Toledo, OH. Zoo

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
been going to this place since 1965. Many of the buildings are from the WPA program, yet still very functional. I have 2 friends that are curators in the Herp. area, and my kids and I took a little behind the scenes tour. If you are ever in the area, it is well worth the visit. they have a Hippoarium, an excellent Polar Bear exhibit, and their Ape / Monkey exhibits are wonderful. Follow this link if you'd like; http://www.toledozoo.org/. Now, we only went to the Reptile house, so I will just have to go back an photo other areas.

First an Armadillo Lizard
2nd, a Black Monitor
3rd, Frilled lizard
and 4th,a Gaboon Viper

Attachments

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pictures! They actually let people touch the beaded lizard? I thought they were poisonous..

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Very nice pictures. I like the frilled dragon in action.

Nice pictures! They actually let people touch the beaded lizard? I thought they were poisonous..
They have a venomous bite, but are otherwise harmless (discounting the foul odoured substances they can bring forth from their vent in their own defense).

Cheers,
Dave

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ryan Maguire / I was given a guided tour behind the scenes. Our encounter was not the norm. The Gila was one of the "nicer" ones according to the curator.
Here are a few more from the visit:
1st-My favorite lizard of all times, the Monkey Tailed Skink. Had one of these for years. Came to me as a wild caught adult, and passed last year.
2nd-A Pancake Tortoise.
3rd- A Three Toed Sloth. It is roaming free in this huge Rainforest Room, and is always a chalange to locate.

Attachments

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last of this visit...

The Reptile House had their own Christmas tree, with some very interesting garland (1 & 2)
My sons where at the playground and found this. I later found out that it was a Mole or Camal Cricket. I don't remember ever seeing one before. I will try to update as we visit. They had 3 Polar Bear cubs born this winter, and should be on display this spring. See ya!

Attachments

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another visit

This time we went to the Aquarium. Just so happens that the curator that gave us the tour, is also in charge of all the "bugs".
First 2 pix are pretty self explanitory. These spiders I was told were "found" in one of the buildings, reproducing on their own. They have some of them in this huge display case. Look closely and you will see several.

Picture #3, couldn't resist this on. Metal Scuplture of a Tortise, that kids must have their pictures taken on.

4 & 5 Amazing encounter with the Octopus.

Attachments

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That octopus is wild - Never seen anything like that!

I've got to tell ya, I hate those Monkey Tailed Skinks. At the first agency I worked for, the owner had one (stimpy) and one day it decided to grab on to my thumb - couldn't get it to let go! Left me with a nice scar.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
cool pictures. those rattlesnakes look great. get any close ups of the Nephila? or any other spider or bug pictures? :D

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice pictures!! The little snake neck turtle is adorable.

We have camel crickets all over the place here. I didn't realize they were an oddity.....how much would people pay for them?? ;P

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't forget the invertebrates

Plus the Toledo zoo has a whole building dedicated to invertebrates. At least they did the last time I was there 4 years ago. I am going this summer and will update you, with pics. It was the sweetest exhibit I ever remember seeing.

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
The Toledo Zoo has renovated their Aquarium, it is amazing now.

Also, the invertebrates have been moved into the Museum. They are tended by an ex-herp turned entomologist.

We were there very recently, last week, and got to behind the scenes in the invertebrates room. Very hot and humid in there. The guy was real cool, let us hold a giant leaf insect. All of this happened because my 5 year old daughter asked if the Dead Leaf Mantis was a boy or a girl!

If you can get to Toledo, the Zoo is totally worth the trip!!

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
Wanted to post an exciting update here!

I was told today by the entomologist at the Toledo Zoo that they have gotten funds for a larger inverts section. Apparently they will be redesigning and enlarging the inverts sometime in the next year or two. This not only includes displays but the behind-the-scenes work space/storage as well. Very exciting!