Today in the Spider Room?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
A quick glance at my Ts before work told me my GBB and T. albo need water. Both of them completely face down in a mostly evaporated dish, to which I say "Well guys if you didn't WEB UP your water dishes I'd be able to give you water easier!" Of course these two are my most skittish so getting their dishes out is gonna be fun. Everyone else behaves nicely, letting me grab the dish and wash it out to give them nice fresh water. Not these two. :shifty:

Everyone gets $0.01 every time I said "dish" in this post.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Water dish saga day 2:
GBB back IN her empty dish. Tried to scare her away from it, she wouldn’t budge. T. albo keeps getting spooked TO the dish no matter what I do. These two simply do not want new water I’ve deduced.

EDIT: came back to my T. albo and he was off the dish so I thought now is my chance, I open the enclosure and be RACES over to the dish and plants a single toe on the rim. This little dude I swear.

Last edited:

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
This old man passed away, I. hirsutum. This wasn't his enclosure, his cork bark was suspended and he wasn't able to climb the side any more to reach it so I moved him about 2 months ago. This is him right after I moved him, looking much happier. I raised him from a tiny sling, he was 1 year and 5 months mature.
Iris Sep 2020.jpg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Moto, my MM P. murinus, is reaching the end of his lifespan. He's looking a bit haggard, lost a leg a few days ago, and his abdomen is really shrinking. I hadn't seen him for a while so I was concerned he may have passed away. with a pair of tongs, I gently lifted his piece of cork bark and it looked as though he had passed away (looked like a semi-death curl). Not so fast. All of a sudden he catapulted himself towards me like a demented jack-in the box and scared the crap out of me. Obviously not dead!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Grabbed my T. albo sling enclosures yesterday to find them awfully dry. Turns out there was mould in there and that was blocking moisture was getting into the substrate. Had a mini heart attack thinking the smaller of the two was dead but after some prodding for a rehouse that one is very much alive. I've been working a lot this past week and didn't check up on them much, so I'm glad they're both ok. Hardy little buggers.

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
So, my Cyriocosmus ritae is now an adult. An adult male. :( I hoped for a female, but I guess that's life.. gonna bring him back to the seller and trade for something else, I guess. Maybe he can at least be bred then. Naw, that's my first adult male and I'm really a bit sad now.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
I'm devastated. Found my P. cambridgei sling dead in it's hide few days after the molt. :sad:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Just housed some P. Metallica slings. These little guys never fail to amaze. No other species quite like them. Just the way they move is insane. :)
94F5D443-24F2-43E5-87F5-C43572BD1FF0.jpeg

vounti

Arachnoknight
I fed my tiny slings yesterday.
Today I noticed a weird white thing at the bottom of my E. cyanognathus burrow. It actually was a molding bolus! I managed to lead the spider out of its burrow and take out the bolus while the spider was out. Pretty proud of myself for that one. I also got a picture of my sling which is a pretty rare occurence since it's burrowed 24/7

Attachments

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Couldn't find my B. boehmei last night. Her lid is weighed down so I knew she couldn't have gotten out. Grab a flashlight to look and that little thing is so far back in her hide like she's trying to dig to China. Then less than 5 minutes later she's out and about again. I don't understand this one.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
My T vagans sling has been buried for quite a while now... Hoping to see a fresh sling soon!
My T. vagans unburied itself yesterday after 50 days underground. It looked beautiful in it's new clothes. As soon as I opened it's enclosure to snap a picture, boom right back down the hole.

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
So, I've had my AF A. seemanni for 8 months. She's been doing fine, even molted.. but all out in the open, she never digged as I'd expect from the species. Guess what, she's finally digging a burrow! It's adorable to watch my little eight-legged mole carry substrate all around.

Danielhobbs1123

Arachnopeon
Thats so great. I have three seemanni, two of which did just that. One had an elaborate burrow overnight but the other two took months to dig and its so cool and exciting to see them doing their first excavating!

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
Oh well, there's more news. My friend gifted me 2 Heterothele villosella as a group project. He's more keen on OW ts and experiments than I am.. I even keep a single balfouri because I was too afraid to try more. Guess they'll stay together now. But I'll prepare a proper terrarium for them and then see how they'll do. Since they stay so small a 20x20cm cube should be enough I guess.

Edit: I might have to think further about this, there are contrary opinions on this.. 🤔

Last edited: