one wasnt for me, in my personal experience, I don't believe it is necessary, though.
4) Hand feed, on the other hand, is something I'll always disagree.
5) I was trying to be quiet, just posting pictures in here and making punctual comments, but ended up in this snow ball.

Lastly, agree on the whole, "what works to someone, wont necessarily will work to other one."

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

Indeed you were.

Are we all perfect- no.

Disagreeing with me is just fine. I stick to superworms as theyre much easier to keep alive than crickets, they last 100 times longer, and dont smell at all. i get crickets once every few months for so for stuff that refuses to eat the worms. i have a few poecilotheria like that. Or skittish spiders who i rarely am able to entice with tongs. I breed mealworms simply because its easy, and with all the arboreals i keep tong feeding became very natural for me. I havent had issues since i got used to it, and it saves tons of time and money i would have to spend on criks.

@TheDarkFinder Thank you for your insight.

Who makes a POLL....gets incredibly disproportionate #'s.....just to disregard them?

🤣
I saw little evidence, a whole lot of opinions, and thus disregarded them. i appreciate you chiming in.

Last edited by a moderator: