Tokay Gecko

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just got one, :D
I tried to put him in his new tank today, man it was not fun. he wouldn't quit barking and biting at me. Plus he escaped in the closet and we had to take everything out and spent a good half an hour trying to get him.

But now all is fine and he looks all cute in his tank :D

I have yet to name him. Any suggestions?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got one, :D
I tried to put him in his new tank today, man it was not fun. he wouldn't quit barking and biting at me. Plus he escaped in the closet and we had to take everything out and spent a good half an hour trying to get him.

But now all is fine and he looks all cute in his tank :D

I have yet to name him. Any suggestions?
call him George!

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^^ Not my dad's name!

Anyway we got a few in the house. lol. So noisy at night and wanders off from his home(a small crack in the ceiling/wall) to the bottom of the fridge.

2 years ago, I saw my Bassett Hound laying down at the bottom of the electric fan, with a dead tokay between his paws... putting it in his mouth.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your doggy ate your gecko? That's horrible. :(

I love the barking noise they make. :D

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just remember... their bite IS far worse than their bark {D

I have two of these lovely beasts. Habibi and Hannah. My female is much more vocal and vicious than my male who is nearly double her size. She's just an ornery ol' cow, I guess... to everyone but him. I often find her snuggled up with him. Cuddling Tokays.. how cute is that?! :p

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:drool: mmm tokays...........ive been bit by them,yeah they hurt and draw alot of blood from their bites:eek: i luv em anyway.{D

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heres some info I've already posted on taming tokays. As far as naming goes, I have enough trouble naming my one pets. It ussually takes me at least a year to understand an animal and pick out the perfect title for it. So no help there.
Thats really great that you love tokays, even with there temprment issues. But it doesn't have to be that way. If you take the time and energy, you can tame a tokay. We had a wild caught one in my 7th grade homeroom, in September it was as mean as it could be, yet after I was done with it, it was puppy tame by May. All I did was take her out every day for about 15 minutes. After this if she started to squerm I held on, but if she relaxed I would put her down. Also if she ever gave me a threat dispaly or tried to bit, I would give her a quick blast of water from a spray bottle. Over time this meathod has worked for me on several occasions. Hope it helps you guys tame you beasts.
Hope this helps ~ Rex

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your doggy ate your gecko? That's horrible. :(

I love the barking noise they make. :D
It wasn't his pet. Wild Tokays are common here in our country. I have one in my house, and a couple in the garden shed. Their eyes look "evil". They don't easily let go when they bite.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Their eyes look "evil".
Your not the only one who thinks so, many of my teachers were scared to death of my tokay, when I asked why the most common response is "those eyes, I hate those eyes." I really don't know why this is, tokays are my favorite geckos, I love everything about them, including their eyes.

They don't easily let go when they bite.
Ya got that right! One time in the early stages of taming, a tokay grabed on to my index finger and refused to let go for almost half an hour! If she ever relaxed her grip abit, and i moved to escape, she would clamp down again like a vice. That was a frustraing 25 minutes! ~ Rex

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rex,

I read somewhere that they submerge the tokay underwater to release their grip (bite). Have you tried doing this?

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few years ago I lived in an apt that was loaded with roaches. It was disgusting. In the basement of my apt. I had well over 250 fish tanks full of breeding fish. I used to make my living breeding and selling angelfish, discus and other tropicals to the pet stores in New England. Because of this I couldn't let exterminators spray in my fishroom. Which meant I couldn't get rid of the roaches. So finally I let a couple of tokay geckos loose in my cellar (fish room). Within months the roaches were gone. It was amazing.

One night my daughter come running to me saying "Daddy Daddy There's a dog barking in the fish room" It turned out to be the gecko. I can't believe how loud it was. I used to go into the fish room when the lights were out to visit my friends. They never let me touch them, but I loved to watch them.

Tom

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rex,

I read somewhere that they submerge the tokay underwater to release their grip (bite). Have you tried doing this?
I haven't tried doing so with my geckos, though it problably could be done for very very short periods of time. It may work, or it may cause them to bite harder, I have no idea. I have heard of this being used with snakes though. Not so much as holding its head under, but doing so that the shock of the cold water would cause them to release. My cousin, who once worked at an exotic pet shop, used this to get a nippy andaconda of of his hand.

I also tried this once, for when my JCP was little, he latched onto my thumb and would not let go! It was very frustarting cause I had theater rehersal in half an hour. I tried everything I could think of including the cold water method, which didn't work. Thankfuly he let on his own accord after 20 minutes and I got to school on time. ~ Rex

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So far he hasn't really bitten me so I haven't needed to try this :D
He nips at me a little, but never a full on bite.

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
i'd love to get one, if anyone could point me in the direction of a good breeder site i'd be very thankful..

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The latest female was purchased from Leaping Lizards: www.daygecko.com/. They were very nice and even gave me a discount after along conversation. I see them every year at the Chicago NARBC show and they are always happy to hear an update on my tokay. I've also seen thatrwww.acreptiles.com has a few nice looking CB tokays. Hope this helps, ~Rex