Today in the Spider Room?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My P. ornata sling molted and I discovered that I have a male. A little disappointed, but I'm still thrilled that I have a chance to keep this rare, beautiful species. I named him Mowgli after the Jungle Book. At the next reptile expo I go to, I'll be on the lookout for a female.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My N. chromatus is off her freaking rocker. I go to feed her today, take the lid off of her enclosure and while I'm getting the cricket ready she goes and does her best racing horse impersonation. Starts doing frantic laps around the enclosure and looks like she is .01 seconds away from escaping. I put the lid back on and she's still running like there's inherent danger before settling back into the corner she started in. I have no idea what happened there. She started doing laps well after I removed the lid (no movement from her at all as I was removing it), and there's no flashy lights in my room, no ceiling fan going off to make a breeze, nothing. I decided to not feed her today and we'll try again another day, but man I wish I knew what all that was about,

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
My N. chromatus is off her freaking rocker. I go to feed her today, take the lid off of her enclosure and while I'm getting the cricket ready she goes and does her best racing horse impersonation. Starts doing frantic laps around the enclosure and looks like she is .01 seconds away from escaping. I put the lid back on and she's still running like there's inherent danger before settling back into the corner she started in. I have no idea what happened there. She started doing laps well after I removed the lid (no movement from her at all as I was removing it), and there's no flashy lights in my room, no ceiling fan going off to make a breeze, nothing. I decided to not feed her today and we'll try again another day, but man I wish I knew what all that was about,
Could have been a shadow off your arm when removing the lid could be that she's a t and needs no reason or provocation to freak out 😆 I have an emilia that does the same thing if her lid is completely removed, I combat this by only opening her lid enough to drop food through and filling water when she's in her hide . Fingers crossed you have better luck next time 🤞

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Rehoused my two O. Aureotibialis tonight.

Was fairly uneventful except getting to see the beauty of these reclusive T's in the open for once.

Both are around 3-4". One is noticeably larger than the other which they have always been even though they are broodmates. Hence the weak nicknames I have given them "Big" and "little".

No threat poses, unimpressed by their speed even when they tried to bolt.

Only problem I had was "Big" took a fall from the top of the catch cup to the cardboard bottom I was using to seal the bottom when I was doing the transfer. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but she is clearly very fat and I hope it didn't cause any internal damage. Most likely not, but I can't help but worry.

Time will tell.

Big: PXL_20211108_065819415.MP.jpg PXL_20211108_065930896.jpg

Little:
PXL_20211108_070453349.jpg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Picture-day in the spider room!

Heteropoda sp flores
DSCN8368.jpg DSCN8365.jpg

Heteropoda davidbowie third instar
DSCN8376.JPG

Lady victori after molt...
DSCN8341.jpg

P. langenbucheri larves :)
PXL_20211109_173915341.jpg

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I need a P.victori in my future.

Actually had a choice between a P.victori sling and an A.genic juvie female last saturday. The sling was noticeably more expensive. Couldn't get both, had only so much cash on me, out of all stalls at the exotic pet fair, ONE was equipped for paying by card and this wasn't it, and the nearest ATM was actually quite far.
Having a soft spot for A.g. (everyone should have one), and given how rare the geniculata somehow is these days (at least where I live), guess what won.

Also. P.victori is JUST recently coming into the hobby here, so it's likely we'll see more in the near future. I can wait.

But I'm kinda steering off-topic, so, well, not today but yesterday, my Y.diversipes sling molted, which I half expected, with the behaviour, but it's still a relief. IMO first molt in your care is critical, double with arboreals. No pics yet, as it's in its web tunnel (or do people call it tube web?) and photos through the glass would be no good.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
My GBB, my first tarantula and the one in my avatar, died. He was a mature male. I did attempt to breed him, but that was ultimately unsuccessful.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perched half-outside its web tunnel, the recently-molted Y.diversipes gave me an impression it might be ready to eat. It was.
Meanwhile, A.genic finished it's day-long digestion of a dubia and is moving dirt about.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
things are getting real weird

came home from work, go into spider room as i always do and found that all 3 of my African arboreals have all made web hides in the exact same spot, all 3 were out at once, each bolted into the web hide in sequential order lol first H. Mac, then E. olivacea, then S. cal

like, granted i designed the enclosures to be both identical but also somewhat unique to each specimen so it’s just like, what’re the odds you know

curiouser and curiouser

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Woke up this morning and checked on my 8 legged buddies at usual. Captain Li Shang (1.0 C. schmidti) and Petri (0.0.1) P. sazimai are both flipped on their backs getting ready to molt. Can't wait to come home for lunch and see them wearing their new suits!

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The elusive Y.diversipes is out and about and seems hungry.

The roach I fed to my T.albo was gravid (still eggs, not nymphs)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Saw my A. anax for about 3 seconds today. Noticed she was out of her hide, and out loud I marveled at how little I actually see her. That scared her right back into the hide, lol.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Ichabod, my MM T. violaceus, passed away today. He lived for about year and 4 months after his final molt. Gonna miss the little guy. He had lots of personality.

corydalis

Arachnosquire
My C. lividus female worked pretty hard on her burrow recently, so I had to do some maintenance on her water dish. As I started to remove the dirt balls I heard some strange noise from her burrow. She was drumming. I checked her tunnel few seconds later and saw this:
IMG_1699.JPG

As I got back to the dingle berries persistently attached to the water dish, she drummed again, and to my utter surprise, ventured out to take a look what's going on. I decided to remove the dish to clean it outside, that resulted an instant threat pose which was quite unusual to me, since she behaved pretty shy so far.
IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
She pleased me with her beauty till I came. to the conclusion that she is not only pretty, but fat as hell.

She calmed down few minutes later, and retreated slowly. It really was an unexpected sight, also the fact that she responded with drumming made me suspicious that she might reached sexual maturity, with her last molt.
IMG_1807.JPG

8 legged

Arachnoprince
A busy Sunday in the spider room. All animals were watered and fed. My Lycosa tarantula slings were also on the line today ... There are 280 slings kept separately ... so almost 2.5 hours of assembly line work ... Open can, fruit fly on, close can ... again and again!
There are currently 81 adults, 31 species.
+ 280 Lycosa tarantula slings,
10 Hogna radiata slings,
10 Hogna schmitzi slings,
12 Heteropoda sp. flores slings,
2 Heteropoda davidbowie slings,
1 Hetropoda dagmarae sling,
10 Cupiennius salei slings,
30 Viridiasus sylvestris slings,
15 Barylestis scutatus slings,
50 Pterinochilus murinus (RCF) slings,
10 Chilobtachys kaeng krachan slings,
35 neoholothele incei slings (mixed classic and gold),
15 Theraphosinae sp. piura slings,
15 Psalmopoeus langbucheri slings,
3 Psalmopoeus reduncus slings,
3 Tapinauchenius cupreus slings,
2 Avicularia minatrix slings,
2 Avicularia pupurea slings,
2 Typhochlaena celadonia slings,
3 Aphonopelma johnnycashi slings,
2 Chaetopelma olivaceum slings...
...and some more...
As you can see, a Sunday can be filled with it ;-)

Ladies and gentlemen, please greet the man in black with me, Mr. JohnnyCashi (hatched 2021)!
DSCN8462.JPG

And here is another well-known musician: DavidBowieeee (3rd instar!)
DSCN8451.JPG

A spider with the most entertaining take-downs: Cupiennius salei (sling from 2021)
DSCN8458.JPG

They were all fed up here today!
DSCN8452.JPG DSCN8453.JPG

Heteropoda sp flores (young male):
DSCN8465.JPG

Group feeding!
DSCN8456.JPG

Another m m... Found a girl!
DSCN8443.JPG

Hatched almost exactly a year ago:
DSCN8449.JPG

Also one year old:
DSCN8447.JPG

The beauty (T. seladonia)...
DSCN8459.JPG

...and the beast (C. olivaceum)!
DSCN8464.JPG

And last but not least, a picture of V. sylvestris (4th instar):
DSCN8461.JPG

With this in mind, best regards from my Spider room!
DSCN8467.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: