Tolerance to chemicals.. spiders and Ts

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im beginning to wonder if we underestimate the amount of non-natural chemicals and other airborn substances our little 8-legged friends can really handle. I know ive read posts where people worry about a little bit of cigarette smoke or other chemicals around there Ts. (definitely not a bad thing to worry about) So heres my little observation.

I run a woodworking business and often have little jumping spiders or such that roam the shop. Right now there is a housekeeper spider (thats what we call them in Florida, long legs and fast as heck, roaming spider) that has been living in the shop for about 4 months now. I have sprayed litterely gallons of laquer in that time span, filling the room with fumes and overspray every time. The only source of water is my glue rag water bucket which is laiden with disolved glue almost all the time. Ive seen this little guy completely white covered in laquer dust and he just keeps on trucking. Molted twice so far that I could find. He just doesnt seem to mind all the harmfull bad stuff out there and I just spoted him this morning again hanging out looking for a meal.

Maybe they can really handle more then we give them credit for :)

Just my little observation, thought this might be an interesting read for you all.

Hope everyone had a good Holiday Season {D

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very interesting writeup:D , very impressive that the spider went through all that and is still going about things normally.:clap: and also, hello fellow Floridian!{D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the problem is that we don't know what the tolerances are... and some detrimental effects might take years to manifest

mercury poisoning in humans comes to mind.... that is nasty stuff but the effects take sufficiently long that hatters used to practically bathe in it.

another thing to consider is that the the toxic levels might take years to accumulate. True spiders typically don't live that long so they might not manifest any symptoms.

Also, the toxins might be teratogenic... they won't necesarily affect the T to all appearances... but the offspring might all be nonviable.

no doubt though, spiders can survive some things quite admirably

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Also the class of chemical will come into play.

Most LD50 are determined using an oral dose with a rat.

However some substances affect different organisms in different ways.

So an organic solvent would/should be very different than nicotine

BUT I do agree they are tough...

what kind of wood shop? what kind of stuff do you make?

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello also Ando55 :)

Ill try to get a pic of it this weekend. Dont see her everyday, theres a lot of places for it to hide in the daytime. Its a mean little sucker though, you get close to it with anything at it bites it and hauls butt, lol.

O, and I build hierloom/investment quality furniture and some Studio (Art) furniture if I get the luck of finding someone who can afford it :wall:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello also Ando55 :)

Ill try to get a pic of it this weekend. Dont see her everyday, theres a lot of places for it to hide in the daytime. Its a mean little sucker though, you get close to it with anything at it bites it and hauls butt, lol.

O, and I build hierloom/investment quality furniture and some Studio (Art) furniture if I get the luck of finding someone who can afford it :wall:
Take a pic when you can Doug, i sent back a pm your way, enjoy your Ts, what's in your collection btw? I forgot to ask in the reply to your PM...:wall: