Toilet train your cat - partly

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Indoor cats, of course. Replace the litter box with slick, high density, easily cleaned plastic, or better yet, ceramic, like a baking pan. Add a very light sprinkling of cat litter. Place next to the toilet. At least every day, empty, hose clean, and spray with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide disinfectant. This is extremely important. It may be hard to come by right now because it's the weapon of choice to knock Covid out of the air and off surfaces.
Eventually the cat(s) will start going pee in the toilet and sometimes poo as well. They aren't as fussy as where they go poop.

How does this work? Simple. Cats and dogs spacial relationship is by scent just as humans are from visual cues. That is why a cat or dog will always want to sniff you, even when they know you well - they require the olfactory confirmation.
Hydrogen peroxide - detergent sprays or solutions, completely eradicates all odors. Does. Not. Exist. Nearly all cats do pee duties in tune with scents, and will usually go in the same place or another cats preferred location. Eventually, with all olfactory cues eliminated, the cat will seek out other locations that smell like pee. Your toilet.

One of our cats took the hint and started peeing in the toilet. The other two cats preferred a gutter on our roof. I almost bathed our place in the H2O2 spray for about 10 days, ferreting out every place they might go pee. Somewhat reluctantly, all three are now perching on the toilet rim. Once one started leaving it's scent in the toilet the others followed suit.

All the above is the easy part. Now I'm pondering teaching them how to flush.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Indoor cats, of course. Replace the litter box with slick, high density, easily cleaned plastic, or better yet, ceramic, like a baking pan. Add a very light sprinkling of cat litter. Place next to the toilet. At least every day, empty, hose clean, and spray with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide disinfectant. This is extremely important. It may be hard to come by right now because it's the weapon of choice to knock Covid out of the air and off surfaces.
Eventually the cat(s) will start going pee in the toilet and sometimes poo as well. They aren't as fussy as where they go poop.

How does this work? Simple. Cats and dogs spacial relationship is by scent just as humans are from visual cues. That is why a cat or dog will always want to sniff you, even when they know you well - they require the olfactory confirmation.
Hydrogen peroxide - detergent sprays or solutions, completely eradicates all odors. Does. Not. Exist. Nearly all cats do pee duties in tune with scents, and will usually go in the same place or another cats preferred location. Eventually, with all olfactory cues eliminated, the cat will seek out other locations that smell like pee. Your toilet.

One of our cats took the hint and started peeing in the toilet. The other two cats preferred a gutter on our roof. I almost bathed our place in the H2O2 spray for about 10 days, ferreting out every place they might go pee. Somewhat reluctantly, all three are now perching on the toilet rim. Once one started leaving it's scent in the toilet the others followed suit.

All the above is the easy part. Now I'm pondering teaching them how to flush.
Very cool I will have to try this out Snark thank you for posting 😊 would also be interesting to see if they will flush 😆

The Snark

Old Timer
Very cool I will have to try this out Snark thank you for posting 😊 would also be interesting to see if they will flush.
Diligence is the key here. Remove all existing and potential scent locations and if they find new ones, make certain the scent gets completely removed. Essentially, they end up with no choice.
Also, I noticed one cat has used the toilet several times and the others got into the swing of things so spiking the toilet with cats pee, gloves and a rag wiping up pee, kept in a sealed container and wiped around the rim of the toilet as an idea, should expedite things.

Flushing. There already is automatic sensor self flushing toilets. Being an electrical engineer I know KERZAPs quite well. As such I'm just a little leery about relieving myself into a 220 volt appliance. :arghh:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
knew a guy who kept cats. My friend broke into his house and took a massive crap in his cats litter box. That guy thought something was severely wrong with his cats seeing a massive pile of crap in his cats litter box. Never figured out that it was human crap. Thought one of his cats produced those logs.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
knew a guy who kept cats. My friend broke into his house and took a massive crap in his cats litter box. That guy thought something was severely wrong with his cats seeing a massive pile of crap in his cats litter box. Never figured out that it was human crap. Thought one of his cats produced those logs.
He probably thought for the first time in his life his cat's poop didn't stink as bad 🤣😆

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
As much as I love my 2 cats, I'll be damned if their asses even get close to my throne!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
They make toilet-training kits for cats that actually mount over your toilet seat. They have removable donuts with different-sized holes in the middle. The idea is that you make the centre hole incrementally bigger over time until they're just standing on a thin ring, going directly into the toilet. Tried it with my two for about a year - one took to it just fine but the other would always balk once the hole got past a certain size. Eventually gave up because it was annoying having to remove the litter tray every time I needed to use the toilet.

The Snark

Old Timer
As much as I love my 2 cats, I'll be damned if their asses even get close to my throne!
It's the my throne part that just doesn't work. For a brief period our household consisted of six girls and one bathroom.
To paraphrase Gibran, "Your bathroom is not your bathroom. It dwells in the house of tomorrow which you shall not enter, not even in your dreams."

I was reminded of this yesterday. Snit, the other male of the house, came up stairs in the hopes of using our (human oriented) toilet. apparently the girls had taken over the one down stairs. I had approached the doorway to find it occupied. Snit came up beside me and made the same discovery as I contemplated my optional alternative to the miles of sage brush on the vast desert of my past. I looked down at Snit who looked up at me. 'Yeah guy. Get used to it. A mathematical formula along the lines of the highest prime number. The chances of a bathroom being available is in inverse proportion to your urgency to use it'.

There is one aspect that the orient has the western world usually fails miserably at. Oriental culture. Along the lines of no shoes in the house, all bathrooms are waterproof ceramic tile, floors and 5 feet up the walls. A drain in the floor and a convenient squirt hose next to the toilet that replaces the fantastical waste of paper. Just grab the hose and spray down the entire waterproof bathroom in a few seconds. Follow up with the sanitizing spray as required.
One of the dumbest moves in the world is carpeted bathrooms with wood floors beneath - especially in homes where quantities of beer is consumed. Eventually you end up with a bathroom - hog wallow that even the rudest mangy alley cat studiously avoids.
Ever mucked out a hog wallow? Quite similar to a well aged American bathroom where the floor around the toilet has rotted out.

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Funny, I recall that Gibran quote a little differently 😂

Though admittedly, children can be rather filthy 😱

The Snark

Old Timer
Funny, I recall that Gibran quote a little differently
How absolute the knave is! We must speak by the card else equivocation will undo us!
Okay okay. A little liberty taken. See the present religious thread, re, the Bauble, for Uther examples. (Count them lie-berties, I darest ewe! Innuendo, outduendo, but soft tis fair Amnesia come to stay a while. The question is not what you look at but where you pee. With apple-ogies to H.D.T.)

Last edited:

KenEnd

Arachnopeon
They make toilet-training kits for cats that actually mount over your toilet seat.
...Eventually gave up because it was annoying having to remove the litter tray every time I needed to use the toilet.
I'm in the same boat. I've tried to toilet train my cat several times but it's never stuck. She gives up when the hole gets too big as well. She's so determined not to use the toilet, she used the shower drain instead once.
I've never tried the hydrogen peroxide bit to remove smells. I'll have to try that next. She's very smart and can figure it out I'm sure. She just hasn't had the proper guidance. Thanks Snark!