Tokays....

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep the Canadians posted as to when you've got little ones for sale!
The babies will be going to Next Year Reptiles...not sure if they'll be selling them or not but I will keep you posted regarding that.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now sometimes we had tokays at work (of course the vendor always sent up whatever sex they felt like it so I'm not sure if we had groups of males, females, or a mix). When I first started with them, I wasn't really familiar with the species so I of course stuck my hands in there doing cage maintainance. I was neither barked at nor bitten and I could never figure out why. Whenever someone else stuck their hands in there they would get all angry and try for fingers. I'm wondering if they'd come to recognize the leather gloves because I was the only one that stuck my bare hands in the tank.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now sometimes we had tokays at work (of course the vendor always sent up whatever sex they felt like it so I'm not sure if we had groups of males, females, or a mix). When I first started with them, I wasn't really familiar with the species so I of course stuck my hands in there doing cage maintainance. I was neither barked at nor bitten and I could never figure out why. Whenever someone else stuck their hands in there they would get all angry and try for fingers. I'm wondering if they'd come to recognize the leather gloves because I was the only one that stuck my bare hands in the tank.
Hard to say whether they recognized the gloves or not. They're pretty good with Wolfy and I depending on their moods at the current time. I would be very surprised if there was more then one male in the set up at your work (depending on the size of the set up of course) We can NOT have more then one male in our tanks here or there is some pretty nasty fights.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can these or any other geckos be tamed? ... I caught indo pacific geckos in FLA and they did not bite but I hear the tokays are really pissy...

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can these or any other geckos be tamed? ... I caught indo pacific geckos in FLA and they did not bite but I hear the tokays are really pissy...
The only ones I would not handle are the green eyes and tokays. Other geckos yes you can handle. Tokays can be tamed but it takes a lot of work and it's basically through breeding. There is a man in the Ottawa area that does have tame tokays that can be held. Depending on the mood of some of ours, I have witnessed Wolfy hold them and they do eventually calm down. He's actually had them laying on their backs while he rubs there belly. It takes a lot of time and patience...but they don't stay calm for long...lol

Last edited:

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just from the research I've done on these lil buggers, I honestly don't believe there isn't any way to actually tame them down, they are by nature feisty and bitey, and skittish. Why try to inpose our will on such an awesome creature, if god had meant for them to be handled, he woulda made them calmer...

Little Rays Reptile Zoo in Kemptville currently houses some of the tamest Tokay in the province, 8 and 10 inch little beasties sittin on your hand like Leopard Geckos....BUT, although tame and apparently docile, they all carry the nasty Tokay bite, and trust me ,,,,, it hurts like hell....maybe if a person got one from birth, and handled it literally every day of it's life you could tame it down enough to "Tolerate" humans and bein handled.... but even then... I doubt it....

I have soft spot for these lil monsters...

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have other geckos here that I can handle... and I still don't, not very often anyhow. I have everyone in live planted set ups (except for brand new hatchlings) and they seem to be very happy, as long as I keep the bugs and fruits (where applicable) coming regularly.

There's just something about the Tokay... I dunno... their beauty and their "nature" makes me have full respect and admiration for them. I like them just the way they are... FIESTY!! 'Course, the bite is still nasty... but maybe I shoulda seen it comin' and avoided it better......... I am in their territory (viv) when it happens, afterall. :)

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We had leopard geckos that I rarely held either. I had Wolfy take a look at some of the tokays tonight...we have a couple that are extremely FAT!! Ohhhh this could mean more gifts stuck to the tanks soon. :clap: