Toff22's Araneomorphae and other Mygalomorphae

Toff202

Arachnoknight
0.1 Viridasius sp. "sylvestrisform"

Viridasius sp. "sylvestrisform" 1FH (my own offspring)

Ctenidae sp. "Red Fang"

Ctenidae sp "Mali" (suspected female)

0.1 Holconia insignis

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ugh, just when I said I wouldn't get any more spiders....your photos are amazing, I love all the spiders! Question, I want to get into Ctenidae and Sparassidae, but I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not sure how long they live for. In your experience, how long do the males and females of various species tend to live for?

Toff202

Arachnoknight
Ugh, just when I said I wouldn't get any more spiders....your photos are amazing, I love all the spiders! Question, I want to get into Ctenidae and Sparassidae, but I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not sure how long they live for. In your experience, how long do the males and females of various species tend to live for?
Thanks! I've only kept Ctenidae and Sparassidae for about four months, so I can't tell from my own experience. From what I've heard, females tend to live about 2-3 years and males about 1-1,5 years, if the adults aren't fed too much. So they don't live very long, unfortunately. That's mainly why I try to breed them, so I don't have to keep buying a particular species to have them in my collection. On top of that, it helps the hobby :) I really recommend them, I find them more interesting than tarantulas.

Amazing pictures and beautiful spiders!
Thank you :)

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! They're great, good feeding response and they're also calmer than most other Sparassidae.
I've only kept Heteropoda, Barylestis, and Olios, and all but Olios have proven lightning fast haha. I wasn't sure how the insignis would be.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
I've only kept Heteropoda, Barylestis, and Olios, and all but Olios have proven lightning fast haha. I wasn't sure how the insignis would be.
I only keep Heteropoda, Cebrennus and Holconia, and the Heteropoda are a lot more nervous than the other two. From what I've seen, I think Holconia is comparable with Olios in how calm they are.

Toff202

Arachnoknight
0.1 Holconia insignis (I'm feeding her well in preparation of a pairing)

Toff202

Arachnoknight
0.1 Holconia insignis (I'm feeding her well in preparation of a pairing)

Toff202

Arachnoknight
Kukulcania hibernalis

0.1 Hyllus diardi

0.1 Lycosa tarantula (Croatia) with egg sac

0.1 Heteropoda boiei

0.1 Africactenus poecilus (paired)

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great specimens as usual Toff.

Just a note on what you're calling Lycosa tarantula (i'm guessing thats how it was sold to you).
Unfortunately, that is a female of Hogna radiata, so called "false tarantula". As opposed to the much rarer Lycosa tarantula, this species is extremely common in the Mediterranean area, is a wanderer (not fossorial as L. tarantula) and has a much shorter lifespan.
It still is an extremely fun and reactive spider though (i still keep it every once in a while). :)

Toff202

Arachnoknight
Great specimens as usual Toff.

Just a note on what you're calling Lycosa tarantula (i'm guessing thats how it was sold to you).
Unfortunately, that is a female of Hogna radiata, so called "false tarantula". As opposed to the much rarer Lycosa tarantula, this species is extremely common in the Mediterranean area, is a wanderer (not fossorial as L. tarantula) and has a much shorter lifespan.
It still is an extremely fun and reactive spider though (i still keep it every once in a while). :)
Yes, that's how it was sold to me. I was doubting it was really L. tarantula, but I just labeled it as it was sold. And I was wondering why it's not burrowing :wacky: They're very beautiful spiders indeed. Thank you very much!

Last edited: